New Millett Hybrid MiniMAX (what happened to this thread?)
Jan 27, 2011 at 10:15 PM Post #1,816 of 1,948

Quote:
Yes - those are absolutely correct.  BTW, if you send Beezar an SASE - I'll send them to you for no extra charge.
smily_headphones1.gif

Would this change in the CCS resistors also help the older BJT Millett Max, which I have? If so, I might take you up on that (typically) kind offer.

Jan 27, 2011 at 10:45 PM Post #1,817 of 1,948

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Oops!  I knew I shouldn't have posted that from memory!  The distortion on the MiniMAX is improved by about 1/3 (still audible, IMHO).  The MOSFET-MAX's distortion is the one that's cut in half.  Regardless, major improvements either way with either amp.  Of course, the optimum loads still apply - MiniMAX is best for all-around and high impedance and the MOSFET-MAX does best with low impedance.
smily_headphones1.gif

I'm still a noob at this, so I just want to make sure I'm ordering the correct resistors.

1.15 KOhms
http://www.mouser.com/Search/ProductDetail.aspx?R=RN55D1151FB14virtualkey61300000virtualkey71-RN55D1151F

11.5 KOhms
http://www.mouser.com/Search/ProductDetail.aspx?R=RN55D1152FB14virtualkey61300000virtualkey71-RN55D1152F

Yes - those are absolutely correct.  BTW, if you send Beezar an SASE - I'll send them to you for no extra charge.
smily_headphones1.gif

I have to order a few more parts from you that I forgot to include in my last order.  I add it to the order notes section.  Thanks tomb.

Feb 10, 2011 at 7:58 AM Post #1,820 of 1,948
I just finished soldering my Millitt Minimax. However, when I tried to turn the amp on for biasing the fuse blew immediately. I have checked al parts and solder joints and I do not seem to have any shortages or parts mixed up. I did however turn all trimpots 20 turns clockwise. Could it be a problem that I also turned the power supply and tube bias trimmers down? Should I turn these back up?

Thank you in advance, I’ll take some pictures when it is working (or when I need further help :wink:)

Feb 10, 2011 at 3:28 PM Post #1,823 of 1,948
It's Alive!!!!

Changed the fuse for a 1.25A fuse and biased the buffer and tubes. Sound is delicious and very addicting.

Many thanks to Beefy and of course Tomb. His service and help are outstanding!

Will post pictures soon!

Feb 13, 2011 at 3:36 PM Post #1,825 of 1,948
I'm about to start mine - can't wait!

As I don't have a suitable AC supply (I'm in the UK), I'll be using a 32V 70W HP SMPS I managed to get for the bargain price of free - going to match transistors tomorrow and hopefully start the build this week. Very excited :)

Feb 14, 2011 at 9:13 AM Post #1,827 of 1,948
Could you elaborate? Voltage should be about the same 24V AC supply, so i'm planning to go into the regulator after the decoupling caps as per the schematic. Only change will be the rectifier section (DR1A jumpered, the rest unpopulated).

Feb 14, 2011 at 10:33 PM Post #1,828 of 1,948

Quote:
Could you elaborate? Voltage should be about the same 24V AC supply, so i'm planning to go into the regulator after the decoupling caps as per the schematic. Only change will be the rectifier section (DR1A jumpered, the rest unpopulated).

I'm not saying you can't do it, but there are a lot of factors to consider that may affect the proper operation of the amp.  A lot of it depends on whether you plan to utilize all those volts, or whether you plan on trying to regulate down to 27VDC, the recommended setting for the PS on the MiniMAX.

If you plan on using the 32V -
You only need a couple of volts from the LM317 to keep the voltage in regulation.  However, there is a physical limitation on the tube heaters.  Anything over 30V supplied to the amp circuit will lower the life expectancy of the tubes.  You'll need to resize R1 - there is a tweak page on the MiniMAX website with a graph that will show you how to do this: http://www.diyforums.org/MiniMAX/MiniMAXheaterResistor.php

Plus, I'm not sure how the LM317 circuit will react when fed from an SMPS.  It's quite possible that you'll be injecting a lot of high-frequency hash into the amplifier circuit that's not there with an unregulated, non-switching voltage source.  All of the filtering occurs before the LM317, so if you're bypassing all of that, it may adversely affect the sound quality of the amp. 

If you plan on regulating down to 27VDC -
Linear regulation is superior for sound quality.  However, it's very wasteful from an energy perspective and things get hot fast.  The 1" tall heat sinks used in the MiniMAX may not be enough to knock down the voltage that far.  Since the custom case is only 1" tall, that's your limit with the heat sink - but it may not be enough.

Feb 15, 2011 at 5:18 AM Post #1,829 of 1,948
Thanks Tomb. I was planning on retaining the regulator - it sounds like the best way to go and a lot of thought seems to have gone into the design.

I just measured the SMPS - it's 29.8V unloaded - I suppose that may change when it's driving something, but if it's around there that would reduce the work somewhat that the regulator has to do - and the heat that gets burned off in the case. Hopefully 3V of overhead will be enough for the regulator - sounds like it might be pushing it a bit, but that can be adjusted later if it's not happy. 

Tempted to give it a try as it's what I've got on hand...

I'll check the supply on an oscilloscope, but there seems to be plenty of supply decoupling - although I'm tempted to retain CR3B as well to help block out a bit more of the potential high frequency noise.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back