New Member Introductions thread
Aug 22, 2014 at 3:15 PM Post #377 of 15,526
Hello, everyone!

I love both music and audio equipment. I consider myself to be an audiophile, even if not as much as most people on this forum. I currently own Sennheiser HD800. I absolutely love them!

I have lurked around this forum for several months now -- in particular, this forum was very helpful with choosing a good amp for my headphones (I ended up buying a WA7 Fireflies -- my first tube amp, and I love it).

In terms of headphones, I also own Beyerdynamic DT990 and AKG K601, both of which I used before I upgraded to my Sennheiser HD800s.

I have never needed to post anything here before, as I have always found what I needed just by searching and reading what others have posted. Now, I finally decided to make an account.

In terms of music, I am mostly a fan of Metal (and its various subgenres, especially Progressive, Folk, and Symphonic metal), some rock. I also love folk and world music from all over the globe. Also, I sometimes listen to jazz and fusion (like Billy Cobham and such).

The thing I hate the most (from audio-related things): Loudness wars and bad mastering, especially if it clips.

Aug 22, 2014 at 3:58 PM Post #378 of 15,526
  Hello, everyone!

I love both music and audio equipment. I consider myself to be an audiophile, even if not as much as most people on this forum. I currently own Sennheiser HD800. I absolutely love them!

I have lurked around this forum for several months now -- in particular, this forum was very helpful with choosing a good amp for my headphones (I ended up buying a WA7 Fireflies -- my first tube amp, and I love it).

In terms of headphones, I also own Beyerdynamic DT990 and AKG K601, both of which I used before I upgraded to my Sennheiser HD800s.

I have never needed to post anything here before, as I have always found what I needed just by searching and reading what others have posted. Now, I finally decided to make an account.

In terms of music, I am mostly a fan of Metal (and its various subgenres, especially Progressive, Folk, and Symphonic metal), some rock. I also love folk and world music from all over the globe. Also, I sometimes listen to jazz and fusion (like Billy Cobham and such).

The thing I hate the most (from audio-related things): Loudness wars and bad mastering, especially if it clips.

Hi, how do you find the 800s with rock/metal? I'd be worried they'd be too cold/clinical?

Aug 22, 2014 at 4:47 PM Post #379 of 15,526
Hi, how do you find the 800s with rock/metal? I'd be worried they'd be too cold/clinical?

Well, to be honest, I don't have very much to compare to. The HD800s are the best headphones I have ever owned, and I don't have anything else of similar quality / price level. (HD800s are quite expensive, I can't really buy more similarly-priced headphones, but who knows, may happen one day :wink: i am now on head-fi after all (inb4 sorry for your wallet)).

Besides, I am the type of guy who reads up on audio, buys good gear, and then sits down and spends hours every day enjoying the music. I am not the type of guy who takes several different headphones and spends a lot of time comparing their sound signatures.

I personally love the sound of the HD800s for just about anything I listen to, but again, I don't have as much experience or room for comparison. I wouldn't really say they feel "cold/clinical". Or maybe I am just not as picky as most audiophiles. :wink:

The biggest reason for the HD800s IMO is the sound stage. These headphones have amazing sound stage and detail. I love them for that.

Aug 22, 2014 at 6:31 PM Post #380 of 15,526
Thanks tajjada, that's really interesting. I can't afford 800s, but maybe 600s, which I gather are closely related. I was worried they would lack punch, which is why I asked - like you, I like to buy once and enjoy the hell out of it, rather than constantly comparative shopping. Cheers, Steve

Aug 22, 2014 at 11:54 PM Post #383 of 15,526
New member here... lurked for a about a year, but was never interested in talking much about my hobby. That changed recently as I've gotten more and more invested into headphones. I started this journey about 2 years ago when I got my first set of headphones above 10 bucks. The Sennheiser HD-485 was the first headphone that made me actually understand why these products cost so much and how much of a difference they can make. About 4-5 months after that I upgraded to a Audio-technica AD-700 in which really got me into my music and made me wonder what something more expensive could get me and what it could do for my music. That led me to Head-fi in which I started looking around at what people thought was the cornerstone for many of them and it happened to be the legendary HD-600 (which i still own.) After getting the 600 I reached a peak of sort in which I was happy w/ what I had. Of course this didn't last long... about 3 months later i started looking into amping them as it was the next logical thing to do to get more and more out of what I loved. The Schiit Asgard and Bifrost were the option I went mainly because I was kind of overwhelmed by tube amps so SS was the way I went. After getting this setup i was actually quite happy and have yet to expand on my over-ear phones and began working on a portable setup for when I was at work or out jogging, and thus began my new journey into portable audio.
This adventure is still ongoing as I started out kinda like my over-ear venture started at the bottom, and have slowly worked my way up. I started out w/ the ever so modest Hifiman re-zero, which was by far and away from the bottom but was on the lower end of what I was used to at the time I tried them and was blown away. This led to a pretty quite upgrade as I was quite happy w/ the comfort of in-ears, so I got me a cheap Aurisonic asg-1 off ebay for like 150 I think (which was a steal imo.) ASG wasn't really my cup of tea as it seemed very bass focused, I'm all for bass but I was really off put by it for some reason maybe because it seemed to cheapen the rest of the spectrum. This led me to selling them off pretty quick and I picked up an Heir 4ai. I very much love them and actually find myself using it more than my home setup as I finally took the plunge into audio cables and portable players. My current setup I find myself using for most everything is dx-90 -> whiplash twag v3 hybrid -> Heir 4ai. I'm thinking of an upgrade here in the coming months and I'm thinking of going the portable route as I find my in-ears more comfortable. I'm trying to decide if I should get a 1plus2, as universals are the only kind of in-ears I've had, or just dive right into a custom like the noble k10. Thus is my current plight and it seems to be an expensive one either way, but introductions aside... Salutations everyone.  

Aug 24, 2014 at 12:56 AM Post #386 of 15,526
Hi guys, I just joined this forum a few days ago, I found this place via a couple of youtube channels such as hifiguy528, I'm not very tech savvy when it comes to the technicals of audios so I guess I will be asking a lot of questions, Sorry :p

Aug 24, 2014 at 2:02 AM Post #387 of 15,526
Sup guys, I've been on this site for 3 years long, but I didn't post a lot.
My headphone journey was quite a long one.
My first $20+ headphone was ****ty Beat solo (2011).
It was a horrible experience. I lied to myself every time that this ****ty headphone is the best, and it was a smart purchase (I spend $200 for this btw). I even thought beat is only high- end headphone brand in market. After 2 months of use this headphone's headband break. I was piss, but I can't do anything about it (I was being stupid and never read the warrant).  
Month after I found this awesome site, and people recommend me to buy ATH M50. This headphone made my jaw drop. I never hear music in such details before.
I was stupid enough to buy a second pair in white. (Lucky for me that my friend bought it from me  otherwise I would have same M50 hang in my room).
One year after that I started to have love-hate relationship with my M50 due to comfort. I began my new journey in search for most comfy headphone.
In the end I end my journey with DT990 pro 250 ohm($200). It's not quite comfy as many people claim it is, but it still better than M50. However, DT990 need a good amp to make it shine. I began my search for amp. My first amp was Fiio E6($20). Then I bought E11($50), then E17($130). These are good amp in its own price range, but it still bad for Dt990. So I gave up and kept DT990 in box.
Then I bought V-moda LP($80) for no reason what so ever. I use it for a 2 hours. I hate it because it does not fit my head. 
Then I bought Ath Ad900x($250), It was my first open airy headphone. This headphone made me realize that headphone usually made to fit specific type of music in mind.
Then I bought Ath Ad2000x($530) this month, and I'm loving it.
I wish I didn't spend my $$$ on some of these headphones (Beat solo, V-moda, DT990).
Moral of this story is never spend your $$$ on something you never do extensive research on, and if u live in US return every items that you dislike.
Rip my wallet.   

Aug 24, 2014 at 7:23 PM Post #389 of 15,526
Hi folks,

Been a lurker and have read some of the awesome reviews by all the members. Thanks to the moderators for maintaining a great site and to the community for playing by the rules. I love music and love a good set of cans and have used quite a few of them, but consider myself to be an amateur.

Happy posting to all the new members and thanks to all the existing members for being patient with us newbies.

Thanks,

Raj

Aug 27, 2014 at 3:58 AM Post #390 of 15,526
Hi head-fiers!

In my search for a nice set of earbuds, I came upon this site.  While I'm probably still going to be sitting at the status of entry-level/budget audiophile for the time being, I do appreciate getting the best value for my money.  I'm slowly making my way through all the pages and threads for my research.  It's very informative, and I'm looking forward to all the future help and conversation with this community!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back