New Leckerton UHA760 Coming Soon!!
Mar 2, 2015 at 2:47 PM Post #106 of 118
Low gain matters because it basically detirmines the sensitivity and resolution of the volume control. You reduce the maximum volume in exchange for finer tuning of the volume. When you're using headphones like customs or most IEM's that have a low impedance, you want to use a low gain setting while high impedance headphones will want a high gain setting.

I don't still have my mkII. I used both it and my current 760 as a DAC/amp; I don't think I ever used the analog input once. The behavior of the device is identical regardless of input. There isn't a "line out" on either device; there's one output, and it's for your headphones. I think it would be an odd setup to use this headphones output as a line out for use in yet another amp, but to each his own, I guess.

I don't use crossfeed, but some people swear by it. For what it's worth, it does work well on the 760.

Thanks for the clarification. I was confused when you said "I don't use it as an amp". I guess you meant "amp only".

I understand the need for adjustable gain and that the 760 has -12db / 0db / +12db (I think).

Now that the HA-2 is finally out, I'd love to get a direct comparison of the two.

Mar 4, 2015 at 12:16 AM Post #107 of 118
Thanks for the clarification. I was confused when you said "I don't use it as an amp". I guess you meant "amp only".

I understand the need for adjustable gain and that the 760 has -12db / 0db / +12db (I think).

Now that the HA-2 is finally out, I'd love to get a direct comparison of the two.

I meant I use it as a DAC/amp, where I use the USB input.  I never use it just as an amp, where the analog input would be used.

What's the HA-2?

Mar 4, 2015 at 12:18 AM Post #108 of 118
Bazirker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  What's the HA-2?

http://www.head-fi.org/t/737787/oppo-to-reveal-pm-3-planar-magnetic-headphones-and-ha-2-portable-headphone-amplifier-at-rmaf

http://www.head-fi.org/t/755879/oppo-ha-2-portable-headphone-amplifier-dac-discussion-thread

Mar 4, 2015 at 11:26 PM Post #109 of 118

http://www.head-fi.org/t/737787/oppo-to-reveal-pm-3-planar-magnetic-headphones-and-ha-2-portable-headphone-amplifier-at-rmaf

http://www.head-fi.org/t/755879/oppo-ha-2-portable-headphone-amplifier-dac-discussion-thread

Oooooooh, that looks pretty awesome.  Yeah, I'd love to hear them both next to one another.

Mar 5, 2015 at 12:16 AM Post #110 of 118

Oooooooh, that looks pretty awesome.  Yeah, I'd love to hear them both next to one another.

If you have an OPPO dealer nearby, maybe you can take your UHA760 there for a shootout! 
happy_face1.gif

May 18, 2015 at 12:30 AM Post #111 of 118
Anybody has used/tried/heard the PSB M4U1 or NAD HP50 with the Leckerton UHA-760 (or UHA-6S MkII)? And has compared it with the iFi nano or micro iDSD + O2? I'm "itching" for a better portable.

Wondering if there's any, and whether the Leckerton has ateast equally good sound but different house sound signature?

May 18, 2015 at 5:54 AM Post #112 of 118
Anybody has used/tried/heard the PSB M4U1 or NAD HP50 with the Leckerton UHA-760 (or UHA-6S MkII)? And has compared it with the iFi nano or micro iDSD + O2? I'm "itching" for a better portable.

Wondering if there's any, and whether the Leckerton has ateast equally good sound but different house sound signature?

o2 is transparent, leckerton is transparent. so different house sound is going to be a problem. I only know of one transparent.
biggrin.gif

May 18, 2015 at 9:13 PM Post #115 of 118
o2 is transparent, leckerton is transparent. so different house sound is going to be a problem. I only know of one transparent. :D
Hehe...you're right...there can't be different transparent "house sounds"...maybe I should have used neutral also like the O2 but with different house sound.

So the Leckerton is very similar to the O2's sound, eh?

May 18, 2015 at 11:20 PM Post #116 of 118

o2 is transparent, leckerton is transparent. so different house sound is going to be a problem. I only know of one transparent.
biggrin.gif

Hehe...you're right...there can't be different transparent "house sounds"...maybe I should have used neutral also like the O2 but with different house sound.

So the Leckerton is very similar to the O2's sound, eh?

with my limited testing methods(volume matched and a switch but no blind testing), they're pretty darn hard to tell apart. I won't pretend like they would sound the same to everybody on any headphone, but I doubt I could abx them successfully with most "portable" uses. 
of course when using a very sensitive IEM, I can tell the O2 from the leckerton sometimes thanks to some channel imbalance in my O2 at very low volume setting.
and for hard to drive headphones, the O2 added power(significantly more) can also become an audible fact. depending on what you plan to use, you may want to check the power output and the gain values. some were bummed out, but the settings are allowing for a better IEM experience and volume setting. no point using a 1W amp and then kill it down to 8mW with a lousy volume control if from the start it was to use with IEMs. different amps for different purpose IMO.

but with average sensitivity portable headphones, both sound neutral, both have reasonably low impedance so they don't mess around too much with IEM's signatures, both are the most hissless portable devices I had in my hands. the reason I still have both. but again it really matter mostly on sensitive IEMs. 

can't talk about the DAC section, to me they're all so close that I just don't bother wondering which is best. just that the 6mkII can survive longer with one charge when using the internal DAC I think, so I would have bought it instead if I had planned to mainly use the internal DAC. the amp part is what I use mostly, I only really plug the DAC into a tablet when I'm on a train or on a plane and it's to watch movies anyway, so my feedback on DACs won't help anybody ^_^.

May 19, 2015 at 1:40 AM Post #117 of 118
with my limited testing methods(volume matched and a switch but no blind testing), they're pretty darn hard to tell apart. I won't pretend like they would sound the same to everybody on any headphone, but I doubt I could abx them successfully with most "portable" uses. 
of course when using a very sensitive IEM, I can tell the O2 from the leckerton sometimes thanks to some channel imbalance in my O2 at very low volume setting.
and for hard to drive headphones, the O2 added power(significantly more) can also become an audible fact. depending on what you plan to use, you may want to check the power output and the gain values. some were bummed out, but the settings are allowing for a better IEM experience and volume setting. no point using a 1W amp and then kill it down to 8mW with a lousy volume control if from the start it was to use with IEMs. different amps for different purpose IMO.

but with average sensitivity portable headphones, both sound neutral, both have reasonably low impedance so they don't mess around too much with IEM's signatures, both are the most hissless portable devices I had in my hands. the reason I still have both. but again it really matter mostly on sensitive IEMs. 

can't talk about the DAC section, to me they're all so close that I just don't bother wondering which is best. just that the 6mkII can survive longer with one charge when using the internal DAC I think, so I would have bought it instead if I had planned to mainly use the internal DAC. the amp part is what I use mostly, I only really plug the DAC into a tablet when I'm on a train or on a plane and it's to watch movies anyway, so my feedback on DACs won't help anybody ^_^.

Thanks. Just what I'm looking to hear/read. Cheers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back