New Leckerton UHA760 Coming Soon!!
Dec 24, 2013 at 3:43 PM Post #61 of 118
thank you for this feedback, pretty much what I'm expecting and that's a good thing.

Jan 1, 2014 at 6:34 AM Post #64 of 118
So the amp section is same for both mk.ii and 760. I guess I'll hold on to my mk.ii. I do need an optical input after all.

in that case i should go for MKII with lower gain, will ask them to lower it to be good for a CIEM, yet how many DBs lower? -12?

Jan 1, 2014 at 9:24 AM Post #66 of 118
  in that case i should go for MKII with lower gain, will ask them to lower it to be good for a CIEM, yet how many DBs lower? -12?

Depends what IEMs you're using, and the line-out output of your DAC/DAP. -12dB is a safe point for most CIEMs but may be a little bit low for full sized headphones with a lower voltage source. And of course if your source has a volume control without any SQ loss, then even better.

Jan 1, 2014 at 9:44 AM Post #67 of 118

Depends what IEMs you're using, and the line-out output of your DAC/DAP. -12dB is a safe point for most CIEMs but may be a little bit low for full sized headphones with a lower voltage source. And of course if your source has a volume control without any SQ loss, then even better.

planing to use it CIEMs wise only so -12 db it is :p got the M-Stage amp so its good for full size cans yet very bad control for the 1ohm CIEMs

Jan 1, 2014 at 1:41 PM Post #68 of 118
it really depends on the source.
just take your M-stage and make a few mp3s with a gain to simulate a few values.

Jan 16, 2014 at 8:33 PM Post #69 of 118
Thanks to a fellow Head-fier and Leckerton, I've had this dac/amp on demo for almost a week so far.

To be honest guys, I'm not really feeling the magic with this amp, I've been running it from IHIFI 760 line out and the dac section from my laptop. it has some good aspects, such as tight refinement, soundstage width, a nice amount of control and it does improve over the headphone out, it does clean up the signal and improve areas, certainly sounds more professional although I'm not really a fan of how far you need to turn the volume pot to get sufficient volume levels from this little thing. I need to have the pot at about 60% for normal listening levels with 10ohm and 32ohm IEM using the middle gain setting. Don't get me wrong it's a decent amp I just don't feel any vibe from it personally compared to some other cheaper offerings by JDS Labs.

I'll have the amp for another week and keep playing with it. I've tried the DAC section from my laptop and again, I'm just not being swept away as a $439 product should suggest, there might be some synergy issues with my gear because I've spoken to others who own the amp (they're now selling it) though they said they found it rather capable but again decided something at half the price was their preference, I think it was Tralucent T1 they liked more? So that's where I am, while I think UHA760 is enjoyable and the build is nice (it's rather heavy too btw) I haven't had any thoughts I need this dac/amp in my life, not when I have been juggling with JDS C5 and C421 this past week. 

Jan 16, 2014 at 8:55 PM Post #70 of 118
  Thanks to a fellow Head-fier and Leckerton, I've had this dac/amp on demo for almost a week so far.

To be honest guys, I'm not really feeling the magic with this amp, I've been running it from IHIFI 760 line out and the dac section from my laptop. it has some good aspects, such as tight refinement, soundstage width, a nice amount of control and it does improve over the headphone out, it does clean up the signal and improve areas, certainly sounds more professional although I'm not really a fan of how far you need to turn the volume pot to get sufficient volume levels from this little thing. I need to have the pot at about 60% for normal listening levels with 10ohm and 32ohm IEM using the middle gain setting. Don't get me wrong it's a decent amp I just don't feel any vibe from it personally compared to some other cheaper offerings by JDS Labs.

I'll have the amp for another week and keep playing with it. I've tried the DAC section from my laptop and again, I'm just not being swept away as a $439 product should suggest, there might be some synergy issues with my gear because I've spoken to others who own the amp (they're now selling it) though they said they found it rather capable but again decided something at half the price was their preference, I think it was Tralucent T1 they liked more? So that's where I am, while I think UHA760 is enjoyable and the build is nice (it's rather heavy too btw) I haven't had any thoughts I need this dac/amp in my life, not when I have been juggling with JDS C5 and C421 this past week. 

Interesting... I guess I'll see when I listen to it I guess. 

Jan 16, 2014 at 9:05 PM Post #71 of 118
I have been juggling with JDS C5 and C421 this past week. 

Is it safe to assume you prefer the c5 to the UHA760? Thanks for the post.

Steve

Jan 16, 2014 at 9:17 PM Post #72 of 118
Interesting... I guess I'll see when I listen to it I guess. 

See what you think. :)

Is it safe to assume you prefer the c5 to the UHA760? Thanks for the post.

Steve

From a value for money perspective, yes quite easily. However taking the price away the Leckerton does have darker background and offer more refinement, it also has the most width to the soundstage. We need to remember that UHA760 has the added dac section which adds up the cost.

I had these 5 amps this week, I ended up choosing C421 (OP2227) as my new amp from the bunch.

Jan 17, 2014 at 6:43 AM Post #73 of 118

I find the sound to be mighty clean. and as you might know I struggle with hiss and other noises all the time because I listen mostly at very low volumes. my 334 alone makes this amp a great value, if you ever had any trouble with hiss, it doesn't know what hiss means. most amps do a good job at lowering noise levels, but this one really is noise free from tip to toe.
but I guess the sound can be almost too transparent to really feel the benefits of adding the amp.

also I won't make solid statement as soon after having it (didn't try test tones yet), but it doesn't have the sub bass presence of some other amps. I feel like there might be a slight roll off in the sub bass (and sub bass only, bass is super tight and very well controlled). it would explain why I love the bass of my 334 so much on it. but with say ... er4 :wink: I guess a little bass boost wouldn't be a bad thing.

also what displeases you with the volume control is what I like about it ^_^. in the end it goes loud enough for anything I own (mid gain is ok for my hd650 to sound loud), and I believe as far as sound technicalities go, that it is better to get the op amp to a certain level and then use the less possible volume reduction, instead of having a power house and then need to use the knob to reduce volume to a minimum.
ofc you need to have a loud enough sound in the end, but any phone I consider portable will be driven loud enough, the hd650 is already an extra in the portable universe. so other amps extra volume is just for show when it comes to my usage. I never ever had to go above low gain on a RSA amp and even then I don't think I ever passed 12 o'clock. that's great if you need that extra volume for some phones, but else ...
if I ever buy an orthodynamic, I will also buy a dedicated amp that will most likely be of very poor practical use as portable gear with my IEMs. I don't believe in the all in one wonder amp.

now between this one and the UHA6 I really wouldn't know as I have little use of the integrated dac so maybe saving money is a good idea? on the other hand I do use the crossfeed and I don't know how lee couldn't tell the difference. maybe it's because of the kind of music he's listening or the phones he used? I really don't know, but the crossfeed works just as intended, first level is subtle and 2nd level is what I'm used to have (smaller soundstage but brought slightly in front of me as if I went from 180degree sound to ... let's say 130 (I don't really know what 10degrees look like so don't take the value too seriously plz ^_^). anyway when you have use for crossfeed you will use this one (the more you listen to speakers the more corssfeed should appeal to you).

all in all I find it to be a great option for IEM users. as in, no noise, volume control, channel balance, neutral signature, low impedance.
the sound is something you will like or not, that's not for me to decide but I didn't ear any noticeable weakness except maybe the discrete sub bass section. more on this when I have really looked into it, that's a first impression only.

Jan 24, 2014 at 2:21 AM Post #74 of 118
Got this a few days ago and truth be told I'm a little disappointed with this amp. I mean I've read wonderful things about the 6S and supposedly this is almost the same but like H20 I'm just not feeling the magic. I tried the DAC and it's decent, but falls short of the one on my DX50. For some reason I feel like this is a little warm while other people have been saying that it is neutral. It is quite good everywhere especially with the background noise. Like others have mentioned it's completely silent. It has good imaging ans separation but I just don't find it a much better than something like a T1. 

Also it isn't loud enough. It was too soft for my IEMs on low gain and I listen pretty softly (I think). Build is good and the design is nice as well. 

I wanted to like it, I really did, but unfortunately I don't find it necessarily better than amps in the $200 range. This would be competitive at $250-300 but I just can't recommend it at  $439. Sorry Nick, but maybe this is just not for me. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back