NEW! Monster DNA headphones
Nov 5, 2012 at 1:10 AM Post #62 of 212
Quote:
Good to see this thread come alive since the DNAs are legitimately awesome headphones...too bad no one is talking about them.

OT:  SoCal Head-Fier?  You should come to the next L.A. Meet (check out my sig)!

Nov 27, 2012 at 10:04 AM Post #64 of 212
Quote:
Good to see this thread come alive since the DNAs are legitimately awesome headphones...too bad no one is talking about them.

I will talk about these. After asking HiFiGuy how they fared against the Diamond Tears, I picked up the DNA (on sale at Future Shop) yesterday. I was curious and had the full money-back 30 day return option. Looking at them, I expected nothing and was assuming I'd bring them back in a couple of days. Instead I got everything.

They are awesome. They have it all. Bass punch, bass extension, midrange clarity, smooth but extended treble without brightness, dynamics, PRAT. A fun and exciting listen but in a natural, unforced way.

I think there might be a slight bass emphasis, but it's in the lower/mid bass area, not in the usual mid/upper bass, where everything in that region gets overcooked, then bleeds into the midrange. There is no blurry bleed from the bass into the mids and treble on the DNA. In other words, recordings that have information in the lower/mid bass will come through clean on the DNA, but it will not "make up" bass that does not exist. So I'm not sure that an emphasis exists, since the bass seems to only appear when called for.

I thought I was hearing a very slight honk/nasal sound on a couple of vocals but it seemed that, again, it's recording dependent. I played three different Marc Jordan recordings, one sounded a bit honky in the vocal, the other two didn't.

So no boomy midbass, no scooped out midrange, no screechy or rolled off top end. Tight, dynamic punchy music. This may appeal to a few of you. Make that a lot of you!

Nov 27, 2012 at 11:56 AM Post #66 of 212
Quote:
So no boomy midbass, no scooped out midrange, no screechy or rolled off top end. Tight, dynamic punchy music. This may appeal to a few of you. Make that a lot of you!

That's what I've been trying to say, but hardly anyone has tried these things!  They are awesome.  Everyone needs to ignore the logo on the headband and give em a try.  Even at $199 they hold their own.  On sale, they seem to be ahead of the pack.

Nov 27, 2012 at 12:43 PM Post #67 of 212
They are on display in Best Buy. First things first. They look too 'bling-bling' to be considered a headphone for me. Next the isolation is really bad, even the Ludacris Soul (which is also on display) had better isolation than this. Even though both are on-ear, ludacris soul isolated the sound 10 times better.

My point being, once you get a good seal, the headphone by itself will make your players sing! A properly fitting seal is more important for me than a costly player, amplifier etc.

Nov 27, 2012 at 9:20 PM Post #70 of 212
Quote:
And comparing these with the Monster Inspiration... which are better overall?

I had the Perspirations. Hyped bass and treble, fat and slow, so the mids were a pig in a hammock.

Dec 5, 2012 at 10:17 PM Post #73 of 212
Quote:
Huh is a model actually cause I googled it and couldn't find it. 

he's talking about the inspiration 
rolleyes.gif

Dec 6, 2012 at 12:57 AM Post #75 of 212
I got the DNA's on Monday and had been burning them in with white and pink noise as that what people were telling me to do. I really like it the can's as they are comfortable for the most part, and the sound is surprisingly good for something with the Monster name on it. However, there is a caveat for me. The bass is a bit on the strong side. That said would the V-Moda M-80 I have seen mentioned here, be more or less the same SQ, but with bass that is bit more tame, or is there something else I should be looking out? I also noticed the Monster Vektr are about $22 more then than the DNA. Since these Monsters were a surprise, would those work for better for me? Thanks a bunch. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back