New Member Introductions thread
Aug 24, 2015 at 1:59 PM Post #2,086 of 15,594
Just someone who wants to get a good deal on headphones and not be stuck with really bad audio. Never been much into it until lately, likely because now my vision is starting to go bad. And I just got a 4KTV last year. Guess that is life, LOL

I never thought much of audio until I chose to buy a replacement for the in ear headphones that came with my smart phone. I had kept the same speakers for my desktop that where like 20 years old and made buzzing noises when a LTE phone really used the internet over 4G. (Mostly Verizon, but I think AT&T phones did that as well. Yes I could reproduce it over and over again so I didn't just think that was it.)

Started a thread about under $100 wired over the ear headphones, even though I have been looking at reviews and reading stuff online for days I still don't know what a sound sig is really or what the different ones sound like in real life.

I have to say I was shocked at all the options at all kinds of price points there are out there even for stuff that cost $300 or more.

Aug 24, 2015 at 2:10 PM Post #2,087 of 15,594
  Just someone who wants to get a good deal on headphones and not be stuck with really bad audio. Never been much into it until lately, likely because now my vision is starting to go bad. And I just got a 4KTV last year. Guess that is life, LOL

I never thought much of audio until I chose to buy a replacement for the in ear headphones that came with my smart phone. I had kept the same speakers for my desktop that where like 20 years old and made buzzing noises when a LTE phone really used the internet over 4G. (Mostly Verizon, but I think AT&T phones did that as well. Yes I could reproduce it over and over again so I didn't just think that was it.)

Started a thread about under $100 wired over the ear headphones, even though I have been looking at reviews and reading stuff online for days I still don't know what a sound sig is really or what the different ones sound like in real life.

I have to say I was shocked at all the options at all kinds of price points there are out there even for stuff that cost $300 or more.

Welcome 
smile.gif

I'd highly recommend to see if there's any shops in your area where you can audition headphones. If you don't know of any just try to google, you might be pleasantly surprised. 

Aug 24, 2015 at 5:14 PM Post #2,088 of 15,594
Well hello, guess this is as good a place as any to start with!

Only recently, recently as in the last 5 years or so, got big into equipment and and such. I was always one of those people that just looked at all the jumble of cables and boxes stacked about as a waste, fine with just whatever pair of headphones I happened to have at the time. I still remember my first pair of on-ear headphones and CD player though, sitting in the back of a car on a road trip from Alaska back to Utah, and boy were they something. Cheap things that clung around my ears painfully but they were mine. No longer sharing headphones with my brothers.

Finally just one day decided I'd go ahead and try out something a little better then recycling 5 dollar throw-away headphones. First pair was a pair of DT-770's, that I still own and still think are some of the comfiest cans around, and a second hand stereo receiver that I route through my PC, with the intent to add a pair of bookshelf speakers later. Never really got around to buying a pair, though, as I fell in love with the 770's right away. Up next I had to buy myself a pair of AKG K701's and later a pair of AKG K702's, having tried out a pair that friend had and enjoyed them, aside from that headband....

That's where I stand today, pumping them through some pieces of schiit. Modi and Magni/Vali, though when I feel the mood I move over to my turntable and plug into an old Sony stereo stack that I found, broken, at a garage sale and fixed them up. Now I can even listen to my Awesome Mix Volume 1 on cassette, the only way it should be played.

Been lurking around here for a while, but I'm back in the market to get some new cans, and maybe a pair of in-ear for traveling, so I figured I'd finally make an account and jump in head first.

Aug 25, 2015 at 5:51 PM Post #2,090 of 15,594
Hello my name is Derek,

I am new to head-fi and somewhat new to detailed audio. I have owned the B&W P5 and B&W P5 Series 2. I am in the market for some new cans for everyday commuting and I'm in between the following:

Audio Technica ATH M50x
ATH MSR7
Sony MDR 1A
Bose QC 25

I'm a bit reluctant to get Bose because the sacrifice made for sound. The B&W P5 were ok but clamping pressure was present and sound was just ok considering a $300 price tag.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Aug 25, 2015 at 5:58 PM Post #2,091 of 15,594
Hi everyone. I'm not really 'new' around here, been lurking for a while. But I thought I'd post some stuff.

2 years ago I bought a pair of Vmoda LP2. Many years before that I had a pair of Sony MDR 7506 that I used to DJ with. My Vmoda's are starting to crack and fall apart after about 8+ hrs of daily use. I bought a new pair of ear pads in the mean time, but may be looking for a new pair in the future.

I've also been looking at amps. A friend and I want to build Cmoys, but I may just buy a premade one already. Going to do more reading!

Aug 26, 2015 at 1:38 AM Post #2,092 of 15,594
Hi there. I haven't tried the ATH MSR7.. but i would suggest you Sony MDR 1-A over the other two.. QC 25's have exceptional noise cancelling but build quality and sound wise it's far behind and not worth the asking price.. Sony's are very well built, better sounding than the ATH M50X and QC..with punchier bass..

Aug 26, 2015 at 2:24 AM Post #2,094 of 15,594
Hi all. As a (somewhat, been lyrking some time) new member, i feel the need to confess...
The reason i'm here ain't headphone related! I do own a pair of old Stax electrets. But the real reason is the long, and exciting, tread about the MHDT Havana NOS DAC...
This again because I'm the wery satisfied owner of one, and use it on a daily basis.

My primary system consists of:
Thorens 320 Mk.III / TP90 / AT-OC9
Thorens 124 / Ortofon AS212 / Goldring G1022
Dali RIAA / Cambridge 651 / diy AR PH3 clone
NAD S100
Marantz CD 63SE / Sony DCP-XB720 / Pioneer PD-S901 (all with mods) and of course Havana NOS DAC
Leak Stereo 20 / Dynaco ST70 / diy SET 2A3, and 300B
Lowther PM6A in Super ACE / Dynaco A 20 and A25 / Snell E/III

Beside that i have loads of projects including (but not exceding):
Accuphase E202, 3 more Thorens'es, tree Lenco L75'es, Acos Lustre GST-1, SME 3009 Ser.II, Stax UA-9 with tree armwands, some more tube gear (B&o, BOFA, Dynaco, diy bla bla i'm rattling now ain't i?)....
blink.gif

The short of the long.
I'm REALLY glad to be here!!!
normal_smile .gif

Aug 26, 2015 at 9:56 AM Post #2,095 of 15,594
Hey everyone! *waves*

I've always been tinkering with amps since I started playing guitar, and now that I'm edjumacated I've got time to sit down and start building stuff. I'm one of those masochists who likes bleeding money for sub-par music quality on soft plastic Frisbees. I've got a Harmon Kardon A500 that powers a pair of polk floor standing monitor 70's. Its modified to get rid of some goofy topology and for what it is, it sounds pretty good. The ole vinyl gets spun on a dual 1019. Again, for what it is, not too bad. Up until this point I've been pretty "analog" on the path of music.

BUT

I work with one of your members here and I was christened into the world of DACs and all their amazingness. He's got some gear that sounds like schiit and is trying to convince me to spend way too much on a pair of oppos.....and almost succeeding i might add. Moving forward here I'm going to definitely being paying more attention to DACs and plan on picking one up. Additionally I've got a OTL headphone amp I'm in the planning stages on along with *cross fingers* a sub $200 zinger of a guitar amp that's got a LOT of research into it.

Excited to get into the digital audio game and start diving in!
beyersmile.png

Aug 26, 2015 at 3:20 PM Post #2,098 of 15,594
Hello my name is Derek,

I am new to head-fi and somewhat new to detailed audio. I have owned the B&W P5 and B&W P5 Series 2. I am in the market for some new cans for everyday commuting and I'm in between the following:

Audio Technica ATH M50x
ATH MSR7
Sony MDR 1A
Bose QC 25

I'm a bit reluctant to get Bose because the sacrifice made for sound. The B&W P5 were ok but clamping pressure was present and sound was just ok considering a $300 price tag.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Hi Derek,

Here to help.

I second nitesh99 on the MDR-1A. The MSR7 is a close competitor. MSR7 is more neutral and has better mids than the MDR-1A. While the MDR-1A has good bass and detailed treble. For me(subjectively) I'd go for the MDR-1A as they are more fun sounding. MDR-1A are being backordered at many retailers and not sure when Sony plans on replenishing the stock in the US. You could get the Japanese(International) version for less price but they wont come with a warranty when you buy on Ebay. If you dont mind pitching in another $50, you can get the Sennheiser Momentum 2.0 Over-Ear. They are on par with the MDR-1As. Some would say they are even better.

Hope this helps! Let us know what you buy.

Thanks.

Aug 26, 2015 at 3:23 PM Post #2,099 of 15,594
Hi, my name is hossam, actually its a nickname. My 1st real iem is TF10 5 years ago, since then its become one of my hobby. I find that this forum is very helpful for me to discover anything related to headphone or IEM, just recently i bought dunu titan 1 after i've read the review on this forum, and its amazing one of the best IEM for its price. And if i can be a part of this forum why not?, so here i am introducing myself in this new member threads.

Aug 26, 2015 at 3:24 PM Post #2,100 of 15,594
Welcome to head-fi, feel free to ask any question. I am sure someone will eventually answer it. Remember this hobby can can drain your wallet, as you find the perfect rig, to make you happy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back