New DAP Shanling M2 is coming, smaller size and all new design
Mar 27, 2016 at 8:07 PM Post #48 of 50
One thing before I add my preamble about the DAC compatibility with Android..I want to share this with you all. Some one asked me what I thought of theh DX80 vs the Shanling M2. I went on a bit of a history to explain why I feel the way I feel about the DX80 and M2. As it's important. Feel free to share your thoughts on what I said.

After using the Shanling M2, the rest of the players seldomly get used or have been returned of sold to local friends. I know that's horrible..The iBasso DX80 is still mine, I still hold it in VERY high regard. The Fiio X5ii was and is a great player, but I felt like something was and is missing. It's too flat, there's a lack of energy to the music (for me energy is sub-bass and presence in the high). The X3ii surprisingly was better at somethings than the X5ii, but still not where I wanted it to be, so after getting the DX80, I felt like I had found the one. It had everything I wanted out of a player. Power, energy, details, memory expandability, screen, UI, it was the all in one I was seeking.. but of course will all of us here on Head-Fi, that's never enough.. Curiosity takes the better of us, and causes us to question if it's right for us or not. So of course I go on and buy more players, step in the Plenue D. The Plenue D was the first player to make me feel completely satisfied with a player while causing me to still want more out of a player. A it has all the vibrancy and customizability of ANY player I've used. Not to mention the size is phenomenal and battery life is unmatched. Afterwards, I went on a stint with extrernal DACs, amps, and tried buying the Fiio X7, but got shipped the Astell & Kern AK Jr by mistake, which was a good thing but more on that later. But all of that just confused me more.
     Finally, here comes the Shanling M2. The M2 has a very natural sound to it that gives the sound a true "in room" feel to the sound. It's never too bright or bassy. it tries it's best to always stay fairly neutral. However, it's a vibrant neutral  That doesn't mean a V shaped sound, that just means that everything is boosted, Bass, Mids, Highs, it's all perfectly present and working together in unison to create a wonderful sound that needs to be heard to understand.Furthermore, due to the "In room sound" it gives the sound stage realism that the DX80 or alot of other players don't offer. The only player I've used/own that has offer that type of true to life sound is the Astell & Kern AK Jr. Which is roughly $400 therefore, at $200 the Shanling M2 is a real steal.
     The DX80 is still a fantastic player I really do still love it. I still say it has a very lively engaging sound, the screen is still one of the best on the market especially in the price range, the Channel separation is still one of the best. In direct comparison in terms of just sound, the DX80 is more mid-centric, iBasso gives you more of everything in every possible way. If you want more Bass, it can give you that deep rumble, if you want highs, it will give you shrill highs, which to some is a good thing or a bad thing. I love having the option to get things out of hand or keep everything smooth and creamy. Which the DX80 provides. The M2 holds back on you, it gives you more by giving you less to be more controlled. Which for a lot of people is important....

Mar 28, 2016 at 1:02 AM Post #49 of 50
Ok that quite a statement.

At CanJam singapore I did try many player and kinda like the Questyle simplicity and design. But in the sound department I still can't really asses difference and such because I'm really new to this kinda thing. Matching various song and iem and DAP really confuses me. Need time to really appreciate and audition myself.

This is the first time I really considering buying my first true DAP. Like people said once you heard it cannot be unheard and it bugs you. I guess I caught the DAP bug.

How would you/ orhers compare M2 with other DAP if price is range is no concern?

Can't wait to hear your experience with Android compatibility.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back