New Flagship from Audio-Technica: ATH-W3000ANV, 50th Anniversary Headphones
Apr 29, 2012 at 2:30 PM Post #2,461 of 3,599
... Are you talking about the W3000 cable comfortwise?
I seem to be fine with it as I am with most cable that have a cotton(like) finish, I actually prefer it to rubber but that's mainly because the rubber looks cheapish on an expensive phone. Rubber causes no discomfort to me as well ...

Yes, I don't mean the sound of the cable. Just as Muppetface said, it seems more prone to twisting and getting caught up on itself, and to my ears it's unduly microphonic. Agreed though, aesthetically it's leagues better than big rubber cables. The T1 cable is brilliant when it comes to function - it's just not terribly pleasing to the eye or the touch. I still love Q cables - they seem to be the best of all worlds.

Apr 29, 2012 at 2:47 PM Post #2,463 of 3,599
I didn't know Q Cables, just looked them up.
They look pretty similar to the Norse cables to me.
The cables I find least pleasing to the eye are those braided see-through copper things like many brands seem to offer.

Moi aussi!

I've never tried the Norse, but the Q cables are deliciously soft, incredibly light, all around pleasing to look at and fondle... uh I mean hold.

Apr 29, 2012 at 2:59 PM Post #2,464 of 3,599

Quote:
Yes I'd agree. I guess it's more the inconsistency in the way people use the forums. The regular-fi forums are full of threads about T1s, +1k amps , etc. ToTL is subjective.
Have to say the cable on this thing could use work - talking about it's physical properties rather than electrical ones.

There were a bunch of W3000 threads in the regular forums. I'm too lazy to search but I would think there would be a T1 thread in Summit-fi.

Apr 29, 2012 at 3:11 PM Post #2,466 of 3,599
The cables I find least pleasing to the eye are those braided see-through copper things like many brands seem to offer.

Moi aussi!

I've never tried the Norse, but the Q cables are deliciously soft, incredibly light, all around pleasing to look at and fondle... uh I mean hold.

I'll let you know how well the Norse likes fondlig. :wink:

Apr 29, 2012 at 3:12 PM Post #2,467 of 3,599
I think it's the other way around, but there's some bad blood there, too it seems from various threads. 

Either way. I have a Q Cable and Steve gave me the best customer service I've ever received. He helped me pick colors, braids, and even sent samples to make sure I would be satisfied with the end result. Turn around was quick and the cable is still holding strong to this day.

Makes the cumbersome LCD 2 a non-issue (for cable weight at least).

Quote:

Apr 29, 2012 at 4:43 PM Post #2,469 of 3,599
Quote:
I think it's the other way around, but there's some bad blood there, too it seems from various threads. 

Either way. I have a Q Cable and Steve gave me the best customer service I've ever received. He helped me pick colors, braids, and even sent samples to make sure I would be satisfied with the end result. Turn around was quick and the cable is still holding strong to this day.

Makes the cumbersome LCD 2 a non-issue (for cable weight at least).

Couldn't agree more, regardless of what you may think about "shoelace" cables
tongue.gif
, Steve's service is impeccable, and to provide that level of customization at no extra charge, for a dedicated custom cable provider makes them a great value IMHO.

Small update: I was actually looking at Norse cable at the time as well, but they were going through production changes at the time and had none available, haven't received an update since. I'd think either one is a great cable. My main gripe with the T1's cable is mostly the weight, like a rubber hose depending how it's hanging it's almost pulling your head one way or the other, which is a shame considering how light and comfortable the headphones themselves are...

Apr 29, 2012 at 5:22 PM Post #2,470 of 3,599
Couldn't agree more, regardless of what you may think about "shoelace" cables
tongue.gif
, Steve's service is impeccable, and to provide that level of customization at no extra charge, for a dedicated custom cable provider makes them a great value IMHO.

Small update: I was actually looking at Norse cable at the time as well, but they were going through production changes at the time and had none available, haven't received an update since. I'd think either one is a great cable. My main gripe with the T1's cable is mostly the weight, like a rubber hose depending how it's hanging it's almost pulling your head one way or the other, which is a shame considering how light and comfortable the headphones themselves are...

...like transatlantic telegraph cable....but it does work well.

And yes, I couldn't agree more. Steve's customer service is absolutely second to none. His emails are the best part of getting a Q cable .... and I hold the cable itself in extremely high regard.

Apr 29, 2012 at 7:46 PM Post #2,471 of 3,599

Quote:

I'm intersted in your opinion on the LF with the W3000, maybe in comparison how well the W3000 fares vs the HD800 when driving them with the LF.
I always had the thought that the LF is only good for power hungry phones. I can imagine you won't have much usable volume control range in that case with the W3000.

ETA is Wed-Thursday of this week. As the LF is already suitably burned in my it's original owner, I think I'll be able to start with some initial thoughts pretty quickly. My first pair to try with by my LCD-3s and then my HD800s. But I'll squeeze in my W3000s next.
smile.gif

Quote:

I think it doesn't take much to figure why the W3000ANV belongs in the high-end forum. It can be a game-ender for some folks.

Agreed. Didn't you jetison your SR-007s after you received the W3000ANVs? FWIW, I prefer them to the SR007s as well (though I've never been a big fan of the stats).

Apr 29, 2012 at 9:09 PM Post #2,473 of 3,599
Well I for one can say they sound absolutely fabulous on the lf. I've listened to them on a couple of occasions with Brent's(headfi user The Wuss) lf, and they really do have great synergy with that amp. The mids with the amp are among best I've heard from any headphone. There's no fixing the lack of bass extension, but the texture of the bass is right up there with some of the best headphones with that combo. The hd800 were the best I've ever heard them from the lf, but the w3000 sounds even better with that amp, and there no hiss or any background noise with that amp which is surprising since it's a pretty powerful amp. But I think the w3000 loves tubes in general. They also sound excellent with my vintage transformer coupled fisher amp. Also, I find the treble can be a tad bit excessive with some amps. That's not the case with the lf. The treble is clean, controlled without a bit of sibilance or grain. I would highly recommend that combo for someone willing to shell out the cash.

Apr 29, 2012 at 9:15 PM Post #2,474 of 3,599
This is surprising, but very nice to hear...Although it makes me want a pair even more now...

Really looking forward to what MH has to say when he gets his LF. The extension is disappointing, but if vocals come out that nice on them I'd be willing to overlook that. 

Also considering the Signature Pros as they can be had for a pretty good price lately. I also really want to try the HD800 on the LF but as popular as they are they're tough to get a hold of down here for some reason.

Quote:
Well I for one can say they sound absolutely fabulous on the lf. I've listened to them on a couple of occasions with Brent's(headfi user The Wuss) lf, and they really do have great synergy with that amp. The mids with the amp are among best I've heard from any headphone. There's no fixing the lack of bass extension, but the texture of the bass is right up there with some of the best headphones with that combo. The hd800 were the best I've ever heard them from the lf, but the w3000 sounds even better with that amp, and there no hiss or any background noise with that amp which is surprising since it's a pretty powerful amp. But I think the w3000 loves tubes in general. They also sound excellent with my vintage transformer coupled fisher amp. Also, I find the treble can be a tad bit excessive with some amps. That's not the case with the lf. The treble is clean, controlled without a bit of sibilance or grain. I would highly recommend that combo for someone willing to shell out the cash.

Apr 29, 2012 at 9:30 PM Post #2,475 of 3,599

Quote:

Quote:
This is surprising, but very nice to hear...Although it makes me want a pair even more now...

Really looking forward to what MH has to say when he gets his LF. The extension is disappointing, but if vocals come out that nice on them I'd be willing to overlook that. 

Also considering the Signature Pros as they can be had for a pretty good price lately. I also really want to try the HD800 on the LF but as popular as they are they're tough to get a hold of down here for some reason.

Thanks for that moodryn for that. Looks like the LF is one size fits all amp. Can't wait to give the W3000/LF a try next week.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back