[New] Philips Fidelio X1
Oct 3, 2013 at 2:06 PM Post #2,852 of 5,962
Is it that hard for you guys to get a lint-roller? Heck, if you don't want the roller itself, just get the lint tube replacements. Tear a piece out and start removing the dust, hair, whatever there is on the earpads.

I don't see it being a problem. Every type of earpad has issues in fact, if you think about it.

Pleather/synthetic
Most tears within a year and when they do tear, ugh.

Cushion/mesh
Attracts dust too, tears as well after a year, also creates unevenness over time.

Real leather
Heat, especially if you wear it in a warm environment. Will smell after a few years, might even tear if you don't take care of it properly.

Velour
Well, dust and other micro-organism magnet. Tears after a couple of years.

So what does this tell you? All earpads has issues. Just enjoy them.

Oct 3, 2013 at 2:38 PM Post #2,853 of 5,962
  Is it that hard for you guys to get a lint-roller? Heck, if you don't want the roller itself, just get the lint tube replacements. Tear a piece out and start removing the dust, hair, whatever there is on the earpads.

I don't see it being a problem. Every type of earpad has issues in fact, if you think about it.

Pleather/synthetic
Most tears within a year and when they do tear, ugh.

Cushion/mesh
Attracts dust too, tears as well after a year, also creates unevenness over time.

Real leather
Heat, especially if you wear it in a warm environment. Will smell after a few years, might even tear if you don't take care of it properly.

Velour
Well, dust and other micro-organism magnet. Tears after a couple of years.

So what does this tell you? All earpads has issues. Just enjoy them.

I think people are justifiably extra worried, mainly because ear pad replacements are not readily available. Although at least we now know that we can try pads from other manufacturers.

Oct 3, 2013 at 3:05 PM Post #2,854 of 5,962
I've got mine hanging quite close to the computer, and as observed by others the pads are virtual dust-magnets. I've got quite thick hair so it sheds like a cat's, so dust isn't my only problem. How would I go about keeping the pads fresh? I try to only use the headphones when I'm clean, but they get pretty dusty/hairy anyways. 

Masking tape

Oct 3, 2013 at 6:57 PM Post #2,855 of 5,962
Just tried these, had high hopes after reading alot of opinions.

Sounded ok with the stock cable, swapped a v-moda cable in there (as others have stated would help) and there was a noticeable better difference. I love the styling and the sound is very good but the comfort is not even close. I kind of had an inkling they might be problematic for me, I have small ears but a slightly taller head. I wanted to still give em a go though because I just love how they look. They sound good but I doubt I can keep em unless I figure out a way to make them comfortable on my head. I tried bending them but I didn't want to go too far with that in case I need to return em. We'll see.

Back to the drawing board maybe..

Oct 4, 2013 at 5:44 AM Post #2,856 of 5,962
  Just tried these, had high hopes after reading alot of opinions.

Sounded ok with the stock cable, swapped a v-moda cable in there (as others have stated would help) and there was a noticeable better difference. I love the styling and the sound is very good but the comfort is not even close. I kind of had an inkling they might be problematic for me, I have small ears but a slightly taller head. I wanted to still give em a go though because I just love how they look. They sound good but I doubt I can keep em unless I figure out a way to make them comfortable on my head. I tried bending them but I didn't want to go too far with that in case I need to return em. We'll see.

Back to the drawing board maybe..

That's a real shame you can't get comfortable with them.

I just got myself a pair of these. I also have the Audeze LCD-3 and the Burson Soloist. If I have these why did I get the Philips? I am also a musician and I like to keep headphones ready at my synths and other instruments without having to unplug and move them around all the time.

I read that the X1 doesn't do so well amped. I totally disagree. Stuck on the end of the Soloist I was absolutely gobsmacked. Of course its not an LCD-3 for a fraction of the price, but these headphones are punching well above their weight/price. Compared to the LCD-3 there are some of the finest details missing. Interestingly, the X1s make it sound like the reverb is turned up and you are listening in a large room, but doesn't have the breadth of soundstage that the LCD-3s have. The bass is accentuated but not too much but lacks the crisp timing and texture of the LCD-3s. But I have also heard the HD600s and the Denon D7000s and the X1 is not playing in a different league although I would still place the D7000 a couple of notches above the X1. It has its own tone, and the slight bass hump may deter some from seeing it as true audiophile...but then the D7000 is not much different in that regard. I noticed no treble harshness whatsoever and I am VERY sensitive to that. My over sensitivity at the higher frequencies meant that top headphones like the HD800 and Grado PS1000 are completely out of the question for me....they grate on my hearing terribly.

It is strange that the reselling price of the X1 is already as low as it is. It implies they are not selling which is a shame, because if this is Philips first go at this in recent times, I can't imagine what they are capable of next!

Oct 4, 2013 at 9:40 AM Post #2,857 of 5,962

It is strange that the reselling price of the X1 is already as low as it is. It implies they are not selling which is a shame, because if this is Philips first go at this in recent times, I can't imagine what they are capable of next!

Well philips recently sold their audio/video side to Funai, so there is kind of a "what's gonna happen" now vibe going on. It could end up being good or bad...time will tell. There is no doubt Philips have generally succeeded with their newer headphone line but if the future of repairs and warranties is in jeopardy it may be hard to jump on board for some. Especially considering the fact that these headphones are set in stone really...you have to send them back to get any repairs done etc.

I have to admit that is quite a big factor in why I am sending mine back, couple that with the fact that they just can't sit right on my head without modification and I am pretty certain these will be going back unfortunately.

Oct 4, 2013 at 11:59 AM Post #2,858 of 5,962

Well philips recently sold their audio/video side to Funai, so there is kind of a "what's gonna happen" now vibe going on. It could end up being good or bad...time will tell. There is no doubt Philips have generally succeeded with their newer headphone line but if the future of repairs and warranties is in jeopardy it may be hard to jump on board for some. Especially considering the fact that these headphones are set in stone really...you have to send them back to get any repairs done etc.

I have to admit that is quite a big factor in why I am sending mine back, couple that with the fact that they just can't sit right on my head without modification and I am pretty certain these will be going back unfortunately.

Yes I had forgotten about Funai. To be honest I have never ever had a headphone that required repair or has failed and I had some well over a decade old. That being said ironically the most likely headphone to fail is my LCD-3s which are pushing planar technology to the limit. Fortunately Audeze has a very good/rapid repair mechanism if it does happen. For the money I paid for the Philips I will live with the risk. But if they didn't sit well on my head, that would be a totally different matter.

Oct 4, 2013 at 12:17 PM Post #2,859 of 5,962

Yes I had forgotten about Funai. To be honest I have never ever had a headphone that required repair or has failed and I had some well over a decade old. That being said ironically the most likely headphone to fail is my LCD-3s which are pushing planar technology to the limit. Fortunately Audeze has a very good/rapid repair mechanism if it does happen. For the money I paid for the Philips I will live with the risk. But if they didn't sit well on my head, that would be a totally different matter.

Kind of surprising since you said earlier you have been a denon ah-d owner. The infamous cup falling off happened to me twice and I am a careful user.

Anyways, back on topic if Philips or Funai decided to make an Fidelio X2 with some subtle upgrades, not messing with the styling too much I hope. Also adding more adjustability and user replaceable (preferably leather or nice pleather) pad options I would be back in a heartbeat.

Oct 4, 2013 at 2:41 PM Post #2,860 of 5,962
I wouldn't worry too much about Philips's headphone future:
http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/visit-philips-research-labs
http://www.headfonia.com/making-high-quality-headphones-philips-ilab-belgium/

Oct 4, 2013 at 3:26 PM Post #2,861 of 5,962
Wow very nice articles, I mainly read the Headfonia one.

Didnt think Philips put so much effort into their audio. But now that I think about it, Philips have been pretty innovative in other fields as well (I recall watching a documentary about a Philips made smart house that was made for R&D purposes alone)

It doesnt mention whats going to happen with the Funai acquisition though, unless I skimmed over that by accident.

L2 looks very nice.
Wonder what the X2 will be like :xf_eek:

Oct 5, 2013 at 12:05 AM Post #2,862 of 5,962
  Of course its not an LCD-3 for a fraction of the price, but these headphones are punching well above their weight/price. 

They are definitely worth more than they are selling for. One of the best value headphones around right now. In my case, I found them to be super comfortable.

Oct 5, 2013 at 2:07 AM Post #2,864 of 5,962
I saw the new price at amazon.co.uk and ordered last night.

I'll have to wait until around next weekend though, since I had enough gift card balance for the phones but had to go for super saver since this month's budget is too tight to justify adding £8 for shipping across Europe.

I guess that means that this is the point where I no longer can deny I'm an audio junkie.
redface.gif

Oct 5, 2013 at 2:19 AM Post #2,865 of 5,962
Btw, chicolom... is an Astro amp worth going for if I want something for movies? I don't really care about top quality audio or even surround sound for that use, it's mostly that I need something not too expensive with an optical input and just enough power to drive full size cans.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back