New member, just telling you about me. Also, requesting some help :P
Nov 2, 2010 at 7:11 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

hojomojo96

100+ Head-Fier
So I'm thirteen, but QUICKLY becoming an audiophile. I had skullcandies (I am now aware they suck. Balls.), and when they broke, I knew I didn't want to go back. I wanted quality. At the moment, I have Sentry's, but those are just to hold me over till my Kicker eb141's come in. (I have Woodies, ho470, and double flanged(?) IEMs, ho640). Just putting myself out there, letting you guys know I'm here, and will readily accept any advice.
smily_headphones1.gif

So thats my intro, heres my question:
How should I go about breaking-in/burning-in my Kickers? How long should I play the music, at what volume level, and what type of music? Any tips would be great!

Nov 2, 2010 at 7:25 PM Post #2 of 21
Generally burn in is done with a dynamic song on repeat for as long as you wish. By 100 hours most headphones should be close to fully burnt in. You should be playing them JUST above comfortable listening level. Not too loud that you will damage them, but enough juice to get them going.

Nov 2, 2010 at 7:27 PM Post #4 of 21
Here's some really great advice:  Don't listen to your music loud. No, seriously. Don't damage your hearing, and you'll be able to enjoy everything your music offers for a long, long time.

For burn-in, that's mostly with dynamic (moving-coil) transducers (check out the Technology heading in this article: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Headphones) there are different ways, but a good one is to make a playlist with a wide range of highs and lows, then let it play at normal listening volume (not too loud, remember?) plus 15% and let it play for a total of something like a 100 hours. The rest of the burn-in, if any, can happen while you're listening.

Also, don't be like that other 13 year old who read too much about expensive earphones and had some sort of breakdown. I'm not sure if he's still around...

Oh, and get to know this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Law_of_diminishing_returns and you'll never be unsatisfied on head-fi.

Nov 2, 2010 at 7:37 PM Post #7 of 21
Thanks, and don't worry! I listen to my iTouch on volume 1, any louder is TOO LOUD :p

The articles are great, and I'll try not to break down
wink.gif
I don't plan on going crazy, but when I have the impulse to buy some, and all lights say go, I'll go ahead and do it.

Anyways, thanks! This seems like a great, and helpful forum. By the way, correction, I JUST remembered, I'm fourteen. :p I turned fourteen this saturday, so I keep forgetting.

Nov 2, 2010 at 8:52 PM Post #11 of 21
Those seem great, but a little pricey for me.

Anyways, I'll write up a review on the Kickers when they come in, although I warn you, I am THOROUGHLY inexperienced.

Nov 3, 2010 at 1:23 AM Post #13 of 21
When I was 14, my best friend and I would ride our skateboards to the mall (back when high-end audio shops could be in malls), and ask to audition the newly-released Stax Lambdas (with the newly released Pink Floyd The Wall). We'd probably get thru two full sides (maybe 40 mins), and they didn't seem to mind.

It's great for your perspective (and to develop your ear), to listen to stuff that's way more expensive than what you can afford. Then you simply need to determine what sounds closest to it, that you can afford.

Nov 3, 2010 at 1:49 AM Post #15 of 21
yes, I am 19 now and I have only otoplastics (= custom earplugs) because I am afraid of this! (and you can´t get them remolded if the difference is too much...)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back