New Jecklin Float QA !!!
Aug 2, 2012 at 1:37 PM Post #31 of 740
A KGSSHV or a BHSE will be able to drive these monstrosities but you will need an external bias supply.  They haven't posted any specs but looking at the drivers they are exact clones of the PS2 models so probably +1200V bias.  Easy enough to generate with a voltage multiplier but these require roughly double the drive voltage of a Stax headphone so only a few amps can push them.  A DIY transformer could be built but it would require 1:60 ratio transformers which is not a common ratio for off the shelf units. 

Aug 2, 2012 at 1:56 PM Post #32 of 740
When I was a mere youth I lusted after Jecklins, to me having them back makes the world a better weirder place. I remember listening to a pair of floats many years ago and along with the Orpehus they still today leave the greatest positive impressions of any headphones out there for me.

I would love to hear this set and I am so glad they have kept them weird looking, it will put off the hoi palloi :D

Aug 3, 2012 at 6:50 AM Post #34 of 740
Quote:
Dear Spritzer, do you think the stax 727 can drive?
do they use the same socket as those of stax
thanks

My guess is no. According to QUAD, you can drive these from the old Jecklin boxes, so I'm thinking the plugs are whatever those use.

Aug 3, 2012 at 12:14 PM Post #37 of 740
Sorry for my bad English. Because of questions:

Yes, the housing is wood (Birch plywood)

Stax does not make the 1500V, the needs of Jecklin.

Correct: "QA" - Quad Atelier.

It may be: Some person says when she sees the Jecklin: It looks easy. But, it is no coincidence. He is made ​​to bring the best results for the sound. Extremely clear and free of artifacts. It is the clearest, most honest and most natural sound I've ever heard to this day. And even Stax  has no chance. I can not tell you today: The overall result is completely okay. We have to wait for the first production model, but one thing is fact: He makes the clearest sound.

He has more power in the sound than the old Jecklin.

More dynamic.

There is more volume without stress.

Lower frequency.

SOURCE: Manfred Stein

http://www.quad-musik.de/html/jecklin.html

In Quad studio that was the starting shot for a long series of experiments. At first they wanted to keep the helmet form, producing almost a copy of the old float and improve comfort. Actually, it was then Jürg Jecklin himself, who was with his insistence on the right transducer position with the idea for a lightweight, self-sustaining mechanism. If you were to now find another solution for a secure hold on your head, you could even do away with the foam pieces that hold the old float on the distance to the transducer head. Produce models that optimize the shape, again rejected. Try new materials. In the end it was done. The quad play music had invented a mechanism that convinced. The new float QA is better than the old one. As for the food supply, was quickly determined the direction. Was it in the old dining STET's part but the transformers, the transmission characteristics of limited. The new power supply module, weighs 10kg and is built with uncompromising good transmitters that allow a transfer down to 20Hz. The best part: The new power supply module also works at the old float. Owner of the old float can not expect to purchase a new power supply module, a marked improvement in sound.

Unfortunately I have to translate by Google. But I think the intent is clear.

Aug 3, 2012 at 12:38 PM Post #38 of 740
Quote:
So is that 22-pound box optional? Could I just plug this into my 'stat amp without it?

Since it effectively doubles the price ($2,600 EUR), I'm reminded of the H2+ which "actually" costs $3000 USD when it's all said and done. Of course you don't have to use the transformer box in theory. With the ERGO AMT on the other hand, it comes with an adapter to use with speaker amps figured into it's $1000 USD price, but you can spend an addition $500 to $2000 on a dedicated driver unit to improve performance.

Well there are different kind of transformer boxes. The one that comes with Ergo AMT is only a passive notch filter with cheap capacitors and coils inside. It's designed to lower the response on upper mid frequencies. It actually sounds quite bad. I use mine with Pioneer GR-777 graphic equalizer (tamed down those upper mids) and they sound much better that way.

For those who desire to connect the new Float QA to an old Jecklin  amp: Connector used in old Jecklins and Ergo AMT is made by Hirschmann. I guess they still can be purchased from somewhere because Precide still uses them with the AMT.

I would love to hear these new Floats. I haven't heard the old ones but I have owned my AMT for a while now. I have read that AMT is superior to the old Floats. They do sound quite exceptional except the lack of bass impact and low frequency roll off. Maybe TakeT H2+ is as good as the AMT but with better bass response. Sorry for the OT but can anyone comment how H2+ compare to AMT?

Aug 3, 2012 at 4:33 PM Post #41 of 740
Color me skeptical. But then I'm really weary when it comes to hype and proclamations that this or that headphone is "the best."

Hopefully if QUAD Musik replies to my emails (it's been two weeks since they've responded....) I'll have the Jecklin QA sooner rather than later and can put these lofty claims to the test against the Stax SR-Omega, SR-007, SR-009 and TakeT H2+.

Aug 3, 2012 at 4:52 PM Post #42 of 740
There is and will be no "best headphones in the world", because:

1. it's just a matter of taste

and

2. how the individual can can cope the individual recording.

I like the HD800 more than any other headphones for sure, even in a direct comparison to the big Staxes, Ultrasones, Beyerdynamics, etc.

But that's my personal taste and I'm fortunate enough, that nearly all of my favorite recordings simply sound great when listened to them with the HD800.

Different people, different opinions and tastes.

Some people really even like the Philips Fidelio L1, which I couldn't stand (I hated them for their lack of detail, dark sound, metallic resonances and artificial sounding 2kHz-bump), far more than the HD800 - for their music and their individual taste.

That's just fine.

Furthermore, to me, the older Jecklins are really some kind of "basic" (their construction) and "cheap" (not in terms of their price).

Some people may definitely like them very much, others really don't/won't.

Like e.g. Grados. For some, they seem to be "heavenly", the best of the best, for others they are mostly overpriced crap and don't deliver good sound for the price.

Everybody has to make own experiences.

What I've personally learned in many many years of audio/video-"consumption", is the following:

Never (fully) trust the opinion of other people.

Suum cuique.

Aug 3, 2012 at 5:20 PM Post #43 of 740
Quote:
Color me skeptical. But then I'm really weary when it comes to hype and proclamations that this or that headphone is "the best."

Hopefully if QUAD Musik replies to my emails (it's been two weeks since they've responded....) I'll have the Jecklin QA sooner rather than later and can put these lofty claims to the test against the Stax SR-Omega, SR-007, SR-009 and TakeT H2+.

I can understand them. But they do not worry. It's not about hype.

Consider a 4 man jazz instrumentation

You will not be able to remember ever using a headset so natural and free of the Instruments ....

or a large choir

You will not be able to remember ever using headphones to distinguish as clearly the choir
the figure, the voice of differences and the entire differentiation

The typical headphone listening is gone.
Believe me, and have no concern. This is not a hype.

Aug 3, 2012 at 5:36 PM Post #44 of 740
Quote:
There is and will be no "best headphones in the world", because:

1. it's just a matter of taste

and

2. how the individual can can cope the individual recording.

I like the HD800 more than any other headphones for sure, even in a direct comparison to the big Staxes, Ultrasones, Beyerdynamics, etc.

But that's my personal taste and I'm fortunate enough, that nearly all of my favorite recordings simply sound great when listened to them with the HD800.

Different people, different opinions and tastes.

Some people really even like the Philips Fidelio L1, which I couldn't stand (I hated them for their lack of detail, dark sound, metallic resonances and artificial sounding 2kHz-bump), far more than the HD800 - for their music and their individual taste.

That's just fine.

Furthermore, to me, the older Jecklins are really some kind of "basic" (their construction) and "cheap" (not in terms of their price).

Some people may definitely like them very much, others really don't/won't.

Like e.g. Grados. For some, they seem to be "heavenly", the best of the best, for others they are mostly overpriced crap and don't deliver good sound for the price.

Everybody has to make own experiences.

What I've personally learned in many many years of audio/video-"consumption", is the following:

Never (fully) trust the opinion of other people.

Suum cuique.

Okay. But here we are less concerned with taste, requiring a conditional construction progress.

Unless: they prefer

a smaller space
less accurate sound
less color in the sound
a smaller stage

and they prefer

Circumaural hearing with the pads. If this is so, okay, then they are right. The HD800 is a very good headphones. And right in the top range. But no more, no less. The HD800 has not the air nor the subtlety, the Stax can. And not even the same speed. And even less of what makes the float QA.

But of course you can always say: Everything is taste. This then is an AKG K141 is also the best because there is a person that he enjoys.

And there's an interesting thing why I say the best

There is no electrostatic headphones in the world with a free (not circumaural) converter on the ear. and also not having such a large surface.
So once again: This is not about taste, or a hype
it comes to design benefits that no other has so headphones.

That's the point. And the only reason why the result can be better than all circumaural models.

Again, sorry for the translation. I know this is a problem. But unfortunately I have no other option. I hope you can forgive that.

But in fact it is so: When they hear the music float QA, they know in that moment:

This reproduction is clearer (viewed positively), as all they know of the best headphones. With clear, I mean, more original sound, less brown, concealment, less of all that which accompanies a sound, but not an instrument or voice heard.

Surely this is the end goal for all. Each developer touted to be quite close to this goal. But there are physical limits.

For example: A headphones that encloses the ear pads always produces its own sonic space inside of the pads. No matter how good the signal always carries this share in it.

The only way to rid the sound of it: a free sound field in front of the ear. (No enclosure)

At this point, but the manufacturer has other problems, he must overcome. He has a problem: The sound may not be too analytical. The high frequency range can release a lot of energy. There are several issues that must be overcome in order to end a homogeneous overall sound balance to have.

Aug 4, 2012 at 5:45 AM Post #45 of 740
Quote:
I can understand them. But they do not worry. It's not about hype.

Consider a 4 man jazz instrumentation

You will not be able to remember ever using a headset so natural and free of the Instruments ....

or a large choir

You will not be able to remember ever using headphones to distinguish as clearly the choir
the figure, the voice of differences and the entire differentiation

The typical headphone listening is gone.
Believe me, and have no concern. This is not a hype.

Obviously

Users who are viewing this thread

Back