New Hifiman HE-5LE planar magnetic headphone
Feb 12, 2013 at 11:09 PM Post #1,591 of 1,933
Feb 14, 2013 at 12:46 AM Post #1,592 of 1,933
I haven't tried Schiit Lyr.  I have HE5-LE, and now considering to get Yulong A18 Amp.
http://www.head-fi.org/products/yulong-a18/reviews
http://shop.grantfidelity.com/Yulong-Sabre-A18-Class-A-Headphone-Amplifier.html

I would like to have headphone amplifier with balanced output for HE5-LE, especially after my experience with my DIY pseudo balanced amp.  
Has anyone tried Yulong A18 with HE5-LE?

Another cheap alternative to try is the DIY amp from Hifimediy:
http://hifimediy.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=59&product_id=89
I've contacted Steinar, the designer, he said it sounds pretty good with orthodynamic.  But has to assemble it and put it into casing by ourself.

Feb 14, 2013 at 1:15 AM Post #1,593 of 1,933
So, seeing as how two separate sites have both the 5LE and the 500s on sale, I figured I'd ask those who may have tried both what the better deal would be: $625.39 (after shipping) for the HE-5LE from Moon-Audio, or $651.82 (after shipping) for the HE-500 from TTVJ. Initially, I was planning on just saving up for a pair of LCD-2s but I loved the HE-400s (save for the cable connectors, but I can overlook those for the sound quality) and would like to stick with the HiFiMan sound since the price is right.

Feb 14, 2013 at 1:31 AM Post #1,594 of 1,933
Quote:
So, seeing as how two separate sites have both the 5LE and the 500s on sale, I figured I'd ask those who may have tried both what the better deal would be: $625.39 (after shipping) for the HE-5LE from Moon-Audio, or $651.82 (after shipping) for the HE-500 from TTVJ. Initially, I was planning on just saving up for a pair of LCD-2s but I loved the HE-400s (save for the cable connectors, but I can overlook those for the sound quality) and would like to stick with the HiFiMan sound since the price is right.

You had to do this, right?  To tempt me?  OK, I'll come clean on this.  Do you have access to sufficient power to provide for the HE-5LE?  It does like the power.  I had even spent some time again earlier tonight reading the review again at Innerfidelity on the HifiMAN headphones.  In the review, the HE-5LE and the HE-500 were compared.  Tyll preferred the HE-500 as he made a reference to some issues with upper frequencies of the HE-5LE (if I remember correctly.)

However, myself and Chris_Himself have had discussions on this forum where we provided input on the HE-500 vs. the HE-5LE.  We both seemed to agree that the preference was given the HE-5LE by a small margin.  Not drastic, but still enough to be recognized.

I'm not sure what made the HE-5LE a slight bit better, but it just was.  Again, though, at the expense of needing a bit more juice to run them.  The HE-5LE being a nearly "end of the road" product from HifiMAN makes me wonder how old the stock is at the moment, or when HifiMAN actually cut production of them?  It probably doesn't make a whole lot of difference, but if I were getting the HE-5LE, I'd prefer for it to not to be "New Old Stock" where the headphones have been on the shelf for nearly 2 years.  If that were the case, then the HE-5LE might have the older style of connectors to secure the pads.  But, this can be remedied by ordering a new pair of velour ($10) and a pair of pleather ($20) + shipping (about $6.00 for US residents, $10 or so for Canada and others.)  

Hopefully, I didn't confuse you more.  I'm on the "fence" right now as which one to choose.  Just torn, or pulled both ways ... like a rope in a tug-o-war competition.   

Here's a link to Tyll's reviews on the HifiMAN: http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/hifiman-he-5-he-5le-he-6-and-he500-planar-magnetic-headphones

Feb 14, 2013 at 1:40 AM Post #1,595 of 1,933
Quote:

You had to do this, right?  To tempt me?  OK, I'll come clean on this.  Do you have access to sufficient power to provide for the HE-5LE?  It does like the power.  I had even spent some time again earlier tonight reading the review again at Innerfidelity on the HifiMAN headphones.  In the review, the HE-5LE and the HE-500 were compared.  Tyll preferred the HE-500 as he made a reference to some issues with upper frequencies of the HE-5LE (if I remember correctly.)

However, myself and Chris_Himself have had discussions on this forum where we provided input on the HE-500 vs. the HE-5LE.  We both seemed to agree that the preference was given the HE-5LE by a small margin.  Not drastic, but still enough to be recognized.

I'm not sure what made the HE-5LE a slight bit better, but it just was.  Again, though, at the expense of needing a bit more juice to run them.  The HE-5LE being a nearly "end of the road" product from HifiMAN makes me wonder how old the stock is at the moment, or when HifiMAN actually cut production of them?  It probably doesn't make a whole lot of difference, but if I were getting the HE-5LE, I'd prefer for it to not to be "New Old Stock" where the headphones have been on the shelf for nearly 2 years.  If that were the case, then the HE-5LE might have the older style of connectors to secure the pads.  But, this can be remedied by ordering a new pair of velour ($10) and a pair of pleather ($20) + shipping (about $6.00 for US residents, $10 or so for Canada and others.)  

Hopefully, I didn't confuse you more.  I'm on the "fence" right now as which one to choose.  Just torn, or pulled both ways ... like a rope in a tug-o-war competition.   

Here's a link to Tyll's reviews on the HifiMAN: http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/hifiman-he-5-he-5le-he-6-and-he500-planar-magnetic-headphones

I'll be running them through an Asgard 2 (which, from what I can get from the specs on Shiit's site, should be fine for the 5LEs). Judging from Tyll's impressions, I'll likely pick up the HE-500s. I prefer my treble to be slightly laid back without sounding veiled or recessed, and it seems like the 5LE might be just a tad too bright for my tastes.

Feb 14, 2013 at 1:53 AM Post #1,596 of 1,933
Quote:
I'll be running them through an Asgard 2 (which, from what I can get from the specs on Shiit's site, should be fine for the 5LEs). Judging from Tyll's impressions, I'll likely pick up the HE-500s. I prefer my treble to be slightly laid back without sounding veiled or recessed, and it seems like the 5LE might be just a tad too bright for my tastes.

I wasn't trying to steer you that way, but it appears that I did.  Also, a few minutes ago, I was looking at some older HifiMAN photos and found a picture of the backs of the old style pads with the clear plastic "clips" that were prone to break every time you changed the pads.

Those pads are just plain ugly (the older velour ones) and I'm just happy that HifiMAN stepped in and corrected these issues by revising the pad.

Oh, I need to figure out how to use images within the "spoiler" tag.  I've used the spoiler before, but not with an image.  Good stuff !

Edit: Oh, good move on the Asgard 2.  It's feature set looks wonderful with the gain setting, higher power output, etc.

Edit #2: I was also going to suggest the possibility of using the lesser-cost HE-400, but with a parametric EQ (e.g. Behringer Destroyer type of product) but then you have that extra piece of gear in the chain, plus a cost of $100 to $250 to add into the equation, too.  Or, the HE-400 can be good if one doesn't listen to the lovely female voices.  That's something I just can't avoid though.

Feb 14, 2013 at 2:05 AM Post #1,597 of 1,933
Quote:

I wasn't trying to steer you that way, but it appears that I did.  Also, a few minutes ago, I was looking at some older HifiMAN photos and found a picture of the backs of the old style pads with the clear plastic "clips" that were prone to break every time you changed the pads.

*snip*

Those pads are just plain ugly (the older velour ones) and I'm just happy that HifiMAN stepped in and corrected these issues by revising the pad.

Oh, I need to figure out how to use images within the "spoiler" tag.  I've used the spoiler before, but not with an image.  Good stuff !

Edit: Oh, good move on the Asgard 2.  It's feature set looks wonderful with the gain setting, higher power output, etc.

Edit #2: I was also going to suggest the possibility of using the lesser-cost HE-400, but with a parametric EQ (e.g. Behringer Destroyer type of product) but then you have that extra piece of gear in the chain, plus a cost of $100 to $250 to add into the equation, too.  Or, the HE-400 can be good if one doesn't listen to the lovely female voices.  That's something I just can't avoid though.

Regarding your second edit, I actually returned the HE-400 I had bought for the same reason you pointed out. I'm a huge fan of female vocals (both solo and in bands) so while I loved how the HE-400 performed for its relatively low cost, I just couldn't overlook that sonic attribute. 

As for the Asgard 2, I plan on using both low impedance and low efficiency headphones so an amp that can reliably handle both was necessary. I was actually planning on picking up an Asgard but held off when I caught wind that the Asgard 2 was going to be announced. Glad I did.

*edit* Also, I had the feeling that no matter what I heard about the 5LE that I was going to stick with the 500, so no need to feel like you led me into picking possibly the wrong set of headphones. Now I just need to save up for a pair of LCD-2 and I can finally give my wallet a rest.

Feb 14, 2013 at 2:12 AM Post #1,598 of 1,933

The HE-500 is a safer choice for the reasons you mentioned. I think it's less likely that a person would dislike the 500 vs the 5LE, but I think it's more possible for a person to have their socks knocked off with the 5LE vs the 500.

So the spread of opinions would be wider with the 5LE because it's a more detailed (though I wouldn't say analytical) and potentially brighter set of cans, which some might find too revealing. But the end result to me is a very dynamic (but not fatiguing) listen. FWIW, I don't find them sterile/colder like I did the DT880/600's - I would say neutral without sterility.

Whereas the 500 is more laid back and thicker (less airy, less taut, tamed highs) listen, though even with it's laid back/lush character, it's instrument separation is pretty exceptional to me. And warmth is definitely there and arguably added/enhanced over the original source recording.

Someone gave what I though was a good analogy earlier (that I will paraphrase and butcher in the process) - along the lines of the 5LE drawing a picture with finer tipped color pencils - more detailed but not as full. Whereas the 500 was the same picture with blunter tipped pencils, not as vivid, but fuller and softer.

Feb 14, 2013 at 2:19 AM Post #1,599 of 1,933
Quote:
*edit* Also, I had the feeling that no matter what I heard about the 5LE that I was going to stick with the 500, so no need to feel like you led me into picking possibly the wrong set of headphones. Now I just need to save up for a pair of LCD-2 and I can finally give my wallet a rest.

After how many years (?) I finally had the chance to hear a pair of LCD-2 (Rev2) headphones a few weeks back.  I loved what I heard.  They are a bit heavier, which some may or may not complain about.  However, I think with even a bit more headband padding, they might be much more comfortable.  I'd like to say that the Audeze might have a place in my future, but just not sure.  I need to cut back on the 'phones and the forum for a bit.

But, in your case, you could virtually get a used pair of LCD 2 (r.2) for just a bit more than the HE-500 at regular price.  Or, taking the leap of spending $300 more now and going directly with the Audeze might make you happy earlier, and you'd not succumb to the depreciation if you sold off the HE-500s to fund the Audeze.  Then again, the HifiMAN gear sells used here at some pretty ridiculously high nifty prices.

Feb 14, 2013 at 2:23 AM Post #1,600 of 1,933
Quote:
I think it's less likely that a person would dislike the 500 vs the 5LE, but I think it's more possible for a person to have their socks knocked off with the 5LE vs the 500.

This pretty much sums up my reservations about the 5LE in one sentence. I get the feeling that I probably wouldn't appreciate the sonic differences between the two.

But, in your case, you could virtually get a used pair of LCD 2 (r.2) for just a bit more than the HE-500 at regular price.  Or, taking the leap of spending $300 more now and going directly with the Audeze might make you happy earlier, and you'd not succumb to the depreciation if you sold off the HE-500s to fund the Audeze.  Then again, the HifiMAN gear sells used here at some pretty ridiculously high nifty prices.

Also something that's been weighing on my mind. I'll be going in to a local audio store to test the LCD-2 later this week so hopefully I can make up my mind once I hear them. $300 isn't all that bad if it means I'm going to be enjoying my music that much more.

Feb 14, 2013 at 5:15 AM Post #1,601 of 1,933
Quote:

I have HE5-LE for almost 1.5 years now, and I ever borrowed HE-500 from Mike (Headfonia).
My conclusion, HE5-LE is generally brighter than HE-500.  For me, I prefer HE5-LE, it has more sparkle then HE-500.  Somehow when I tried HE-500, it sounded more like a closed headphones rather than the open one, not enough 'air' for my taste.  But my friend Mike from Headfonia seems to prefer HE-500 is he prefer the darker tonal balance.  So, it is depending on your preference, natural-bright (HE5-LE) or natural-dark (HE-500).

I've listened to my brother old version of LCD-2, sounds smoother and darker than HE5-LE, good for bright recordings, but I generally prefer HE5-LE over the old version of LCD-2.  I haven't tried the new version LCD-2.

What I don't like from HE5-LE is the rubbery coating on the driver's cup, they become sticky after 1 year :frowning2:

Feb 14, 2013 at 9:56 AM Post #1,602 of 1,933
Quote:
The HE-500 is a safer choice for the reasons you mentioned. I think it's less likely that a person would dislike the 500 vs the 5LE, but I think it's more possible for a person to have their socks knocked off with the 5LE vs the 500.

So the spread of opinions would be wider with the 5LE because it's a more detailed (though I wouldn't say analytical) and potentially brighter set of cans, which some might find too revealing. But the end result to me is a very dynamic (but not fatiguing) listen. FWIW, I don't find them sterile/colder like I did the DT880/600's - I would say neutral without sterility.

Whereas the 500 is more laid back and thicker (less airy, less taut, tamed highs) listen, though even with it's laid back/lush character, it's instrument separation is pretty exceptional to me. And warmth is definitely there and arguably added/enhanced over the original source recording.

Someone gave what I though was a good analogy earlier (that I will paraphrase and butcher in the process) - along the lines of the 5LE drawing a picture with finer tipped color pencils - more detailed but not as full. Whereas the 500 was the same picture with blunter tipped pencils, not as vivid, but fuller and softer.

I must say...  captouch hit this nail on the head.  Great post.

To add, the 500s are more forgiving.  The 5LEs with the right amp can be a detail monster and not as forgiving of bad recordings.  

This is a tough choice to make.  If I had to have just one I'd go with the 5LEs.

Feb 14, 2013 at 10:06 AM Post #1,603 of 1,933
What I don't like from HE5-LE is the rubbery coating on the driver's cup, they become sticky after 1 year :frowning2:

I wonder if it's a humidity thing or you have a different coating on yours. I actually like the shiny/glossy black paint compared to the matte gray on HE-500, but I wouldn't describe it as rubbery and mine hasn't become sticky,

Feb 14, 2013 at 10:09 AM Post #1,604 of 1,933
I must say...  captouch hit this nail on the head.  Great post.

To add, the 500s are more forgiving.  The 5LEs with the right amp can be a detail monster and not as forgiving of bad recordings.  

This is a tough choice to make.  If I had to have just one I'd go with the 5LEs.

Thanks - I think we have similar tastes/preferences, though you've tried many more Hifiman models than me. Would like to hear the HE-6 at some point, but am almost hesitant to as I might have to have them once I listen to them!

Feb 14, 2013 at 10:40 AM Post #1,605 of 1,933
Quote:
Thanks - I think we have similar tastes/preferences, though you've tried many more Hifiman models than me. Would like to hear the HE-6 at some point, but am almost hesitant to as I might have to have them once I listen to them!

The HE-6 is definitely the best ortho to be had IMO

The thing about the HE-6 is not only the higher price of the headphone.  Also the cost of a proper amp.  The variety of amps are endless.  On of the best entry level amps at a cost of $200 is the Emotiva a-100 mini X.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back