[New] Philips Fidelio X1
Jun 15, 2014 at 12:51 AM Post #4,576 of 5,962
SBZ plus X1 works great. My external amp has improved it, but not by any major leap in performance. @zDezor> the mic is pretty good actually I've found.

Jun 15, 2014 at 4:34 AM Post #4,579 of 5,962
I've mentioned it several times on this thread, for anyone who can get it: the Aune X1 Pro is an exceptional pairing with the X1, especially because of the price ($200+).

It's been better than the other 2 popular $200 pairing of the Schiit stack and FiiO E17/E09k combo. You have nothing to lose with the X1 Pro.

Otherwise, the X1 itself actually runs fine out of an E07/E17. Even a moderate D03k works fine. Remember, it's not the power the X1 craves. It's the dynamics behind it.

Jun 15, 2014 at 5:06 AM Post #4,580 of 5,962
  I've mentioned it several times on this thread, for anyone who can get it: the Aune X1 Pro is an exceptional pairing with the X1, especially because of the price ($200+).

It's been better than the other 2 popular $200 pairing of the Schiit stack and FiiO E17/E09k combo. You have nothing to lose with the X1 Pro.

Otherwise, the X1 itself actually runs fine out of an E07/E17. Even a moderate D03k works fine. Remember, it's not the power the X1 craves. It's the dynamics behind it.

The D03K is in my price range, but they don't seem to have a USB input.

Btw, do you notice that the bass on the X1 is slightly louder on the right driver than the left?

Jun 15, 2014 at 6:53 AM Post #4,581 of 5,962
Is the Hifimediy Sabre USB DAC 2 any good for the X1?

I think it's a pretty good DAC - http://hifimediy.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=87
It should also work as a basic amp. Reviews are positive and I was considering it not too long ago.

Jun 15, 2014 at 8:59 AM Post #4,583 of 5,962
BTW, do you know why the bass on the X1 is louder on the right side than on the left?

Sounds like a driver imbalance issue.
Try the headphone with different devices if you can.
If it is always louder on one side, you should send it back for exchange as this is warranty covered...
If you bought them new of course.

Jun 15, 2014 at 9:14 AM Post #4,585 of 5,962
I tested them out with different devices, the bass always sound louder on the right.

Then I guess you should contact the customer support of the place you bought it from.
This should be free of charge.

Jun 15, 2014 at 1:33 PM Post #4,587 of 5,962
Sorry, but since You have no experience with DACs and amps for cans and judge sound based on onboard soundcard - Your opinion about any can can`t be taken seriously. 
It`s quite pointless to ask opinion based on onboard chip but sound better in what parts? Soundstage, detail, clarity, transparency, layering, imaging etc. ?
You didn`t let your X1 even Burn-in properly, not to mention lack of proper DAC/amp. 

My bet is that X1 whoops HA-S400`s ass and I`m pretty confident it does 
biggrin.gif

Jun 15, 2014 at 1:40 PM Post #4,588 of 5,962
  Sorry, but since You have no experience with DACs and amps for cans and judge sound based on onboard soundcard - Your opinion about any can can`t be taken seriously. 
It`s quite pointless to ask opinion based on onboard chip but sound better in what parts? Soundstage, detail, clarity, transparency, layering, imaging etc. ?
You didn`t let your X1 even Burn-in properly, not to mention lack of proper DAC/amp. 

My bet is that X1 whoops HA-S400`s ass and I`m pretty confident it does 
biggrin.gif

Yeah, x1 without burn and amp/DAC has less detail, transparency and clarity than the S400.

Separation, layering and imaging is better on the X1, but they're harsher as well. BUT then AGAIN; it is with onboard audio and the X1's with 1 hour of burn in and no amp/DAC.

Jun 15, 2014 at 1:53 PM Post #4,589 of 5,962
  Yeah, x1 without burn and amp/DAC has less detail, transparency and clarity than the S400.

Separation, layering and imaging is better on the X1, but they're harsher as well. BUT then AGAIN; it is with onboard audio and the X1's with 1 hour of burn in and no amp/DAC.

Woah, one hour? That's... being harsh to the cans!
I mean I sold mine to that happy guy above but I made sure to burn them in for many hours and used at least a decent DAC/amp...

Honestly though, what were you expecting with on board audio? That thing is the worst kind of source for headphones in general.

Jun 15, 2014 at 1:59 PM Post #4,590 of 5,962
  Woah, one hour? That's... being harsh to the cans!
I mean I sold mine to that happy guy above but I made sure to burn them in for many hours and used at least a decent DAC/amp...

Honestly though, what were you expecting with on board audio? That thing is the worst kind of source for headphones in general.

Well, a lot of people on the Fidelio X1 amp thread said that they don't scale that much, and some said they even sound good on onboard audio. So that's what I was hoping, turned out not to be.

But it doesn't matter, I got a pair with annoying channel imbalance, which I already packed in and will ship by Tuesday. I hope my next pair won't have that annoying channel imbalance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back