New Flagship from Audio-Technica: ATH-W3000ANV, 50th Anniversary Headphones
Feb 7, 2012 at 11:40 AM Post #1,366 of 3,599

Quote:

I actually never accused you of calling anyone devious if you look at my post. I understand you found what he was saying misleading. My response, as I quoted above, was based on this understanding. The problem is, saying a post is misleading isn't far removed from saying someone themselves is misleading, because that person is responsible for authoring the post. It's semantics. What matters is the intention behind the post. That's why I said I felt it wasn't Purrin's intention to mislead anyone. That isn't to say you accused him of actually misleading someone, just that I felt his post was meant to be speculation. 

Since both of you have heard the two headphones in question, it really boils down to one opinion against another. In effect we're talking about a headphone that doesn't even exist, so I think a suitable response is to say you simply don't agree. "Misleading" has negative connotations.

And why am I making a big deal out of it? Well, firstly, I consider purrin a friend. Secondly I only dragged it out to explain myself, since you seem to think I misread your posts.

Ok, this is now getting rediculous and it's even comical you would chose to make such a big deal out of something so insignificant. So I'll be the bigger person.... Ok, you win. What was I thinking for stating my opinion about a post. I should be ashame of myself for saying such a horrible thing. So there, no matter what you come back and say, I was wrong and I'm finished with this pointless argument, discussion, debate or whatever it is.

Feb 7, 2012 at 12:41 PM Post #1,368 of 3,599

Quote:
Saying the ad2000 sounds like open w3000 just because they have the same or similar driver, when they actually sound different, very different imo. So when it comes to the actually sound, they actually sound quiet different. So his original post of ad2000 sounding like open w3000 is a bit misleading when they don't tme. And yes I've also heard both. Did you completly read my last post? It was pretty self explanatory as to why I felt that way. 

Again, if you read my original post, I did follow that statement (in the original post) by explaining some of the differences between them. In a follow-up post to HeadphoneAddict, I re-clarified what I was meant in case that statement was taken of of context, i.e. "misleading"; so I don't know why you keep taking these indirect cheap shots. But since people love to jump into threads here on HF without going back and actually reading stuff:

SIMILARITIES:
  • Both have a midrange peak around ~4k
  • Both have similar treble - slightly elevated, smooth, and sweet
  • Both are very detailed sounding - among AT's most detailed phones
  • Both are fast sounding - among AT's fastest phones, although the W3000's wood enclosure slows down it's decay

DIFFERENCES (in order of significance)
  • W3000 has a good amount of midbass. AD2000 does not have a midbass hump and bass rolls off rapidly - this is the largest most defining difference between them
  • W3000 have a cupped-hands coloration because of the enclosure - a little bit of that Sony R10 reverb voodoo effect
  • W3000 midrange is ever so slightly more complex - several smaller peaks and dips surrounding the obvious 4k peak. The AD2000 is cleaner throughout the spectrum other than the peak

Happy now after my third re-clarification and detailed bullet points on the similarities and differences between the two? I hope this isn't "misleading" anymore.

Feb 7, 2012 at 12:58 PM Post #1,369 of 3,599

Quote:
Purrin and HeadphoneAddict, thanks for your input.  The AD2000 sounds like a nice headphone. How was the fit, I heard some had problems with their ear touching the inside of the earpiece?

I had the same issue with the ears slightly touching the cloth over the driver, but it wasn't that bothersome. The overall fit on the head is similar with the W3000 - that is it seems to fit larger heads better - fits loosely on most people. The W1000X by comparison has a more snug fit.

Feb 7, 2012 at 1:21 PM Post #1,370 of 3,599

Quote:
How does the W3000ANV compare with the LCD3?

I know you've asked this several times, but really what I comes down to is personal preference. These two headphones are so different. It's like comparing apples and steak. I'll make it short. You don't get the W3000 for it's linearity (although I feel the W3000's overal tonality is more balanced than the LCD3 despite the W3000's midrange peaksand mid-bass hump.) The enclosure adds a little bit of reverb and decay effect which is nice. The LCD3 absolutely kills the W3000 in technicalities: bass extension, bass articulation, clarity, blackground, distortion, detail extraction (once you hear past the treble shelf), separation of treble notes, etc. But somehow it's the W3000 that I always gravitate to (what did you expect in a W3000 thread?). To be honest, the LCD3 is the least used among all my headphones.

Feb 7, 2012 at 1:29 PM Post #1,371 of 3,599

Quote:
I know you've asked this several times, but really what I comes down to is personal preference. These two headphones are so different. It's like comparing apples and steak. I'll make it short. You don't get the W3000 for it's linearity (although I feel the W3000's overal tonality is more balanced than the LCD3 despite the W3000's midrange peaksand mid-bass hump.) The enclosure adds a little bit of reverb and decay effect which is nice. The LCD3 absolutely kills the W3000 in technicalities: bass extension, bass articulation, clarity, blackground, distortion, detail extraction (once you hear past the treble shelf), separation of treble notes, etc. But somehow it's the W3000 that I always gravitate to (what did you expect in a W3000 thread?).

Noting that in my case I snipped the last sentence and struck one other, but I agree with the rest of that post completely, and think it's well said, just to offer another (but very similar) opinion.  It's funny that so soon after getting the LCD-3, which I think very highly of, I basically stopped listening to it, so much do I enjoy the W3000ANV.

Feb 7, 2012 at 2:13 PM Post #1,372 of 3,599
Hah, the discussion about the misleading post was amazing, = ) It all really boilt down to the way one reads it...

While I know myself how good I find these, it's always somehow nice to read other's experiences. Interesting how big impact these have made on some members. Not saying they didn't do it on me, but then I have not heard STAX or LCD-3 etc.

Feb 7, 2012 at 2:35 PM Post #1,373 of 3,599
Well, I heard had the 007MkI and LCD2 and the first didn't really impress me, the second I din't like at all.
So if I were to compare them to the W3000ANV, things would get messy!  :wink:
That's just my opinion though. I don't use electrostats and orhtos anymore and I get the feeling that I am moving away from open phones as well.
I still want to try the AD2000 though since I heard it sounds just like the W3000.  
biggrin.gif

Feb 7, 2012 at 2:45 PM Post #1,374 of 3,599
It's amazing how these can......not be tonally accurate, have a weird frequency response, not be as good technically compared to other high end headphones, but still beat most of them when it comes to making music sound good. That's quiet a feat for AT, and my hat goes off to them for pulling this off. I've always been a fan of electrostatic(1rst) and planer(2nd) headphones. But for the first time in years, I'm staxless
smile.gif
. Probably won't be forever, but right now I'm pretty set on my 3 favorites: HE-6, W3000, and JH13. What is this world coming to! Skylab without beyers, and myself without stax? But I think the W3000 are really something special.

Feb 7, 2012 at 2:55 PM Post #1,375 of 3,599
It's not only the W3000 that does that IMO, of those I have the L3000 and W1000X have that simalr particular trait.
And indeed, if Skylab sells his R10 and keeps the W3000 ...
I wonder what my two Lawton's will be like when I will have them ... 5 or 6 weekrs still.

Feb 7, 2012 at 5:52 PM Post #1,376 of 3,599
after about a week of listening I can safely say that the W3000ANV is a really great headphone for enjoying pretty much all types of music, and I find myself using them almost exclusively over my LCD-2 and MDR-Z1000.
The only genre that I prefer my LCD-2 r1 is for metal, even though the W3000ANV really does handle that fine as well. The LCD-2 r1 just has that almost physical, organic sound that makes metal even better, although the depth of soundstage is far superior on the W3000ANV.

They are clearly a step up from the W1000X on pretty much every level, even though I did highly enjoy those too.

my opinions of course, YMMV.

Feb 7, 2012 at 6:09 PM Post #1,377 of 3,599
It's a real shame these are a limited edition and only available in limited quantities. I have a feeling these may be iconic in the future after they are gone. It's just a totally new experience for me when it comes to headphone listening. One of my all time faves, and given my love for others out there, that's really saying something.

Feb 7, 2012 at 11:29 PM Post #1,379 of 3,599
So it looks like everyone who has both the LCD3 and W3000ANV prefers the W3000ANV? Any naysayers?

Feb 8, 2012 at 12:39 AM Post #1,380 of 3,599
Ok, I'll join the W3000ANV love fest.

I really love my BA/LCD-2v1 combo, I mean, I really really love the combo, but I haven't listened to the LCD-2's since the W3000's arrived.  It has only been a week and I'm sure I'll come to my senses when the new-shiny-object syndrome passes, but for now I'm really enjoying them. 

I'm burning in a QB-9 using a TTVJ Slim to draw music to the W3000's and I'm surprised how well they sound with the Slim - I'm sure the QB-9 has something to do with it.  Then to the Balancing Act and as you would expect, even better.  Right now I'm giving the QB-9 a rest and listening thru the Leben CS600 and I'm impressed again.

And thanks for all the AD2000 impressions.  Now I'm wondering how the ES10 matches up to the HD-25ii, my standard for portable use, but that's for another thread.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back