New DENON "Music Maniac" & "Urban Raver" Lines: D7100, D600, D400 & C300 Impressions Thread
Oct 22, 2012 at 4:24 PM Post #1,158 of 1,588
I have found a slight roll off in the mid-treble with the D600, but not nearly as excessive as some say in my opinion. Similar to the Beyers, there is a peak higher up which causes things to sound a little sparkly.

Sibilance is a non-issue with this headphone while it still sounds airy, which I appreciate.

Oct 22, 2012 at 8:17 PM Post #1,159 of 1,588
The D600s are fantastic phones that, like the BW P5s, got unjustly smeared from the jump on this site and now can't get off the ground. Sorry, but calling these a "sloppy mess" or "non-audiophile" is just silly. They are clean and detailed in the bass and sparkle up top. Mids are natural but a tiny bit set back. Space, depth and air are wonderful. Mids Not overly regressed, as I'm a big forward-mids guy. I run them on a Peachtree Nova with an Airport Express as the source. Fantastic phones. The only benefit to all this bad press is that I've bought a repackaged set on Amazon Warhouse for $359.

Oct 22, 2012 at 8:47 PM Post #1,160 of 1,588
Quote:
The D600s are fantastic phones that, like the BW P5s, got unjustly smeared from the jump on this site and now can't get off the ground. Sorry, but calling these a "sloppy mess" or "non-audiophile" is just silly. They are clean and detailed in the bass and sparkle up top. Mids are natural but a tiny bit set back. Space, depth and air are wonderful. Mids Not overly regressed, as I'm a big forward-mids guy. I run them on a Peachtree Nova with an Airport Express as the source. Fantastic phones. The only benefit to all this bad press is that I've bought a repackaged set on Amazon Warhouse for $359.

I was anxiously awaiting these headphones. At the beginning of this thread the first few people that purchased them gave them glowing over the top reviews. Unfortunately, a lot of these people were newer members without a lot of experience with headphones, and purchased them because they were 'new'. I was really interested in hearing them, and when I finally heard them I was sorely unimpressed. I expressed my dislike and got a lot of flack for it. After a little while, more people heard them and started to agree. 

I think they got a nice jump at the beginning, but Denon didn't do their homework this time and created a so-so product. 

Oct 22, 2012 at 9:16 PM Post #1,161 of 1,588
Quote:

I was anxiously awaiting these headphones. At the beginning of this thread the first few people that purchased them gave them glowing over the top reviews. Unfortunately, a lot of these people were newer members without a lot of experience with headphones, and purchased them because they were 'new'. I was really interested in hearing them, and when I finally heard them I was sorely unimpressed. I expressed my dislike and got a lot of flack for it. After a little while, more people heard them and started to agree. 

I think they got a nice jump at the beginning, but Denon didn't do their homework this time and created a so-so product. 

I'd like to know how they compare to the beats since that seems to be their desired competition.

Oct 22, 2012 at 11:21 PM Post #1,163 of 1,588
Quote:
I'd like to know how they compare to the beats since that seems to be their desired competition.

*winds up the pimp hand*

Quote:

You weren't the only one, I also criticised the validity of the noob reviewers - and received some flack for it. 

Oct 22, 2012 at 11:26 PM Post #1,164 of 1,588
Quote:

You weren't the only one, I also criticised the validity of the noob reviewers - and received some flack for it. 

Well, I guess I just felt singled out 
wink.gif
. Also, I didn't want to use that word

Oct 22, 2012 at 11:43 PM Post #1,165 of 1,588
Quote:

Well, I guess I just felt singled out 
wink.gif
. Also, I didn't want to use that word

Call a duck a duck. I was right so I frankly don't care.

The D600 is still ok, but not great, especially at its suggested price. It has a few usability advantages, and a few sonic disadvantages. 

Oct 22, 2012 at 11:57 PM Post #1,166 of 1,588
Quote:
Call a duck a duck. I was right so I frankly don't care.

The D600 is still ok, but not great, especially at its suggested price. It has a few usability advantages, and a few sonic disadvantages. 

I preferred "less experienced user". It is what I tried to subtly say. I didn't want to start and argument, but did have to bite my tongue a few times reading through comments. 

I agree. Comfort and look wise it's definitely up there. But to charge $500 on an 'audiophile' basis, you better deliver. At the $500 you've got competition from Mad Dogs, HE-400, Paradox, and HD650s, just to name a few. 

Oct 23, 2012 at 12:00 AM Post #1,167 of 1,588
Quote:

I preferred "less experienced user". It is what I tried to subtly say. I didn't want to start and argument, but did have to bite my tongue a few times reading through comments. 

I agree. Comfort and look wise it's definitely up there. But to charge $500 on an 'audiophile' basis, you better deliver. At the $500 you've got competition from Mad Dogs, HE-400, Paradox, and HD650s, just to name a few. 

I wouldn't compare them directly, just as I wouldn't put them in the same market as the D5000. I think the D600 are more targeted to the portable full-size crowd. Not full sized home users. 
But since I won the M100, I couldn't give a rats about portable, And my D7000 slaps the **** out of the D600 for home use.

Oct 23, 2012 at 12:29 AM Post #1,168 of 1,588
Quote:
I wouldn't compare them directly, just as I wouldn't put them in the same market as the D5000. I think the D600 are more targeted to the portable full-size crowd. Not full sized home users. 
But since I won the M100, I couldn't give a rats about portable, And my D7000 slaps the **** out of the D600 for home use.

I think you're right, the D600's design is geared toward the portable full size users rather than for home. They just offer a good way to use it at home with the non-mic cable, that's about it. 

So it should be treated as such. Big plus is that they sound good straight out of a portable DAP or laptop/tablet, something which cannot be said about the mad dogs or 650. You can't even take the 650 outside it's just silly. And I personally don't buy the "portable amp/dac" BS, maybe I will some day but not now, since that kinda defeats the idea of *portable*. 

About the D400, if the price ever goes down to 299 or even 199 then it would make more sense, since 299 is pretty much the threshold that most people would spend for an Apple-compatible headphone, most of the expensive ones at Apple Stores retail at such. I feel like Denon messed up their pricing strategy big time, every model should have had their MSRP down by $100 or even $150. At least the street prices are somewhat acceptable now, but if they had their MSRP good enough they might even have their stuff sold at BBs/Apple Stores which goes by MSRP 99% of the time, that way they would get a lot more exposure to the average consumer.

Oct 23, 2012 at 6:54 AM Post #1,169 of 1,588
Quote:
Originally Posted by LinkPro /img/forum/go_quote.gif

About the D400, if the price ever goes down to 299 or even 199 then it would make more sense, since 299 is pretty much the threshold that most people would spend for an Apple-compatible headphone, most of the expensive ones at Apple Stores retail at such. I feel like Denon messed up their pricing strategy big time, every model should have had their MSRP down by $100 or even $150. At least the street prices are somewhat acceptable now, but if they had their MSRP good enough they might even have their stuff sold at BBs/Apple Stores which goes by MSRP 99% of the time, that way they would get a lot more exposure to the average consumer.

Yea the MSRP still confuses me. Styled for the average consumer, priced at audiophile price, but performs somewhere low in-between(from what I've read). Designed like a portable headphone, but too big to be called that.

The D400 would've been a good portable, then Denon put huge knobs sticking out the side. I know I shouldn't care what other people think but if I ran into a person with beats, even if I let them demo the D400 and they liked it they'd be like, "that sounds pretty good, but it looks screw*** hideous", which would be true.

Denon seems confused. 

Quote:
*winds up the pimp hand*

Don't slap me! Slap the guy in R&D that decided the beats looked good enough to copy.

Oct 23, 2012 at 7:32 AM Post #1,170 of 1,588
These look nothing like beats and are way too big for mobile use. Much bigger than Beats. I've never heard Beats, but I suspect they're inferior.

Denon sells that feature to sell the phones to the iPhone crowd and loses a bit of audiophile cred as a consequence, as evidenced here. I'm listening to them now (Yusef Lateef). They really bring the recordings to life. I've listened to everything from Townes Van Zandt to Chemical Brothers and the D600s have been a blast- fast, full and sweet.

For closed cans, the stage and space are as good as I've heard.

I truly believe people have been distracted by the street-use positioning.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back