New custom IEM company - Custom Art: discussion, review, and impressions thread
Aug 17, 2013 at 1:08 PM Post #241 of 4,065
Quote:
  Honestly, whereas detachable cable is a must for 1.2k euros iems such as se5, it is less important at this price point IMO, as long as you use good stock cables.

I've had conversations with Peter about detachable cables; he's definitely working on them and recognizes that many, many head-fiers want them in silicone monitors --- it takes time to get the results consistent, though. What Spiral does with the removable cables (two-pin, no less) is remarkable. ACS has a proprietary connection, and Sensaphonics has the MMCX soldered to a PCB board. That makes failure less likely, though at higher cost. Sensaphonics' existing relationship with Shure gives them an advantage in sourcing parts, etc. so I suspect removable cables will take a bit more time to complete R&D and implementation for Peter. As for the stock cables right now, they're identical to what Minerva uses, and what I suspect many companies are using --- same source provider. If Peter's cables fail, then so do many other companies'.

Aug 17, 2013 at 1:59 PM Post #242 of 4,065
From my experience with Spiral ears, you can see that the sockets must be handled with A LOT of care. Since the insides are not solid but slightly elastic, if you push or pull on the socket too much, it might damage something...so changing cables regularly or even ABing cables is not an option for me. You can also see thwt consistency is not easy. My left socket is slightly deeper than my right.

Aug 17, 2013 at 2:00 PM Post #243 of 4,065
Got my Pro 330 yesterday. For some reason my 330 got some crazy sibilance. Can´t listen to them :/ Fit seems perfect. 
hey, that's nowhere how pro 330 should be, do you think I have messed something up? How's Margareta's IEM, does she report sibilance as well?
I'd be more than happy to resolve this issue but please shout me an email at info@thecustomart.com

On the impedance of IEMs vs impedance of player. Pro 330 is slightly different beast then regular. The higher the impedance of the player the more V-shaped IEM will get. So that's why I do not recommend using attenuators with it. 50ohm in line makes it sound a bit muddy.

Aug 17, 2013 at 3:38 PM Post #244 of 4,065
On the cable issue:  Yes, we'd all like the option of a removable cable.  The existing cable is not bad, it appears well made and does not tangle easily because it's a little springy and very smooth.  Having said that the Y split is a touch short and a springy cable is very slightly more difficult to put back in it's box.

Overall the sound quality of the CIEM are amazing.  I don't know if you can do better for the price.  Listening to music I prefer them over my CT-500 and the organic sounding vocals make my favourite vocal trance (and vocal heavy EDM) more enjoyable than the JH13pro.

Aug 17, 2013 at 4:00 PM Post #245 of 4,065
The CIEMs look good. In part I regret not ordering. I know I would prefer the comfort of these. But the lack of detachable cable is what stopped me.

I'm sure the cable is quality, but I don't have the best luck. That and I enjoy making my own custom cables.

I'll definitely be on board in the future when/if detachable ones become available.

Aug 18, 2013 at 4:42 AM Post #247 of 4,065
hey, that's nowhere how pro 330 should be, do you think I have messed something up? How's Margareta's IEM, does she report sibilance as well?
I'd be more than happy to resolve this issue but please shout me an email at info@thecustomart.com

She is not home. But she can try them tomorrow. It sounds like there is something weird with the high driver. Need to do more testing.

Aug 20, 2013 at 1:47 PM Post #248 of 4,065
Guys, I tried the Pro330 with Tera Player. Pro330 pairs really really good with Tera Player.

I'm sorry I doubted you Piotr, the Pro330 is indeed a different beast. The new Steven Wilson album sounded better with Tera Player than with AK120. I don't know how is this even possible.. but I am completely wrong about impedance matching.
To my ear, the Pro330 is faster than SE5 and more revealing (more monitoring quality) although it is not as detailed. Thank you again Piotr for creating such an AWESOME product.

Quote:
On the impedance of IEMs vs impedance of player. Pro 330 is slightly different beast then regular. The higher the impedance of the player the more V-shaped IEM will get. So that's why I do not recommend using attenuators with it. 50ohm in line makes it sound a bit muddy.

Quote:
@jazzyfi- have you tried it with your Tera player? If so how is the match?

Also curious about over all tonality. Do cymbals sound brassy or steely? How is distortion guitar crunch? Does it have nice bite or is it smoothed over a bit.

Sorry to pepper you wih all the questions, but thank you for your responses!

Aug 20, 2013 at 2:19 PM Post #249 of 4,065
Quote:
Guys, I tried the Pro330 with Tera Player. Pro330 pairs really really good with Tera Player.

I'm sorry I doubted you Piotr, the Pro330 is indeed a different beast. The new Steven Wilson album sounded better with Tera Player than with AK120. I don't know how is this even possible.. but I am completely wrong about impedance matching.
To my ear, the Pro330 is faster than SE5 and more revealing (more monitoring quality) although it is not as detailed. Thank you again Piotr for creating such an AWESOME product.

You have nothing to be sorry for :)

Thank you Andrew for your kind words. It means a lot to hear it from you. Enjoy your Pro330

Aug 20, 2013 at 2:37 PM Post #250 of 4,065
Even though my student wallet can't allow me to purchase another ciem right now and I def. need a dap so it has the priority, I am looking forward to hear your further plans and features. I know soon or late, I will own a CustomArt product too.

Poland is really becoming serious about making ciems
etysmile.gif

Aug 20, 2013 at 4:07 PM Post #251 of 4,065

Very tempting! Thanks for the update.

Aug 21, 2013 at 1:07 AM Post #252 of 4,065
Hi Deviltooth,

Kindly ask if you could share some impressions regarding JH13fp vs Custom Pro 330?

I am in the market for CIEM and narrow down to JH13fp / SE 5 before i found this thread.

Appreciate your feedback.
Thanks

On the cable issue:  Yes, we'd all like the option of a removable cable.  The existing cable is not bad, it appears well made and does not tangle easily because it's a little springy and very smooth.  Having said that the Y split is a touch short and a springy cable is very slightly more difficult to put back in it's box.

Overall the sound quality of the CIEM are amazing.  I don't know if you can do better for the price.  Listening to music I prefer them over my CT-500 and the organic sounding vocals make my favourite vocal trance (and vocal heavy EDM) more enjoyable than the JH13pro.

Aug 21, 2013 at 2:07 AM Post #253 of 4,065
Quote:
Hi Deviltooth,

Kindly ask if you could share some impressions regarding JH13fp vs Custom Pro 330?

I am in the market for CIEM and narrow down to JH13fp / SE 5 before i found this thread.

Appreciate your feedback.
Thanks

I was going to throw it all into a review later on.  My scattershot observations to date:

JH13 has a lot of dynamic range.  It's more bass heavy than the Pro 330.  It's also a definite V shaped frequency response.  For me that means I'm sometimes straining for the vocals in a song, they're there but usually more recessed than I'd like.  JH13 is brighter than the Pro 330, it has excellent coherence and notes are sharp and defined.

Pro 330 presents a more organic sound with slightly rounded notes.  It is a warmer sound without being dark and still delivering excellent instrument separation.  Vocals are superb and treble has impressive extension.  Bass is good and can offer up slam and sub bass but not at the JH13's level.

Silicone is more comfortable than acrylic (though acrylic that fits is definitely comfortable).

JH Audio is competent but big company faceless.  The Custom Art is run by an individual with passion for what he's doing and the personal touch goes a long way.  All of my questions and concerns were answered rapidly and completely.

Currently the price of the Pro 330 is fantastically good.  Personally I find it as (or a little more) enjoyable a CIEM than I do the JH13.  Please note that these are my ears, not yours.  Also that I listen to a lot of EDM, vocal trance and Celtic folk.

At the end of the day you have to decide what sound signature might make you happiest and how much money you'd like to spend.  Neither is a bad choice.

Aug 21, 2013 at 3:35 AM Post #254 of 4,065

Haha, now i need a terra player for my 330! :)

Aug 22, 2013 at 2:00 AM Post #255 of 4,065
Thank you Deviltooth.
Appreciate your inputs.

Cheers mate.

I was going to throw it all into a review later on.  My scattershot observations to date:

JH13 has a lot of dynamic range.  It's more bass heavy than the Pro 330.  It's also a definite V shaped frequency response.  For me that means I'm sometimes straining for the vocals in a song, they're there but usually more recessed than I'd like.  JH13 is brighter than the Pro 330, it has excellent coherence and notes are sharp and defined.

Pro 330 presents a more organic sound with slightly rounded notes.  It is a warmer sound without being dark and still delivering excellent instrument separation.  Vocals are superb and treble has impressive extension.  Bass is good and can offer up slam and sub bass but not at the JH13's level.

Silicone is more comfortable than acrylic (though acrylic that fits is definitely comfortable).

JH Audio is competent but big company faceless.  The Custom Art is run by an individual with passion for what he's doing and the personal touch goes a long way.  All of my questions and concerns were answered rapidly and completely.

Currently the price of the Pro 330 is fantastically good.  Personally I find it as (or a little more) enjoyable a CIEM than I do the JH13.  Please note that these are my ears, not yours.  Also that I listen to a lot of EDM, vocal trance and Celtic folk.

At the end of the day you have to decide what sound signature might make you happiest and how much money you'd like to spend.  Neither is a bad choice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back