New "Edition 7 Limited" Headphones
Nov 24, 2003 at 4:31 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 26

Jap

500+ Head-Fier
[size=medium]As I promised previously, I am posting the response from Ultrasone regarding their new Edition 7 Limited headphones. My apologies for being late with this info as I was getting up to speed with a new job.

Von: John A. Prosper [mailto:japrosper@hotmail.com]
Gesendet: Dienstag, 11. November 2003 17:45
An: info@edition7.com
Betreff: New "Edition 7 Limited" Headphones

Dear Sir | Madam:

I heard about your new headphones on the Head-Fi forum (www.head-fi.org), the premier audiophile headphone website on the planet. I understand that one can gain more information from this email address. Although I am interested in the build quality (Ethiopian hair sheep leather, red cherry wood, metal), I am most concerned with the sonic technology involved:
  1. enclosure design (electrostatic, dynamic: closed, open-air)?
  2. ultra-high purity, long crystal (UHPLC) voice coil, connecting cord?
  3. replaceable connecting cord?
  4. frequency response, sensitivity, SPL?
  5. impedance?
  6. weight?
Please respond with whatever information you can afford to release at this time. There are a lot of Head-Fi members who are very interested in your response and even more non-member users who log in for audiophile-quality headphone information.

Most respectfully,

John A. Prosper

Dear John,

thank You for being interested in our new product.

Edition7 limited was recently presented in Vienna and had a very positive feedback concerning quality and sound.

The set is designed for audiophiles and collectors, not for studio application and is hand made with the finest materials and technologies available. The targeted applications are mainly DVD-Audio and -Video. Out of this reason, we decided to design it as a closed back dynamic headphone.
The new driver, which is a small and very lightweight Titanium-Mylar compound, has very good qualities in frequency response and decomposition rates which improves the detailed transparency especially in the upper frequency range. If problems occur with the cord, it will be replaced by ULTRASONE in Penzberg.

Further specifications:
S-Logicâ„¢ Natural Surround Sound

PROline standard

Frequency range 8 Hz - 35.000 Hz

Impedance 30 ohm

Sound pressure level 96 dB

Nominal headband pressure: 5,2 N

Cord length ca. 3m, including extension cord ca. 4m,

With 6,3mm gilded chinch plug each

Weight (without cord) 310 g

Please find some pictures attached for Your information.

Each headphones is seperately checked and measured. This is necessary because of the individual sound quality differences of the soft and durable (and smelly) genuine leather earpad.

We highly appreciate the discussion standards in the head-fi forum and hope that many of the headfellows get the possibility to learn more about ULTRASONEs philosophy in headphones.

It is not only sound and frequency response, which is our goal. We have created S-Logic Natural surround sound, which is the only headphone system in the world, which is able to adress your individual outer ear and which gives you the possibility of hearing not known details in your recordings in combination with lower SPL and reduced magnetic field emissions. Remember - just for comparison - using a current headphone is like placing 5-10 computer monitors (not the TFT-models, the old ones) directly around your head. Using PROline by ULTRASONE reduces this by up to 98 %. In numbers: a monitor has 200 nT in 12 inches distance. Current headphones go up to 2.000 nT, PROline has a maximum of 50 nT, which is less than the area around the user has.

Many professionals have recognized the benefits of our philosophy, and we see an absolute need to inform the people about health care aspects while using headphones.

Hope to have helped you and all the other headfellows.
Best regards

Michael Willberg
ULTRASONE AG

Im Thal 9
D-82377 Penzberg

Tel: +49-(0)8856-9366-10
Fax: +49-(0)8856-9366-99

m.willberg@ultrasone.de
www.ultrasone.com
[/size]

Nov 24, 2003 at 5:23 PM Post #2 of 26
So headphones cause brain cancer?
redface.gif

Nov 24, 2003 at 6:57 PM Post #4 of 26
Quote:

Originally posted by 3Double
So headphones cause brain cancer?
redface.gif

Whoever spends $2.5k on a pair of headphones probably has no brain to worry about
very_evil_smiley.gif

Nov 24, 2003 at 7:53 PM Post #6 of 26
Old monitors used to release some readiation on you,thats why they had to be covered with protection screen.But any modern monitor has TCO95 or TCO97 safety sertificate wich means its radiation is so low its not above the normal radiation that is everywhere around us.LCD(TFT) screens do not have any advantage IIRC.LCD screens can never make ur eyes tired even with low refresh rates - but thats another subject.

Nov 24, 2003 at 9:31 PM Post #7 of 26
Quote:

Whoever spends $2.5k on a pair of headphones probably has no brain to warry about

Gee, thanks for that. But you're right, I'm not warried.
redface.gif

Nov 25, 2003 at 12:03 AM Post #8 of 26
Quote:

Originally posted by Wmcmanus
Gee, thanks for that. But you're right, I'm not warried.
redface.gif

Why is it always the guy with the poor spelling that seems to post the flame, be it half-joking or not? Oh well, maybe I'm just warrying too much.

Nov 25, 2003 at 12:11 AM Post #9 of 26
Quote:

Originally posted by pikawel
Why is it always the guy with the poor spelling that seems to post the flame, be it half-joking or not? Oh well, maybe I'm just warrying too much.

Actually, it means to be cursed, or condemned. Or in other words, one would not have a brain to curse with radiation.

Nov 25, 2003 at 12:32 AM Post #11 of 26
Quote:

Why is it always the guy with the poor spelling that seems to post the flame, be it half-joking or not?

Oops, I missed the smiling devil in the original post. My apologies - it was meant to be 'half joking' afterall.
wink.gif

Nov 25, 2003 at 7:12 AM Post #15 of 26
You might want to consider taking his email address out of the post...he would probably be very pissed if he started to get a ton of spam from some webcrawler...I would be interested to hear the headphones though. I am rather skeptical they could pull off a surround sound thing and make it truly accurate.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back