New CD Player Alert
Jan 22, 2004 at 12:18 PM Post #31 of 35
I now realize that I HAVE listened to this CDP about a week ago. The setup was identical to my setup at home (PreHead, HD600, stock cable). My home CDP is a Jolida JD100A.

Although I was more into comparing HD600 to HD650 on that day, I still can say that the CEC player is definitely not up to the Jolida in the bass and dynamics department.

To put it simply, I just thought at that time that I was listening to an entry level CDP with no authority in the low end but without the typical harsh highs.

Arnaud.

Jan 22, 2004 at 1:11 PM Post #32 of 35
thks for the info. I was not thrilled with either the 6000 OSE or CEC 3.3K, but CEC was less harsch on the highs and not bad on headphone out. I did try the headphone out on Marantz 7300 with CD3Ks to much for me. Will look into the C-1D, like TEAC, and try and A/B to 7300. Unfortunately, NAD is not as popular and often costs more in Tokyo. The C-1D and 7300 used can be found for around $300. Lists for C-1D is less than $400.

Jolida is a bit more expensive and have not seen yet in retail mkt. Plus I am looking for an entry level player for the office and temp til I drop $3K-$5K on my hi-end unit, which requires a lot more consideration.

again thks alot! Helps.

Jan 22, 2004 at 1:42 PM Post #33 of 35
Well, over here the CEC retails for 700 Euro new, while the 6000 OSE has been ~ 350 Euro most of the time (the last OSE LE units now going for 300 Euro new...). So while not exactly being thrilling (at least in unmodded condition
wink.gif
), the 6000 OSE always was fairly decent for the price. Personally, if I has some more money to spend at the moment, I'd definitely look into Arcus' new First Class CD, though - more info here: http://www.arcus-audio.de/arcusengli...FirstClass.htm

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini

Jan 22, 2004 at 8:13 PM Post #34 of 35
Quote:

Originally posted by tk_suki
Greatly appreciate your comments. So far audioasylum is the only place this unit has been discussed.

Welcome some add'l comments comparing the 3300B vs 6000OSE. Though realize you have already pretty much summed up the main difs.

Also, curious which model you tried gold or black? Recall that the black is newer with some small changes, it costs slightly more in Japan about $25-$40.

TK,

The unit I used was the gold model. I don't know if the black is even available in the US or not. I'm a little hesistant to give much more detail about the differences because I've sold both my Marantz players a while back and this brain of mine isn't what it used to be- they say the memory is the first to go! I've owned both the CD6000OSE and also a Marantz model CD19a which I think is only available for sale in Asia. When I used those, I had completely different systems- much warmer and less detailed than what I'm using now. But even then, there were players that I thought were grainy sounding on the top end, and I never thought the Marantz was grainy- however, I do remember them being a little thin sounding sometimes and sometime a bit bright- pretty unforgiving with bad recordings. I didn't have any trouble with brightness with the CEC.

One more thing that I should mention so that I don't mislead anyone- I use mid/high end cables from start to finish- all of my power, interconnects, and speaker cables are either Virtual Dynamic Nites, Cardas Neutral Reference, or PS Audio Lab cables. I also use things like Final Lab Darumas and VPI bricks for RF reduction and vibration control. I think this is important to mention because someone using the stock power cord will probably get less bass and more harshness in the top end.

Good luck in finding a player!

Jan 22, 2004 at 8:33 PM Post #35 of 35
Quote:

Any one know what "single-ended Class A output" means?

class a has already been explained but single ended nornally means a single active device ( 1 transistor or mosfet) in the signal path as opposed to an active circuit with either an opamp which internally uses many transistors/jfets or a push-pull discrete design

Users who are viewing this thread

Back