New Hifiman HM-802 DAP Announced
Jan 14, 2014 at 12:50 AM Post #31 of 133
  Yes, they are. Good eye! It's paired with the wonderful Tralucent silver/gold, thanks to Gavin.

I am still letting it burn in. But initial impressions are pretty favorable. Comparing the HM 901 vs the HM 802 is uncannily like contrasting the Fitear C435 vs MH334. While the HM 901 is balanced and astonishingly clear, the HM 802 is warmer and less transparent. What the HM 802 does have to make up for that is the lovely timbre of percussion and strings. Very organic.

Whilst it's still early days, I suspect what will happen is that the HM 802 will be for days when I feel like just enjoying the music and relaxing next to a warm fireplace, single malt whiskey in one hand and a good book in the other. :)

Thanks for the early impression, Kiats. I really enjoy  reading your review on the C435. Your review plus Gavin's and Sean's advices have lead me to place my order. One of the good things I gain from hanging around in head-fi.

As for the the portable gear, I have to say I am a little overwhelmed by the number of choices (both DAP and portable amps) going to be or already released in the market. Probably will keep looking.

Jan 14, 2014 at 1:21 AM Post #32 of 133

Thanks for the early impression, Kiats. I really enjoy  reading your review on the C435. Your review plus Gavin's and Sean's advices have lead me to place my order. One of the good things I gain from hanging around in head-fi.

As for the the portable gear, I have to say I am a little overwhelmed by the number of choices (both DAP and portable amps) going to be or already released in the market. Probably will keep looking.

No worries. Always happy to share. Music, and the perception of sound, is always such a personal experience that it can be challenging to share experiences. But, hey, if we don't try, we will never learn from one another, huh? :)

Thanks. I'm glad you enjoyed the C435 review. I will confess that there was much trepidation after it was posted. 

You have a most excellent portable rig as it stands, with the HM-901, DX 50 and X3 as sources. The HM-901 is unparalleled in terms of SQ. When I slip in my IEM amp card, it blows all my other portable sources away. And I have a few... The HM-802 will appeal to those looking for a more forgiving, relaxed and musical signature. 

Please feel free to PM to discuss the various DAPs any time. Always happy to discuss, share and learn. As I always say, it's not the destination that matters but the journey. :) 

Jan 14, 2014 at 10:59 AM Post #34 of 133
Please feel free to PM to discuss the various DAPs any time. Always happy to discuss, share and learn. As I always say, it's not the destination that matters but the journey. :) 

Hi there, I wonder if you have heard or owned the HM801 before? Can you briefly compare the two? Thanks!:D

Jan 14, 2014 at 11:10 AM Post #35 of 133
Hi there, I wonder if you have had heard or owned the HM801 before? Can you briefly compare the two? Thanks!
biggrin.gif

Yea I'd wonder how the two compare my self

Jan 14, 2014 at 6:43 PM Post #36 of 133
Sadly, I have never owned a HM-801 nor heard one. However, if you read the reviews on erji.net, a number of audiophiles in China have made the comparison. The consensus seems to be the HM-802 sits somewhere between the HM-901 and HM-801. It is not as thick and slow as the HM-801, but shares the warm musical signature. The HM-802 is more transparent than the HM-801 but a step or two below the HM-901 insofar as that is concerned.

Hope that is useful.

Jan 14, 2014 at 9:20 PM Post #38 of 133
Sadly, I have never owned a HM-801 nor heard one. However, if you read the reviews on erji.net, a number of audiophiles in China have made the comparison. The consensus seems to be the HM-802 sits somewhere between the HM-901 and HM-801. It is not as thick and slow as the HM-801, but shares the warm musical signature. The HM-802 is more transparent than the HM-801 but a step or two below the HM-901 insofar as that is concerned.

Hope that is useful.

Thanks! I'll check out Erji.net!

Jan 14, 2014 at 9:27 PM Post #39 of 133
You may also want to read this quite detailed review and comparison: http://www.douban.com/group/topic/46529482/#!/i!/ckDefault

Jan 15, 2014 at 1:40 PM Post #40 of 133

Hope that is useful.

Hmm I gatta say I like the thick slow sound of the hm801 with my pb1, which is... kinda wonky. Boosted bass and Upper mids... might have a dip in the central mids

either way the iBasson balanced amps sound nice with the hm801 :3 

still... with my hm801 needing repairs. if it dies again I might have to get an 802, although does the 802 have the same USB dac function [without an expansion board or docking] as the 801 does 

Jan 15, 2014 at 6:15 PM Post #41 of 133
Hmmm... The HM-802, like the HM-901, can only act as USB DAC via the upcoming dock. There is another option for you: getting a refurbished HM-801 currently available on Head Direct.

Jan 15, 2014 at 7:19 PM Post #42 of 133
Update: I am happy to say that the HM802 is wonderful with the fitear 435: clear, detailed and textured while being warm and musical. With the fitear 333, it is surprisingly clean sounding. And it works nicely with the TG 334: I was concerned that it might be muddy because the 334 does have some serious bass kick; happy to say that it remains clear despite being warmer than with the 435.

Jan 15, 2014 at 10:08 PM Post #43 of 133
Hmmm... The HM-802, like the HM-901, can only act as USB DAC via the upcoming dock. There is another option for you: getting a refurbished HM-801 currently available on Head Direct.

Alternatively just buy an USB-to-SPDIF converter for your 801/901

Users who are viewing this thread

Back