New Grace Design m920 DAC/amp with DSD decoding
Dec 14, 2014 at 9:38 AM Post #196 of 677
Does anybody have any recommendations for speakers to run off this? And is it truly capable of running a little set of bookshelf monitors, or do you need to use active speakers? Any thoughts appreciated! Would prefer a single box amp/dac solution but would like to have the option to run a little quality set of desktop speakers as well. Cheers!

Dec 14, 2014 at 10:12 AM Post #197 of 677
I personally would never power speakers from this as I really don't think it was designed for that. The unbalanced line out is not designed to see a low imp (16/8 ohm) load. The high current would probably clip the output with current overload or even fry it.
Active is the way to go. Plus, most decent speakers would be bi/tri amped for best quality per dollar.

Dec 14, 2014 at 7:18 PM Post #199 of 677
I use Neumann KH120's and have auditioned Focal CMS 40's and 50's., all of which work great. Studio monitors/active speakers are the only way to go here, I also use 2 of these cables, which make nice use of the back TRS connections:

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/GoldTRSXLRM10?adpos=1o3&creative=54989267161&device=c&matchtype=&network=g&gclid=CO7zgK_ixsICFXRk7AodwSsAsw

Dec 15, 2014 at 1:57 AM Post #200 of 677
  I use Neumann KH120's and have auditioned Focal CMS 40's and 50's., all of which work great. Studio monitors/active speakers are the only way to go here, I also use 2 of these cables, which make nice use of the back TRS connections:

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/GoldTRSXLRM10?adpos=1o3&creative=54989267161&device=c&matchtype=&network=g&gclid=CO7zgK_ixsICFXRk7AodwSsAsw

I just bought this.  I'm excited to receive it and hook it to my Neumann KH 120s :).  I love these speakers.  They are a pleasure to listen to and one of the most accurate I've ever heard.  I'm hoping Grace m920 will complement them nicely and my Fostex TH900s :).

Thanks for the review as well.

Dec 15, 2014 at 2:08 AM Post #201 of 677
m920 good with low impedence cans like th900 /LCD2? 

Dec 15, 2014 at 11:41 AM Post #202 of 677

I just bought this.  I'm excited to receive it and hook it to my Neumann KH 120s :).  I love these speakers.  They are a pleasure to listen to and one of the most accurate I've ever heard.  I'm hoping Grace m920 will complement them nicely and my Fostex TH900s :).

Thanks for the review as well.

Nice!! I continue to be quite amazed by the KH120's, and the m920/TH900 pairing should be fantastic.
  m920 good with low impedence cans like th900 /LCD2? 

Yes! Also great with HE-560.

Dec 17, 2014 at 11:11 AM Post #205 of 677
Just a quick update to my post a few pages back on my impressions of the m920. I previously noted a problem I was having getting the Auralic Aires bridge to send music data to the m920 via USB, requiring me to use S/PDIF. Although the v1.2 FW update a few months back didn't fix the issue, v1.3 released last week did the trick. Moreover, there are no more annoying "pops" when switching from DSD to redbook tracks (although, I don't know if that's due to the firmware update, or simply due to me now using USB instead of s/pdif.

A big thanks to Alex and Co. at Grace for the early Xmas present. 

Dec 17, 2014 at 11:01 PM Post #206 of 677
It's been awhile since I started looking for a decent DAC/HP/Pre.  Finally, I narrowed it down to Mytek, Benchmark and Grace. Seems I'm leaning towards professional gear.

Lorspeaker's reference to Grace on Massdrop prompted me to email Grace about DSD256 ability.  I got a prompt and thorough response the very same evening.  

It reassured me that m920 would be the right, decently future proof choice in this ever-changing technology/market.  So, I'm #11. Thank you L.

Here is my inquiry:

" I'm considering m920 as my new headphone/power speakers source of enjoyment (home environment).
Future proofing it, do you consider firmware update to support DSD256 (if it is technically doable at all)?"

Here is Grace's response which I find very informative and wanted to share with you:

" As you probably know, following the DoP specification, DSD64 is encoded in 176.4kHz PCM; DSD128 is encoded in 352.8kHz PCM. To my knowledge, the parameters for encoding DSD256 have not been established. I could speculated that the current system may be simply extended such that it would be encoded in 705.6kHz PCM. If I read Apple's tech note on USB 2 Audio Class correctly, this should be possible. This is assuming that the Apple Core Audio USB Audio driver (and the Thesycon PC driver) will support that sample rate.  It's worth noting that the Apple tech not indicates that USB 2 Audio Class is capable of  up-to 10 channels of 192kHz 32bit PCM. I have not seen documentation indicating that Apple supports >192kHz. I've been told that it does support up to 768kHz. We do know that Apple does actually support 8X rates as we can currently play up to 384kHz PCM. The Thesycon driver documentation indicates that it supports a maximum of 384kHz PCM but it also indicates that it supports ASIO "native" DSD up to DSD512 (22.6MHz). We have not yet implemented "Native" DSD but I believe it is possible. I also suspect that Thesycon will enable 16X PCM rates if demand arises.

I'm not aware of media player apps currently supporting DSD256. They are updating features constantly and there's always pressure to post bigger numbers. So, it may come along soon.

The ESS Sabre DAC in the m920 is capable of a maximum of 11.2MHz DSD256. I expect that one way or another we will implement DSD256 in a future version of the m920 firmware. I cannot guarantee but I don't foresee any stumbling-blocks. I can't offer a time frame for when that may occur.

It's possible, though, that the DoP community may decide to encode DSD256 using 4 channels of 352.8kHz PCM. This would pose a problem with the current Thesycon driver that we provide free with the m920. It only supports 2 channels. If players do not support DoP over 2 channels of 705.6kHz then perhaps the only option will be "native". "Native", however, is a problem for Apple computers. I'm not aware that they support "Native" but that could also change.

Has someone produced an analog-to-DSD encoder that operates at 11.2MHz?

I hope this helps.
Caleb Roberts "

Dec 18, 2014 at 1:56 AM Post #207 of 677
i am just doing regular cd rips into AIFF....(buying cheap cds from thriftshops..:p)
hmm...this DSD stuff is alien to me,  the massdrop is supertempting i must say.
Last day to hit the BUY BUTTON..arrghhh

Users who are viewing this thread

Back