NEW HiBy R4
Apr 29, 2024 at 9:35 PM Post #242 of 524
Bonus trick question to English majors: is it a strap or a lanyard? 🥴

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom/po...sKVCFwcJf86xgSWuy2r8atYua9auS56MpeJtgAt59AsCl

As far as I can tell, a lanyard is a one-point attached "strap" for carrying small objects while a strap can also be carrying small objects but is defined by its attachment mechanism, e.g. it's a watch strap not a watch lanyard but also a camera strap not a camera lanyard. It seems more about the object than the body position to me.

lan·yard
[ˈlanyərd]
noun
lanyard (noun) · lanyards (plural noun)
  1. a rope threaded through a pair of deadeyes, used to adjust the tension in the rigging of a sailing vessel.
    • a cord passed around the neck, shoulder, or wrist for holding a knife, whistle, or similar object.

Apr 29, 2024 at 11:49 PM Post #243 of 524
Bonus trick question to English majors: is it a strap or a lanyard? 🥴

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom/po...sKVCFwcJf86xgSWuy2r8atYua9auS56MpeJtgAt59AsCl

As far as I can tell, a lanyard is a one-point attached "strap" for carrying small objects while a strap can also be carrying small objects but is defined by its attachment mechanism, e.g. it's a watch strap not a watch lanyard but also a camera strap not a camera lanyard. It seems more about the object than the body position to me.
Ha. I've got a PhD in English, and I still couldn't tell you the difference. I'd go with: both ends of a lanyard attach to the same point, and the two ends of a strap attach at two different points. Alternatively: straps can be purchased, but lanyards can only be gotten for free at corporate events, professional seminars, and school orientations.

Last edited:
Apr 30, 2024 at 2:11 AM Post #244 of 524
Why did it come with Andriod 12 when M300 comes with Android 13 ? Why ?

(As someone already floats the question in the Air)

This means the hiby already have the Andriod 13 for their disposal but they not giving it here.

Last edited:
Apr 30, 2024 at 5:43 AM Post #245 of 524
Why did it come with Andriod 12 when M300 comes with Android 13 ? Why ?

(As someone already floats the question in the Air)

This means the hiby already have the Andriod 13 for their disposal but they not giving it here.
Well if you have a look at the software feature set of our M300 vs our R4...
FeatureR4M300
Direct Transport Architecture (systemwide bit perfect)YesNo
MSEBYesNo
PEQYesNo
Systemwide audio plugins: includes DRX10K dynamics expander and
convolution for e.g. headphone virtualization of HiFi rooms, +more
YesNo
Dual headphone outs (requires OS support)YesNo
PCM and DSD directed to separate DAC pathways (requires OS support)YesNo
Switchable physical line out (requires OS support) edit: oops, my bad
Switchable DAC AA filters (requires OS support)YesNo

Last edited:
HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Apr 30, 2024 at 6:12 AM Post #246 of 524
As with Android 8.1 on the first Gen players (R6, R6pro, R5...), they stick onto one version of Android not to have to do SW dev for many, many versions...
So the actual "DAP" version is Android 12, and the M300 is designed in a different way, i.e a smartphone dedicated to audio with no phone functions, no camera, but good DAC, speakers, and one of the latest Android versions... I guess they could upgrade this one to Android 14 in the future, whereas the DAPs will keep running the same Android version their entire life cycle...

Apr 30, 2024 at 6:17 AM Post #247 of 524
FeatureR4M300
MSEBYesNo
PEQYesNo
YesNo
Switchable physical line out (requires OS support)YesNo
90% of which most probably won’t be used by half your user base.
I agree with the previous poster. A newer Android version would be welcome, even if it’s with less features at the start.

Apr 30, 2024 at 6:28 AM Post #248 of 524
I agree with the previous poster. A newer Android version would be welcome, even if it’s with less features at the start.
If you are playing music on your DAP, you are using at least a few of points 1, 5, 6, 7, 8 even if you don't touch the software

Last edited:
HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

Apr 30, 2024 at 7:23 AM Post #250 of 524
Really what type of an improvement would someone expect from using 13 over 12. I still use 8.1 on my R5 Gen 1 with Tidal and no issues. At $249. I will be impressed if I keep this unit for two years.

Tidal works on your R5 Gen 1? I have both R5 and R5s (also R6 Pro) and none work with the current version of Tidal.

Apr 30, 2024 at 8:00 AM Post #251 of 524
OK, I'm running 8.1 on my R5 and R5G2. When I bought the G2 last year I was a bit concerned; the audio hardwear and battery life were more than enough for my use case, but the chipset and OS were oldish... 8.0 was announced in 08/2017, replaced by 9.0 in 08/2018, almost 6 years ago... :rolling_eyes:
But despite some latencies using Deezer app, the rest is fine, even better than the original R5, don't understand why ?
Android 14 has been launched on October'23, so Android 12 (10/2021) is still acceptable for now.
Remember that a more recent version means more processing power just for the OS, so bigger cost for the CPU/RAM, and a tradeoff on the audio/battery life side...

Hopefully, decoding and playing audio does not require much processing power (it seems), but most of the power is just used to run the OS and the apps.

If you don't want to be stuck with old Android versions, better use your smartphone + a good USB dongle :wink:

Apr 30, 2024 at 8:06 AM Post #252 of 524
But that’s exactly the purpose of the M300 (currently at $170 at AE): for these users who want a DAP but don’t need or won’t use 90% of this stuff…

Apr 30, 2024 at 8:33 AM Post #253 of 524
FeatureR4M300
MSEBYesNo
PEQYesNo
YesNo
Switchable physical line out (requires OS support)YesNo
Freely switching between PCM and DSD DAC circuit when 😤

Wait, the R4 has line out? I couldn’t find that option anywhere in the audio menu. I wanted to separate the DAC into an external amp to test the DAC separately.

Apr 30, 2024 at 9:21 AM Post #254 of 524
Freely switching between PCM and DSD DAC circuit when 😤

Wait, the R4 has line out? I couldn’t find that option anywhere in the audio menu. I wanted to separate the DAC into an external amp to test the DAC separately.
oops edited 😅

Apr 30, 2024 at 11:55 AM Post #255 of 524
At present, i have the M 300 but I will be tempted by R4 once it shows on Amazon, how much of a sound upgrade is the R4 over the M 300... Just to say I own an R6 1st Gen whose battery has died, and also an R5 gen 1, which charges to 100 % but as soon as you use it, it drains to 0% in 30 mins, works perfectly if you keep it charging while using, but that defeats the whole object of the device... So that's why I would only buy from Amazon as they allow hassle-free returns and I need to test the battery life is good before it becomes a keeper, explained this in an E-Mail to Hiby but they never replied, another reason to buy from Amazon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back