[New] Philips Fidelio X1
Mar 17, 2015 at 7:41 PM Post #5,266 of 5,962
  How do you guys remove the x1 pads? Is there a guide? 

http://www.head-fi.org/t/623013/new-philips-fidelio-x1/5250#post_11419155

Mar 18, 2015 at 12:20 PM Post #5,267 of 5,962
I am beginning to see how important it is for me to have removable pads. Anyways, this morning, I removed the pads from my X1 (my fingers hurt now as a result of prying the pads from that ridiculously strong glue). Everything is fine except:
  1. the pantyhose liner has come off a little and is no longer flush all the way around. This isn't that big of a deal since I can replace it with new pantyhose. I guess I need to find something as breathable as the original to not affect sound quality?
  2. I can't get the oil out of my pads with about 5-10 mins of squeezing. I will have to try something else.

Does anyone know where I can purchase X2 pads? Really would like the Mad/Alpha Dog ear pads on these as they were perfect for me.

EDIT: The second picture of this post definitely looks different from mine. 
http://www.head-fi.org/t/623013/new-philips-fidelio-x1/2610#post_9787730

EDIT 2: Nevermind, I see they removed the ear pads and not the ear pad and the plastic backing with the pantyhose attached. 

Damn.

Mar 18, 2015 at 2:04 PM Post #5,268 of 5,962
Hello guys 
I have x1's for long time now with Xonar STX as a source and i was thinking to buy O2 dac and amp combo
Do u guys think that this would be upgrade for me ? 
Thanks for any feedback 

Mar 18, 2015 at 4:29 PM Post #5,269 of 5,962
Hey guys, soon to be new member of the club on Friday when the X1s arrive.

I currently use a FiiO E10K + Superlux 668B, and I am infatuated with the 668Bs considering they only cost $30 via Massdrop. 

Anyways, my main question is how does the E10K pair with the X1?  Anyone able to share their positive or negative experiences with this match?

Mar 18, 2015 at 7:50 PM Post #5,270 of 5,962
Will be joining the club on Friday when mine arrive too.

Apparently these are warm 'phones. My Momentums are warm. Are they too similar? I do love my Momentums, but I wanted a pair that opened up a bit in the treble. Just a bit. Everything else about it is perfect to me. The graphs seemed similar enough minus the steep treble decline. Excited to get them in regardless. They'll be replacing my DT770s which had way too much bass for my liking. I listen to mainly rock, jrock, jpop, and some metal. Some modern orchestra as well.

Faceman, reading through this thread, I got the impression that the E10k wasn't a good pairing as it's a warm amp, which would make the already warm X1s even warmer. I don't have experience with the E10k though, so someone else with might be able to chime in.

Mar 19, 2015 at 3:31 AM Post #5,271 of 5,962
Officially joined the club yesterday. These things take comfort like nobody's business and sound fantastic. I think I still like my Sennheiser HD600s a little more overall, but these are totally the right set during a more EDM-heavy day. I've got them running out of a Topping TP30 hooked to a Topping D20 DAC. Also waiting for an aftermarket cable to show up since I've heard the stock cable, while very well-made, is not a good cable. Pics of my new beauty below:

Mar 19, 2015 at 5:39 AM Post #5,272 of 5,962
Nice! I didn't know Copper Colour has that kind of stand, mine's more basic....oh yeah, welcome to the club!
beerchug.gif

Mar 19, 2015 at 10:12 AM Post #5,273 of 5,962
  Officially joined the club yesterday. These things take comfort like nobody's business and sound fantastic. I think I still like my Sennheiser HD600s a little more overall, but these are totally the right set during a more EDM-heavy day. I've got them running out of a Topping TP30 hooked to a Topping D20 DAC. Also waiting for an aftermarket cable to show up since I've heard the stock cable, while very well-made, is not a good cable. Pics of my new beauty below:

Can you please post some detailed impressions between the X1 and the HD600 as well as the sound with and without the amp and DAC.

Thanks the pics look great!

Mar 19, 2015 at 2:31 PM Post #5,276 of 5,962

Can you please post some detailed impressions between the X1 and the HD600 as well as the sound with and without the amp and DAC.

Thanks the pics look great!

Thanks! I'll see what I can do, I feel like I'm quite bad at describing audio experiences. But I can already tell you right off the bat the Fidelios sound better without the DAC/amp compared to the HD600s. If you mean what I think you mean, I just plugged them into my iPod Touch 5th gen and listened some. The HD600s want more power as a high impedance can and that limits how it'll sound without an amp. As for the DAC, if you meant listening using onboard audio, I'm not ever going back to that again. Once you've had at least a decent DAC, onboard audio sounds like it's missing lots of frequencies, especially mine cuz the DAC chip on my board is kinda crappy; I have Realtek ALC892 in case you were wondering.

That's what I've been told, the stock cable, while being decent sort of stifled the X1. It opens up a little more with a decent 3rd party cable. BTW, I think I see you over at LTT as well.

Opens up even more? Wow, I already felt like these felt bigger than the HD600s. I'm not gonna have a new cable for this for another couple of weeks; bought one from China, same people that made the cable I bought for my HD600s. They're pretty cheap but the HD600s didn't suffer any compared to the stock cable so I'm figuring they at least use half-decent stuff in their cable. At the very least, it's likely better than the stock Fidelio cable.
  Nice! I didn't know Copper Colour has that kind of stand, mine's more basic....oh yeah, welcome to the club!
beerchug.gif

Thanks for the greeting!
beerchug.gif
Yup, it's quite a nice stand, but since it's aluminum and flat-topped, I got a block of acoustic foam carved out so I wouldn't mess up the headphone padding on my HD600s. It ended up suiting the X1s perfectly since the headband is so wide.

Mar 19, 2015 at 2:57 PM Post #5,277 of 5,962
@Midgetguy ,if You have a chance, try X1 with tube amp or tube buffered dac and also roll some tubes if chance. With great tube it will turn X1 into real gem imho :wink:

Mar 20, 2015 at 3:50 AM Post #5,279 of 5,962
  @Midgetguy ,if You have a chance, try X1 with tube amp or tube buffered dac and also roll some tubes if chance. With great tube it will turn X1 into real gem imho :wink:

Yeah? They're quite good already and I haven't gotten a new cable put on it yet. Maybe one day my bro will let me borrow his Little Dot. Don't remember if it's a MKII or MKIII or what tubes he's using, but I think he did some rolling. He has a set of HD650s which I've read these compare admirably to. Any experience with them?

Mar 20, 2015 at 10:26 AM Post #5,280 of 5,962
Hi guys, I'm a member of the club since the last saturday and pretty happy with them so far :)

But I have some questions for you : about the confort I'm having the issue that they are clamping to much in the lower region of the pads and I read that it was ok to bend the x1 slightly in order to have a better fit in the head. But can such an operation affect the sound and the soundstage, since it's basically a modification of the position of the headphone (and so of the hearcup) on the head ?

Another question quite different this time : do you think breaking in headphones through a great source affect the sound differently than breaking them in through a shi**y one ?
For exemple when I went from my xonar dgx soundcard to my onboard soundcard from my ultrabook, I noticed that the soundstage, the lower region and, to sum it up all, the quality overall just collapsed, and I'm wondering if burning them in through my laptop can leave "traces" about how the headphones will sound in the futur.

Sorry if the question sounds stupid but it's the first time I go for a real headphone so I want to be 100% sure about what I do to them :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back