New Macbook & Macbook pro are out
Oct 15, 2008 at 4:22 AM Post #16 of 59
I like the design change, I just wish they would ditch this whole black frame, glossy display thing. I can't stand it.

Augh! What no firewire!!!!

I love Apple, but they are making some stupid decisions about what to keep and what to ditch on they're portables, Macbook air, need I say more.

Oct 15, 2008 at 7:57 AM Post #17 of 59
No firewire? Really? Don't worry, I'm sure there will be USB versions of all those Firewire gear everyone bought. Apple users are used to buying gear all over and over and over again, right?
tongue.gif

I actually like the fit and finish. It's immaculate, their new aluminum forming process is quite impressive.

Will be interesting to see if Apple can avoid dust creep under the glass cover over the LCD. That problem has plagued so many monitors and Laptops before it. And you can bet it will be a real PITA or impossible to open it up and blow the dust bunnies out.

-Ed

Oct 15, 2008 at 8:28 AM Post #18 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by Edwood /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Will be interesting to see if Apple can avoid dust creep under the glass cover over the LCD. That problem has plagued so many monitors and Laptops before it. And you can bet it will be a real PITA or impossible to open it up and blow the dust bunnies out.

Ugh, that happens to iPods too....

Oct 15, 2008 at 8:34 AM Post #19 of 59
Yeah, its nice line up updated portables (and a screen).
Not too pleased with Apple dropping FireWire from the MacBook though. Really though they had learned from the MacBook pro experience, when they dropped out FireWire 800 when going from PowerBook G4 to MacBook Pro. Especially since they revived it a year or so later.

The rest I am well pleased with though.
biggrin.gif

* Aluminum MacBook.
* Lighter and more solid built machines.
* Glass trackpad looks nice.
* Easy HDD access on the MacBook Pro.
* SSD option on the MacBook Pro.

No update for me the next year or so though, as I am well pleased with my 15 month old MacBook Pro.
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 15, 2008 at 10:01 AM Post #20 of 59
We really need to all send feedback to Apple to complain about the lack of firewire in the MacBook. I suspect they've decided that most buyers of the Macbook aren't interested in firewire or expresscards. The nicely carved aluminium isn't going to cut it for people if it doesn't have what they want or need.

Oct 15, 2008 at 11:02 AM Post #21 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by Currawong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
We really need to all send feedback to Apple to complain about the lack of firewire in the MacBook.

Great advice! Done my share!
popcorn.gif

Apple - MacBook - Feedback
Quote:

Thank you for your feedback on the MacBook.

We cannot respond to you personally, but please know that your message has been received and will be reviewed by the MacBook Team. If we need to follow up with you on your ideas for improving the MacBook, we will contact you directly.

We appreciate your assistance in making the MacBook a great computer.

MacBook Team
Apple

Oct 15, 2008 at 12:49 PM Post #23 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah, its nice line up updated portables (and a screen).
Not too pleased with Apple dropping FireWire from the MacBook though. Really though they had learned from the MacBook pro experience, when they dropped out FireWire 800 when going from PowerBook G4 to MacBook Pro. Especially since they revived it a year or so later.

The rest I am well pleased with though.
biggrin.gif

* Aluminum MacBook.
* Lighter and more solid built machines.
* Glass trackpad looks nice.
* Easy HDD access on the MacBook Pro.
* SSD option on the MacBook Pro.

No update for me the next year or so though, as I am well pleased with my 15 month old MacBook Pro.
smily_headphones1.gif

I agree with you here. Very good points.But the improvements to me are not enough to entice me to drop 2k on this notebook. The trackpad seems like a novelty, the black and silver - ick, and I don't really need dual graphics - not a gamer haha.

I am sticking with my monochrome MBP - man it is beautiful.

Oct 15, 2008 at 1:59 PM Post #24 of 59
I'm hoping they come out with a completely black anodized version in a few months. That would be a very sweet looking machine.

I think the odds are fairly high this will happen.

Oct 15, 2008 at 2:09 PM Post #25 of 59
this is exactly why I bought my macbook pro a month ago, they had nowhere to go but down. The only thing that internally makes it better then the one I bought a month ago is the bigger HDD (I believe they also played with the way the processors work but I doubt that will do much). The solid construction looks like a good idea only the black keyboard makes it look so ugly, but it goes very well with the ugly black lining of the screen. I would not be able to use a glossy screen, they are terrible. I also think making the whole track pad a button is a bad idea, they also mentioned that they added muti touch features to their track pad but they had multi touch on the old track pads too. Oh well. At least I already got mine (and a free ipod touch for my brother)

Oct 15, 2008 at 2:20 PM Post #26 of 59
I don't plan on ditching my MBP since I will not gain anything that I need over what
I have now but it's trackpad is luring and I'm not sure how I feel about
the glossy screen and black keyboard.

Oct 15, 2008 at 3:44 PM Post #27 of 59
Why's everyone complaining about the chassis, I think they look nice. All the white Macbooks I've seen have discoloured areas around the touchpad from peoples hands rubbing against them, now thats something that looks bad.

Oct 15, 2008 at 3:57 PM Post #28 of 59
yeah i was going to buy a new MB but thx the god damn au-us exchage rate ATM and stupid Apple aussie that let me save l lot of money. The entry level MB increase its price from a$1499 to a$2099

Oct 15, 2008 at 4:37 PM Post #29 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by Caution /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Why's everyone complaining about the chassis, I think they look nice. All the white Macbooks I've seen have discoloured areas around the touchpad from peoples hands rubbing against them, now thats something that looks bad.

I'm pretty sure most of the people are complaining who have experience with MBPs they are a nice uniform silver and do not get discolored. Black on silver is just not a good looking combo so I think that is what is bothering a lot of people.

Oct 15, 2008 at 5:07 PM Post #30 of 59
It's typical form over function yet again with Apple. I don't understand the point of the flush glass cover for the LCD. It's not a tablet, so not having a bezel makes no sense. If may be protective for the LCD, but again, it's not a tablet. What's the point? The LCD is far more likely to be damaged from a fall, rather than poking at the screen. Just don't poke your screen.

All the Glass cover is going to do is give a nice cozy place for all those dust bunnies to hide out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back