New Flagship from Audio-Technica: ATH-W3000ANV, 50th Anniversary Headphones
Dec 12, 2011 at 6:23 AM Post #826 of 3,599
I seriously wouldn't worry about burn-in at all. Just enjoy the music. W3000s I think might be somewhat overkill for first headphones though. The strong highs are going to show any distortion in whatever equipment is being used. It's better to find a pair of headphones that match the genre of music one likes.

Dec 12, 2011 at 7:07 AM Post #827 of 3,599
Just got mine no more than 20 minutes ago.

Straight from my ipod they sound pretty good.

Very detailed and a bit "airy". It also seems to "spread" things out a bit, not a bad thing with some of my more compressed material. I dont find it particularly full or sweet in the mid, if anything its a bit "dry" but not in an unpleasent way.

Definately the best headphone I've listened to straight out of my ipod. Will get some proper amping behind it shortly, and try it out with some more complicated music.

Dec 12, 2011 at 11:07 AM Post #828 of 3,599

Quote:
Just got mine no more than 20 minutes ago.

Straight from my ipod they sound pretty good.

Very detailed and a bit "airy". It also seems to "spread" things out a bit, not a bad thing with some of my more compressed material. I dont find it particularly full or sweet in the mid, if anything its a bit "dry" but not in an unpleasent way.

Definately the best headphone I've listened to straight out of my ipod. Will get some proper amping behind it shortly, and try it out with some more complicated music.

Yep, thats what i thought too, reminds me of Grados325is that i had heard of, something in the background is heck missing out of that headphone (not that bad for W3K though), it just didn't sound that full and rich. My experience with AT cans AD900 AD2K and now the W3K are almost similar in that regards. Nevertheless i think W3K is the thin kind, but i would say that its is thinness done in the right way overall. I also found that the intended very high fq soft ticking/tinkling/twinkling/hissing sound of the musics are thin and not extensive on W3K compared to my HD800.

Dec 12, 2011 at 3:09 PM Post #829 of 3,599
Was just relaxing with my W1000X with Christy Baron (Retrospective), Melody Gardot (My one and only thrill) and Katie Melua (The House) for the last few hours. 
Damn these are good!  And to say this has been an impulsive-second-hand-when-I-was-bored-buy, Just to see what ATH was like. 

MuppetFace, since you seem to have collected many ATH models, suppose I would like a third circumaural ATH (I don't like to use supra-aurals) in addition to the W3000ANV and W1000X, which would you recommend? W5000, L3000 or another one?

Dec 12, 2011 at 5:03 PM Post #830 of 3,599

Quote:
MuppetFace, since you seem to have collected many ATH models, suppose I would like a third circumaural ATH (I don't like to use supra-aurals) in addition to the W3000ANV and W1000X, which would you recommend? W5000, L3000 or another one?

If you want thicker bass, the W11JPN is a good bet, but imo it can be a bit muddy on certain recordings. The W5000 is going to have airier highs, but even less bass presence than the W3000ANV and is better suited to classical, jazz, acoustic folk, and vocals. The L3000 has a really forceful and articulate bass and gorgeous highs but is really strongly colored overall. The W2002 and W11R are probably the most even-handed next to the W3000ANV.

Dec 12, 2011 at 5:27 PM Post #831 of 3,599
W11JPN is not for me then. I'm not a basshead, I do like bass as long as it's well controlled and not bloated or muddy.
W5000 sounds intereting since I like the genres you recommend it for.
L3000: I don't mind colored, if it'sa bit of a sweet, warm, romantic sound. Gorgeous highs sounds great as well. Not sure about the bass though, as I said I don't mind it as long as it stays controlled.
The other two don't appeal that much to me atm.

I could get a great deal on the W5000 since I know a store that is going to stop with ATH and will do a clearance.
The L3000 is pricey, yes. I wonder if it would be worth the money for me.

Dec 13, 2011 at 7:12 AM Post #832 of 3,599
I really want to try this headphone with all the FOTMing going on, I suppose no one has one in the Netherlands? :D
It's way too expensive for me to buy right now though, especially with the Yen so strong, but I'd like to try it at least.

I'd have to sell something else off to make up for it, since I cant afford to house a whole stable of headphones, as much as I'd like to.

Dec 13, 2011 at 1:33 PM Post #834 of 3,599
Yup, at least two. 
biggrin.gif

Dec 13, 2011 at 1:40 PM Post #835 of 3,599
I might be the only owner in Finland so far. = )

My new DAC is in Paris now, can't wait. Hopefully it'll make these sound even better. I'm really in love though... Noticed even more recently that these make the guitar sound so involving in some songs.

Dec 13, 2011 at 3:38 PM Post #836 of 3,599

- Does burning headphone with specific music genre can change its sound direction permanently ? 
   Im considered should i bought  the completly new one , or the 2nd hand ( which alrdy burned)  ($100 cheaper)

- For my self , i cant effort the Dac or expensive tube amp.  
   Does burning the new phone with low-budget equip can bring its to full potential ?(Ibasso D-zero .+ MbP) 

Should i bought the 2nd hand which alrdy burned with high level equips from the headphone master ?

As MuppetFace and Curra have indicated, don't worry about burn-in. If there is any such thing as burn-in, I seem to have gotten very use to the W3000ANV's sound in two days (it sounded just fine straight out of the box anyways.) I'm pretty sure that burn-in from high-level equipment won't make it sound any better, but I will offer to burn-in your headphones on my rig for only 50USD. 
biggrin.gif

Finally, one thing us to consider: can burn-in or use over time make something sound worse? It's funny because in the pro-audio field, the concern is to NOT have the sound change over time. But this is very particular to metal compression drivers which tend to shatter into a million pieces if constantly over-driven.

Quote:
I really want to try this headphone with all the FOTMing going on, I suppose no one has one in the Netherlands? :D

I don't know if it's FOTM. The folks who like these headphones are pretty realistic about them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back