New DENON "Music Maniac" & "Urban Raver" Lines: D7100, D600, D400 & C300 Impressions Thread
Aug 1, 2012 at 10:34 PM Post #16 of 1,588
@ kstaken
Must be the first to get these headphones on headfi. Congrats 
beerchug.gif

Funny- from your photos they look decent(ish)

Anyway, hope they sound like a thousand pounds.

Aug 1, 2012 at 11:16 PM Post #21 of 1,588
Quote:
[size=medium] I'll post some very preliminary, pre-burnin, sound impressions shortly.[/size]

Please do not take much time, I am sure many head-if'er is waiting to hear from you...

wait is killing me...it is bigger then new iphone release I feel

Aug 2, 2012 at 12:02 AM Post #24 of 1,588
Does short cable has the built-in remote as on D600? The new design is acceptable for me but i prefer headband of older headphones. D600 have good isolation but you still will hear subway trains with them on. As i said in old thread I will compare them to my D7000 this Sunday just want to give D600 more burn-in time, unfortunately heard D2000 too long time ago so no comment. Couple of trucks i heard let me really feel the bass so I somehow would agree with Denon's statement about speakers like sound from headphones
@gonkulator  After listening to my favorite Kraftwerk and hearing best bass i ever heard from my Cowon A3 player (I tried several IEMs plus DT1350, also heard T70p at the recent meet) I think K550 should be first to go. I'm definitely keeping my D600 an will put DT1350 for sale soon
Edit: J&R will do price match. I bought my D600 yesterday for $499, came home and found out that Amazon's price is $400 so came back to the store today with the receipt and they refunded the difference

Aug 2, 2012 at 12:07 AM Post #25 of 1,588
OK, some rough sound impressions of the D7100. Obviously fresh out of the box and full on new toy syndrome in effect.
[size=medium]  [/size]
[size=medium] For these quick impressions I used an Apex Peak amp fed by a Metric Halo ULN-2 firewire interface acting as a firewire to coax converter and then feeding the DAC section of a Denon DCD-A100 SACD player. I've found that the Peak does not have 100% synergy with the D5000 so I'm not sure if it's the right amp for the D7100 but these impressions are extremely preliminary so it doesn't really matter.[/size]
[size=medium]  [/size]
[size=medium] When I first hit play I was kinda knocked over by the bass. If there was concern that the bass would be gone from these I don't think that's the case. These have more bass than any other headphone I own including the LCD-2. My D5000 when they were stock probably had more and the bass in those was not well controlled but with the markl mod the bass is toned down considerably. The bass in the D7100 seems to fit far better than the stock D5000. It's definitely there but unlike the D5000 it doesn't sound out of control it just provides a solid foundation for the music. When it's called for it's there, when it's not it's not. It's also feeling like maybe the bass is settling down a little as I listen more, it was a little jarring at first. [/size]
[size=medium]  [/size]
[size=medium] Tonality beyond the bass seems extremely good. In fact it's probably as good as anything I've heard. Listing to Fabio Zanon playing classical guitar the notes are projecting with air and subtlety that is quite remarkable for a sealed dynamic headphone. To talk about the mids or highs seems pointless as it just sounds like music.[/size]
[size=medium]  [/size]
[size=medium] In general Denon has done a fantastic job of creating a closed headphone that does not sound like a closed headphone. The older Denons even though they were semi-open actually sound more closed in than the D7100. Even out of the box the soundstage is big and open sounding, in some way similar to the AKG K550 but the sound is much more refined and there's definitely more bass. Presentation of stage depth seems to be as good as anything I've heard and it does a good job of getting the stage out of your head. It doesn't push it out as far as the HD800 but maybe comparable to the Stax SR-507. Stage width seems good although not huge, maybe about the same as the Stax SR-507.[/size]
[size=medium]  [/size]
[size=medium] Detail level on these is very high and they don't sound bright to me at all. Detail level is well beyond what something like an LCD-2 can deliver and probably beats the Stax SR-507. Whether it approaches the HD800 is tough to say but I definitely see these as being a highly resolving and transparent headphone. [/size]
[size=medium]  [/size]
[size=medium] Speed is good and they can carry the rhythmic bounce of the songs I've seen other headphones like the HD650 fall flat on their face with.[/size]
[size=medium]  [/size]
[size=medium] Dynamic range seem very good and the fact they isolate really makes that a good thing. They can do soft and quiet. Which might seem like a strange thing to say but some very popular high-end headphones (cough LCD-2 cough) kinda fail in that area.  [/size]
[size=medium]  [/size]
[size=medium] OK, I guess that's a start. For a closed headphone that actually isolates my initial impressions on these are enormously favorable. Hell, even if they were an open headphone they'd still be favorable. [/size]

Aug 2, 2012 at 12:07 AM Post #26 of 1,588
Quote:
Does short cable has the built-in remote as on D600? The new design is acceptable for me but i prefer headband of older headphones. D600 have good isolation but you still will hear subway trains with them on. As i said in old thread I will compare them to my D7000 this Sunday just want to give D600 more burn-in time, unfortunately heard D2000 too long time ago so no comment. Couple of trucks i heard let me really feel the bass so I somehow would agree with Denon's statement about speakers like sound from headphones
@gonkulator  After listening to my favorite Kraftwerk and hearing best bass i ever heard from my Cowon A3 player (I tried several IEMs plus DT1350, also heard T70p at the recent meet) I think K550 should be first to go. I'm definitely keeping my D600 an will put DT1350 for sale soon

It's that good? How is the punch of the bass, how much 'kick' do you feel? Does it extend well?  Build Quality overall? 

Aug 2, 2012 at 12:19 AM Post #27 of 1,588
Quote:
It's that good? How is the punch of the bass, how much 'kick' do you feel? Does it extend well?  Build Quality overall? 

It's excellent. If it wasn't good i would say bloated and overpowering while I mean tight punchy an well controlled. It really kicks well. I even felt air movement on couple of tracks. How well it extends or how deep it goes i have to try some classical tommorow from my player first and then Sunday on my computer setup.
Edit: I think that those who looking for more bass and willing to pay more for great sound should go for D600 and forget about DT770 and especially piercingly bright DT990

Aug 2, 2012 at 12:21 AM Post #28 of 1,588
I'd assume the D7100 has the same cable. It has ipod controls.

I'm sure these things don't have the best isolation but the fact they isolate as much as they do was a very pleasant surprise as in Arizona in the summer time air conditioners and fans are a constant annoyance. They do a good job of blocking out that level of noise.

Quote:
Edit: J&R will do price match. I bought my D600 yesterday for $499, came home and found out that Amazon's price is $400 so came back to the store today with the receipt and they refunded the difference

Aug 2, 2012 at 12:29 AM Post #29 of 1,588
Quote:

I'm sure these things don't have the best isolation but the fact they isolate as much as they do was a very pleasant surprise as in Arizona in the summer time air conditioners and fans are a constant annoyance. They do a good job of blocking out that level of noise.

I bought my D600 for portable use and i tried them outside so subway trains was the only thing i heard. Be aware that since short cable has a remote it will work PROPERLY ONLY with APPLE CRAPWARE, i tried with my cowon and got weird sound with to low volume, the workaround to press and hold big middle button

Aug 2, 2012 at 12:35 AM Post #30 of 1,588
Quote:
Quote:

I bought my D600 for portable use and i tried them outside so subway trains was the only thing i heard. Be aware that since short cable has a remote it will work PROPERLY ONLY with APPLE CRAPWARE, i tried with my cowon and got weird sound with to low volume, the workaround to press and hold big middle button

What was your vol level on your phone...50% or more?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back