NEW HiBy R4
Apr 11, 2024 at 1:21 PM Post #106 of 241
hmm... plan to buy r6 pro ii to replace ru7 for more convenient outside usage (cant find any small good case that can fit both dongle & my iem)

but this r4 spces looks really fine too , more pocketable and also cheaper
For outdoor use I’d lean towards the r4. I have the r6p2 and love it but just use it for home use. from the specs the r6p2 is heavier, and bigger than the r4 and the battery is significantly worse. R4 is also cheaper, which means less concern over any accidental damage.

Apr 11, 2024 at 2:23 PM Post #108 of 241
For outdoor use I’d lean towards the r4. I have the r6p2 and love it but just use it for home use. from the specs the r6p2 is heavier, and bigger than the r4 and the battery is significantly worse. R4 is also cheaper, which means less concern over any accidental damage.
yep, i already tried to put the my friends r6p2 in my pocket, and damn its bulky and heavy.... and i use my fiio k9 pro on my dekstop setting, so i guess i wont really use DAP at home
but welp, if i got a really great secondhand deal for r6p2 before bought r4, i still might buy it :L3000:

also from some picture here the r4 get plastic case ?

Apr 12, 2024 at 5:56 AM Post #109 of 241
yep, i already tried to put the my friends r6p2 in my pocket, and damn its bulky and heavy.... and i use my fiio k9 pro on my dekstop setting, so i guess i wont really use DAP at home
but welp, if i got a really great secondhand deal for r6p2 before bought r4, i still might buy it :L3000:

also from some picture here the r4 get plastic case ?
Yep R4 gets a plastic case

Apr 12, 2024 at 6:13 AM Post #110 of 241

BEHIND THE BOX: HiBy R4​

WATCH FULL UNBOXING HERE:

Heyo! I hope you guys are doing wonderful today. I would like to share my out-of-the-box impressions of Hiby’s latest DAP and a first in the series, the HiBy R4. There’s a lot to unpack in this $249 music player (quite literally) so let’s get started!

Here are its raw specs:​

Processor: Snapdragon 665
DAC: ES9018C2M x 4
AMP: OPA 1652 x4 & OPA1612 x 2
WiFi Support: 2.4ghz - 5ghz
Bluetooth: BT 5.2
USB: USB 3.2 5Gbps
Screen: 4.7in IPS
Screen resolution: 720 x 1280
RAM: 3gb
ROM: 32gb
External Storage: Up to 2tb
Dimension: 129x6 x 68.3 x 18.5mm
Weight: 231g
Battery: 4500mAh/3.8v
Charging: 20w PD 2.0
Power Values
  • 3.5mm: 2.3Vrms (165mW)
  • 4.4mm: 4.1Vrms (525mW

XV1ehLtKkdmQraFNM_Y1hpaI_yp7JPQf6GKZBP7YFPB_P-lMiNlwNSk1n4yesi05pb5GVD83PScAFiFUOpTvSOfCR8Doy-MQi582BkOXdWFnUIUrrsaas1SQsphHw8aNL-inJA6klew41xvhPuFcnzw

So first and foremost, the thing that probably caught your eye was the design. This is unlike any DAP in the market in the sense that its design is very distinctly mech-like and I LOVE it. I know it’s probably not everyone’s cup of tea, but it stands out in the market for being such a unique looking piece of tech in an otherwise bland market.

S0aOLws_A2PS9sPB1T9OcOK7HdFyCvLCKtRawvDMvgPulHVedx65LwOpWImQvmQxOKTiOxty9Hs7uHqSzoDmmeRVq_KmkgXd1Dx8aSpXpB1CJakjNOH7P-vBYcaBBqR3vPQsfQhwwSCaIT8jcWMR5jk

But despite its rugged nature, it feels quite lightweight. It weighs 231g which is in between the R5 II’s 220g and R6 III’s 250g. This contributes to it being quite wieldy in the hand and doesn’t sag your pants due to its weight.

FV2nOFi9gsmQnywFhsE4EVx6ham64Q_K816NeBPPlqbzomrfA3XbHLCpzkN6C8V7YA5Pjf2aGVP4-RzMbQ83g1F1NlEAscddc-2Jg9I9aqWJiYefO1KEvyX9JZmjgEfX-rZ1VaP2-2jx96BCw7-sUFc

Obviously, it’s no smartphone as the bezels are quite thick and the overall device is thick, but it’s understandable so for a DAP. This thing is running a lot of tech, so a thick stature is to be expected.

vAxblgmDc1VEwEYRKOn-1SCnDqfFA3eHVhpve0QUXERBS_5PooLKs_lxtvtM2e1gPZyc1ByRKG8EfzdjtoHpeXD6WACKE5hD_O8u9F0kcg2c48updmPrQAoREBK618DXy9ft04lw9_f7dYgoGRB8VSo

As for the button layouts, I have nothing to complain about as the layout feels very natural in the hands. The overall interface is just really nice and it feels quite ergonomic in the hand. I should mention the fact that this thing has a function button. Yep, just like the M300, the R4 also features a function button. So far, the only functions it has is to lock the button or flip the screen, so I’m really hoping they’d add more functions to the button.

HVjE_kxeKtBLuJfPCpmzJMufJn1LjLFKeLQW5KowGhbW60hkCy9ktSP2pIZ4V2KW_wqWVYHb1qQ9inOmoUFrxGYWL4LEGOG-xhHNmgk0PbxgX2Tca0RgcA-PnzNWmpBZaN8m0IGbVUeuFSrtQRqfnYI

As for the interface, if you’ve tried a HiBy DAP before, the experience is largely the same with a standard set-up that leads you to their open Android OS free from bloatware and only has the essential audio apps preinstalled. What’s different however is the fact that the R4 has custom icons! Whether you like this or not is up to you, and you can turn it off in the settings anyway.

What I really love about the R4 is that a lot of the features you can find on their midrange and even top-end DAPs are still found here, like the audio settings where you can change the anti-aliasing filters, gain switches, plugins, PEQ and other sound related settings. The only thing this doesn’t have is a switch for the amplifier so it’s just perpetually stuck in class-A mode. It’s a very easy to understand and use system and I’m so glad they put it in the R4

As for the sound, it’s a very neutral and well-balanced sound without any coloration which essentially makes this an ideal source if you don’t want to spice up the sound of your transducers. Speaking of transducers, this is capable of outputting 525mW on balanced! That’s crazy! For a $249 device, that’s solid power numbers. However, it does take a hit on battery and to be expected, if you push it to its limits, it will drain fast. But if you’re just using IEMs, the battery is more than adequate for most people.

The thing that really baffles me about the R4 is how jam-packed it is for how much it costs. I mean, unless you look in the second-hand market, you cannot find a DAC that provides what the R4 does. And while the aesthetics may not be for you, it’d be foolish to dismiss it just because of that. I’ll be spending more time with this and will continue to share my experiences with the R4 with you all!

FULL REVIEW AND EYNTK COMING SOON!​

Thank you so much for reading my behind-the-box impressions of the HiBy R4. If you would like to order the product, it is still unfortunately not yet available as it will come out mid to late April. I will update the links in the future, so do stay tuned!

Apr 12, 2024 at 9:28 AM Post #113 of 241
hi! I have the tempotec v6 and hiby r5 ii. I like this new model, but is better. in any way than the others that i have?
I have the Hiby R5G2 as well. What I miss on this unit is only a more recent and more reactive UI. R4 has it; SD665, more RAM, double memory for apk's, Android 12; starting from today it will be more "durable". But the battery life is a no-go for me; 12hrs in theory, 10hrs in real life and perhaps 8hrs after 2-3 years ? Nope...
What is surprising is that the "limited" version with AB amp only has 15hours battery life... With the same battery than R5G2... What a pity for a 230gr DAP.
I chose Hiby initially for the combination of High Q/P ratio, Long lasting DAPs and compactness, with the very first R5.

Apr 12, 2024 at 9:31 AM Post #114 of 241
Looking at the parts used, the output impedance may be high, like 5 ohms high (10 ohms balanced). The ESS amplifier used recommends a 4.7 ohm resistor at each output leg (short protection). If they have a transistor buffer etc, that could be corrected but... They could also use over 1k uF coupling caps instead (flat to 20hz at 16 ohm load) but that would be a tight fit for 4 channels. Lets hope they have a follower transistor setup after the amp chip.
Where did you get all of these info ? On the application note from ESS I guess ? But remember that they added some "buffer" output amps (OPA1652+ ? see this post : https://www.head-fi.org/threads/new-hiby-r4.972253/post-18067874), so the design of the output is probably quite different than what you think... :wink:

Last edited:
Apr 12, 2024 at 9:54 AM Post #115 of 241
Apr 13, 2024 at 8:37 AM Post #119 of 241
Didn’t need to delete !!! It’s still very speculative at this point… and your assessment of the output impedance had a better chance to be right than mine: you had a value, I don’t have any… :sweat_smile:
Better to have good info here and my post suggested something that is not. It's still in a reply if someone wants to see it but it appears it's not relative to this device as they are using an additional amp stage after the ESS chip set as suggested.

Apr 14, 2024 at 5:17 PM Post #120 of 241

BEHIND THE BOX: HiBy R4​

WATCH FULL UNBOXING HERE:

Heyo! I hope you guys are doing wonderful today. I would like to share my out-of-the-box impressions of Hiby’s latest DAP and a first in the series, the HiBy R4. There’s a lot to unpack in this $249 music player (quite literally) so let’s get started!

Here are its raw specs:​

Processor: Snapdragon 665
DAC: ES9018C2M x 4
AMP: OPA 1652 x4 & OPA1612 x 2
WiFi Support: 2.4ghz - 5ghz
Bluetooth: BT 5.2
USB: USB 3.2 5Gbps
Screen: 4.7in IPS
Screen resolution: 720 x 1280
RAM: 3gb
ROM: 32gb
External Storage: Up to 2tb
Dimension: 129x6 x 68.3 x 18.5mm
Weight: 231g
Battery: 4500mAh/3.8v
Charging: 20w PD 2.0
Power Values
  • 3.5mm: 2.3Vrms (165mW)
  • 4.4mm: 4.1Vrms (525mW

XV1ehLtKkdmQraFNM_Y1hpaI_yp7JPQf6GKZBP7YFPB_P-lMiNlwNSk1n4yesi05pb5GVD83PScAFiFUOpTvSOfCR8Doy-MQi582BkOXdWFnUIUrrsaas1SQsphHw8aNL-inJA6klew41xvhPuFcnzw

So first and foremost, the thing that probably caught your eye was the design. This is unlike any DAP in the market in the sense that its design is very distinctly mech-like and I LOVE it. I know it’s probably not everyone’s cup of tea, but it stands out in the market for being such a unique looking piece of tech in an otherwise bland market.

S0aOLws_A2PS9sPB1T9OcOK7HdFyCvLCKtRawvDMvgPulHVedx65LwOpWImQvmQxOKTiOxty9Hs7uHqSzoDmmeRVq_KmkgXd1Dx8aSpXpB1CJakjNOH7P-vBYcaBBqR3vPQsfQhwwSCaIT8jcWMR5jk

But despite its rugged nature, it feels quite lightweight. It weighs 231g which is in between the R5 II’s 220g and R6 III’s 250g. This contributes to it being quite wieldy in the hand and doesn’t sag your pants due to its weight.

FV2nOFi9gsmQnywFhsE4EVx6ham64Q_K816NeBPPlqbzomrfA3XbHLCpzkN6C8V7YA5Pjf2aGVP4-RzMbQ83g1F1NlEAscddc-2Jg9I9aqWJiYefO1KEvyX9JZmjgEfX-rZ1VaP2-2jx96BCw7-sUFc

Obviously, it’s no smartphone as the bezels are quite thick and the overall device is thick, but it’s understandable so for a DAP. This thing is running a lot of tech, so a thick stature is to be expected.

vAxblgmDc1VEwEYRKOn-1SCnDqfFA3eHVhpve0QUXERBS_5PooLKs_lxtvtM2e1gPZyc1ByRKG8EfzdjtoHpeXD6WACKE5hD_O8u9F0kcg2c48updmPrQAoREBK618DXy9ft04lw9_f7dYgoGRB8VSo

As for the button layouts, I have nothing to complain about as the layout feels very natural in the hands. The overall interface is just really nice and it feels quite ergonomic in the hand. I should mention the fact that this thing has a function button. Yep, just like the M300, the R4 also features a function button. So far, the only functions it has is to lock the button or flip the screen, so I’m really hoping they’d add more functions to the button.

HVjE_kxeKtBLuJfPCpmzJMufJn1LjLFKeLQW5KowGhbW60hkCy9ktSP2pIZ4V2KW_wqWVYHb1qQ9inOmoUFrxGYWL4LEGOG-xhHNmgk0PbxgX2Tca0RgcA-PnzNWmpBZaN8m0IGbVUeuFSrtQRqfnYI

As for the interface, if you’ve tried a HiBy DAP before, the experience is largely the same with a standard set-up that leads you to their open Android OS free from bloatware and only has the essential audio apps preinstalled. What’s different however is the fact that the R4 has custom icons! Whether you like this or not is up to you, and you can turn it off in the settings anyway.

What I really love about the R4 is that a lot of the features you can find on their midrange and even top-end DAPs are still found here, like the audio settings where you can change the anti-aliasing filters, gain switches, plugins, PEQ and other sound related settings. The only thing this doesn’t have is a switch for the amplifier so it’s just perpetually stuck in class-A mode. It’s a very easy to understand and use system and I’m so glad they put it in the R4

As for the sound, it’s a very neutral and well-balanced sound without any coloration which essentially makes this an ideal source if you don’t want to spice up the sound of your transducers. Speaking of transducers, this is capable of outputting 525mW on balanced! That’s crazy! For a $249 device, that’s solid power numbers. However, it does take a hit on battery and to be expected, if you push it to its limits, it will drain fast. But if you’re just using IEMs, the battery is more than adequate for most people.

The thing that really baffles me about the R4 is how jam-packed it is for how much it costs. I mean, unless you look in the second-hand market, you cannot find a DAC that provides what the R4 does. And while the aesthetics may not be for you, it’d be foolish to dismiss it just because of that. I’ll be spending more time with this and will continue to share my experiences with the R4 with you all!

FULL REVIEW AND EYNTK COMING SOON!​

Thank you so much for reading my behind-the-box impressions of the HiBy R4. If you would like to order the product, it is still unfortunately not yet available as it will come out mid to late April. I will update the links in the future, so do stay tuned!

Does the R4 also include the Hiby MSEB?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back