New Dragonfly Black and Red Discussion
Nov 8, 2016 at 10:29 AM Post #2,073 of 5,077

What headphones do you use? Do you listen to spotify lossless or lossy? Depending on Your usage, a DAC might not be worth the investment.

I lissen with the free version off Spotify.

I have the AKG K550.

I have an Astro Mixamp Pro2013 on home and the AKG sound 10 times better with those that with the pc.

I know that they are only 32ohms but the DAC is what matters here..

I need a good DAC for the price ofc.

Nov 8, 2016 at 11:39 AM Post #2,076 of 5,077
FiiO E12a is just an amp, whereas the E10K and Dragonfly are both DAC and amp.

The E12a will simply amplify the sound it's receiving from whichever DAC it's connected to.

Nov 8, 2016 at 12:13 PM Post #2,077 of 5,077
Right, I forgot that e12a is just an amp, but bass boost on e12a gives extra bass for sure. Also, wouldn't amp also affect the sound signature? I heard pairing IFI ICAN with IFI micro IDSD produces smoother sound compared to that from IFI micro IDSD alone. 

Nov 9, 2016 at 7:25 AM Post #2,078 of 5,077
Quick question for anyone that has black and red.
I have the Black and find the volume control extremely sensitive with my IE80s.
Volume at 1 is too quiet and volume at 2 is too loud. 
I have to use the volume control on spotify to pull it back a bit.
I have heard that the Red's volume control is more linear.
Anyone ?
Thanks

Nov 9, 2016 at 7:37 AM Post #2,079 of 5,077
Anyone ?
Thanks

Don't own both (only red), however auditioned both before purchasing red and had the same issue with my Westone UMPro 50 - they sounded too loud with black. Red provided better volume control and more weight to the sound. Hope this helps.

On a side note. Buy UE buffer jack for $10 and it eliminates impendence mismatch and somewhat lowers the signal from amp and thus I listen to music from Red (iPhone 7+ and Spotify) at around 40-45% of volume - couldn't do this without buffer jack (volume was set at 10-15% max without it).
http://pro.ultimateears.com/adjustable-ambient-filters-203

Nov 9, 2016 at 7:37 AM Post #2,080 of 5,077
Anyone ?
Thanks

I have demoed both and waiting for the red to be in stocks. What you observe is definitely true. At my listening levels, the red offers a wider range of volume. The black was either too soft or too loud.

Nov 9, 2016 at 7:49 AM Post #2,081 of 5,077
Don't own both (only red), however auditioned both before purchasing red and had the same issue with my Westone UMPro 50 - they sounded too loud with black. Red provided better volume control and more weight to the sound. Hope this helps.

On a side note. Buy UE buffer jack for $10 and it eliminates impendence mismatch and somewhat lowers the signal from amp and thus I listen to music from Red (iPhone 7+ and Spotify) at around 40-45% of volume - couldn't do this without buffer jack (volume was set at 10-15% max without it).
http://pro.ultimateears.com/adjustable-ambient-filters-203

I have demoed both and waiting for the red to be in stocks. What you observe is definitely true. At my listening levels, the red offers a wider range of volume. The black was either too soft or too loud.

Thanks =]
I will order a red

Nov 9, 2016 at 12:09 PM Post #2,082 of 5,077
Yes but red is like the double off the black... double the price! (Black 100$ and red 200$...)

Since you have heard both, do you really think that the red deserves another 100$.

The problem for me is non existent since i am going to use this only in the pc at home.

Thanks

Nov 9, 2016 at 12:54 PM Post #2,084 of 5,077
Yes but red is like the double off the black... double the price! (Black 100$ and red 200$...)

Since you have heard both, do you really think that the red deserves another 100$.

The problem for me is non existent since i am going to use this only in the pc at home.

Thanks

I prefer DFB with my headphone (th900 and mdr z7) so i don't think so. However, it really depends on personal taste. You might love DFR

Nov 9, 2016 at 8:21 PM Post #2,085 of 5,077
I tried my friend's DragonFly Red on my 2013 MacBook Pro. After configuring the device according to the steps outlined in the manual, I played some flacs through Vox player — switching back and forth between the DragonFly and the built-in headphone jack, the difference was subtle. However, using VLC the difference was more noticeable.

I also tried it on my HTC 10 with PowerAmp (non-alpha), and preferred the sound produced by HTC's DAC.

EDIT: switched to USB Audio Player Pro on HTC 10 and the DFR actually sounds pretty good now — I must have been doing it wrong before
redface.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back