NEW HiBy R4
May 11, 2024 at 6:39 AM Post #391 of 660
May 11, 2024 at 9:17 AM Post #395 of 660
Howdy folks, R4 review is finally done. You can find the review on Head-Fi and my blog.

As USB DAC/amp dongles continue to become more potent at a lower price point, they gradually push DAPs out of the affordable end of the market. Yet, some on a budget still prefer to use a dedicated device rather than their phones for daily music listening. Until now, unless they have an extensive collection of FLAC files, they don’t have an affordable option because budget DAPs don’t have Android and only a rudimentary ability to stream music. HiBy R4 arrives just in time to provide a much-needed option. What impresses me about R4 is how much HiBy actually tries with this device. They could have gotten away with a generic design but opted for a careful and elaborated design instead. They could have used only one signal path for both PCM and DSD but opted for separate signal paths to provide the most suitable filter design. Yes, I have some complaints about the overall sonic presentation of R4. Still, most of these can be addressed by the built-in system-wide EQs and DSP plugins because the foundation of R4 is solid. In fact, with R4, tweaking EQs and DSP plugins becomes a part of the experience.

A love letter from geeks to geeks. That’s the R4. I’m an audio geek. Therefore, I like the R4.

What I like about this device:

• Unique design
  • Structural integrity of the device
  • System-wide EQs
  • DSP plugin systems
  • Android 12 with system-wide bit-perfect output
  • Good amplification
  • Price
What could be improved:

• Soundstage is rather flat with PCM content
  • Rather noisy with hyper-sensitive IEMs
  • Screen is quite dim when using outdoor
Absolute Sonic Quality Rating: 4/5 - Great

Bias Score: 4/5 - I like this device.

R4_summary.jpg

Updated: May 4, 2024

May 11, 2024 at 9:59 AM Post #396 of 660
Interestingly, the default navigation of R4’s interface feels more like iOS than Android (a.k.a., lots of swiping for multi-tasking and navigation, no back button).
@o0genesis0o you mentioned not having the back button on your R4; my local dealer has the R4, and their unit has the home and back buttons. Can i implore you to check out the settings and see if that's a setting you can change/toggle? Not that its a big issue, but just wanted to confirm.

May 11, 2024 at 10:02 AM Post #397 of 660
@o0genesis0o you mentioned not having the back button on your R4; my local dealer has the R4, and their unit has the home and back buttons. Can i implore you to check out the settings and see if that's a setting you can change/toggle? Not that its a big issue, but just wanted to confirm.
Yes you are right. Deep in the Accessibility menu there is an option to change the system control scheme between swiping and 3 buttons.

May 11, 2024 at 10:29 AM Post #399 of 660
Hi all,
I have some questions on using the R4 as a digital transport:
Is there a mode for this (e.g. On/Off)?
Does the DAC and amp circuitry shut off in the R4, or how is the technicalities regarding this?
Can I use the R4 as a 100% digital transport only, not being connected to the internet, Bluetooth and Wi-Fi off? – And as a supplementary question, is electronic noise in the R4 an issue at all?
Thanks.

May 11, 2024 at 7:38 PM Post #400 of 660
Hi all,
I have some questions on using the R4 as a digital transport:
Is there a mode for this (e.g. On/Off)?
Does the DAC and amp circuitry shut off in the R4, or how is the technicalities regarding this?
Can I use the R4 as a 100% digital transport only, not being connected to the internet, Bluetooth and Wi-Fi off? – And as a supplementary question, is electronic noise in the R4 an issue at all?
Thanks.
Hi there,

Anytime a DAC is connected to the R4 via USB or coax (via an adapter cable on the USB port, sold separately), the R4 will start sending digital audio signals through the connection. There will also be a popup asking if you want HiByMusic (or any other relevant apps installed) to take control of the USB connection, which will enable bitperfect output.

If you want to turn off internet, bluetooth and wifi you may simply do that via the buttons on the pulldown notification shade. You can always access files stored on the player itself.

Opinions vary regarding the last question. The question usually revolves around whether the DAC receives all correct data, and whether the data is well timed (less jitter). I would refer to Torq's first two posts in this thread: https://forum.headphones.com/t/mis-understanding-usb-audio/6719

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
May 12, 2024 at 2:47 AM Post #401 of 660
HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

May 12, 2024 at 6:42 AM Post #402 of 660
Hi there,

Anytime a DAC is connected to the R4 via USB or coax (via an adapter cable on the USB port, sold separately), the R4 will start sending digital audio signals through the connection. There will also be a popup asking if you want HiByMusic (or any other relevant apps installed) to take control of the USB connection, which will enable bitperfect output.

If you want to turn off internet, bluetooth and wifi you may simply do that via the buttons on the pulldown notification shade. You can always access files stored on the player itself.

Opinions vary regarding the last question. The question usually revolves around whether the DAC receives all correct data, and whether the data is well timed (less jitter). I would refer to Torq's first two posts in this thread: https://forum.headphones.com/t/mis-understanding-usb-audio/6719
I have an M300 and this pop-up asking if I want HiByMusic to take control is very annoying, as it is appearing every time I reactivate the M300 screen to search or change albums/artists in the UAPP.
I use UAPP.
When I'm connected with a dongle and I turn off the screen to listen to the music... the music plays... but the annoying thing is when I turn the screen back on to do anything on the M300 and the first thing that appears is the Hiby Music pop-up.

Is there a way to disable this Hiby music popup?
I've already tried to delete the app, but I get the information that Hiby music cannot be deleted... it can only be deactivated... I deactivate it, but the pop-up continues...

Important information:
If I do the opposite, this annoying thing doesn’t happen.
In other words, if I listen with Hiby Music and turn the screen off and on again, no pop-up from UAPP or another app appears, for example.
So.. this is irritating to the point where I want to sell the M300 or give up on any upgrade to an R4.
I only use it as a transport for my dongles, this way it will be unviable.

I also don't want to disable this initial pop-up when I connect a dongle, because I want to choose which app (UAPP, TIDAL or Hiby Music) I'm going to use, but I don't want this Hiby Music pop-up to happen every time I relight the screen while I'm listening to music with a dongle.

Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks!

May 12, 2024 at 6:44 AM Post #403 of 660
I have an M300 and this pop-up asking if I want HiByMusic to take control is very annoying, as it is appearing every time I reactivate the M300 screen to search or change albums/artists in the UAPP.
I use UAPP.
When I'm connected with a dongle and I turn off the screen to listen to the music... the music plays... but the annoying thing is when I turn the screen back on to do anything on the M300 and the first thing that appears is the Hiby Music pop-up.

Is there a way to disable this Hiby music popup?
I've already tried to delete the app, but I get the information that Hiby music cannot be deleted... it can only be deactivated... I deactivate it, but the pop-up continues...

Important information:
If I do the opposite, this annoying thing doesn’t happen.
In other words, if I listen with Hiby Music and turn the screen off and on again, no pop-up from UAPP or another app appears, for example.
So.. this is irritating to the point where I want to sell the M300 or give up on any upgrade to an R4.
I only use it as a transport for my dongles, this way it will be unviable.

I also don't want to disable this initial pop-up when I connect a dongle, because I want to choose which app (UAPP, TIDAL or Hiby Music) I'm going to use, but I don't want this Hiby Music pop-up to happen every time I relight the screen while I'm listening to music with a dongle.

Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks!
You may simply go into HiByMusic settings and turn off "Exclusive HQ USB audio access".

May 12, 2024 at 6:50 AM Post #404 of 660
Hi there,

What a thorough answer! Thank you, Joe, much appreciated.
I have a 6-year-old DAP and considering the progress of DAPs since 2018 it’s ancient. I’ve been wanting a new one, one that works more like a small computer with all the benefits of that. I will buy the R4 today. I will mostly use it as digital transport unit, but what I’ve gathered reading about it, it will, with its own DAC an amp circuitry, be in very good synergy with my favorite flat head earbuds and some of my headphones when I’m on the move/walking around in my apartment etc.

My last question came out a bit clumsy, but you answered it with ‘the R4 will start sending digital audio signals through the connection’ – that is all I needed to know. I have a very good data transfer cable and my DAC is the Chord Mojo 2, so all is good, also based on your first answer, with sending/receiving signals. Thank you for the link – I learned new stuff from what Torq wrote.
Cheers.

May 12, 2024 at 8:01 AM Post #405 of 660
You may simply go into HiByMusic settings and turn off "Exclusive HQ USB audio access".
Excellent!! I will do it immediately. Thanks!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back