New CD Player Alert
Nov 10, 2003 at 10:31 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 35

Czilla9000

10 Year Member. Still no custom title.
Nov 10, 2003 at 10:57 PM Post #3 of 35
I'm really dying to try this- I've been watching it for a few months on Audio Advisor as well. I've almost pulled the trigger several times, then reminded myself that I have enough sources to last me a lifetime. They have a great rep for their transports, so I wouldn't think that it could be too bad. Audio Advisor always turns their returns into demos, so I've yet to see one of these on their demo lists- either no one has bought any or else everyone else is satisfied!

Someone please take a listen!

Of course, now that I've posted, I see that they do have a demo!

Nov 11, 2003 at 12:12 AM Post #4 of 35
Quote:

Originally posted by GlowWorm
Its not that new, been around for awhile. In fact CEC is coming out with a updated 3300 in a black finish.

When is it coming out?

Nov 11, 2003 at 12:27 AM Post #5 of 35
Quote:

Originally posted by Czilla9000
Someone might have mentioned this, but along with the new Cambridge Players, Audio Advisor is selling a new CD Player from CEC.

http://www.audioadvisor.com/store/pr...%20CD%20Player

It is Tube-based and is fully balanced for $499.

Anyone want to try it?

Sad to say, it's not tubes based.
Quote:

CEC brings single-ended "Class A" output to a solid state device with the CD-3300.

Nov 11, 2003 at 12:43 AM Post #6 of 35
Quote:

Originally posted by elnero
Sad to say, it's not tubes based.

Yep you are right.....

"Single-ended design has long been the Holy Grail of esoteric tube amplifiers. For the first time in hi-fi history, CEC brings single-ended "Class A" output to a solid state device with the CD-3300."

Actually, the fact it is not tubed is a plus for me.

Anyone know how good the DAC is?

Nov 11, 2003 at 12:59 AM Post #7 of 35
For the same price I would look at the new Cambridge Azur 640C as well. I heard it a couple of weekends ago and was really impressed with it. I personally like it better than an Arcam CD72 they had there as well.

Nov 11, 2003 at 2:10 AM Post #8 of 35
Quote:

Originally posted by elnero
For the same price I would look at the new Cambridge Azur 640C as well. I heard it a couple of weekends ago and was really impressed with it. I personally like it better than an Arcam CD72 they had there as well.

Heh.....the Azur and the Arcam have the exact same DAC (Wolfson 8740 I believe)
biggrin.gif

Actually, ALL of the Arcam CD Players use of the exact same DAC - the Wolfson 8740 - but in differing quantities.

The Arcam CD73 has a single 8740 (just like the Cambridge).

The Arcam CD82 has two 8740's.

The Arcam CD93/CD33 has eight 8740's.

Nov 11, 2003 at 2:25 AM Post #10 of 35
The guy at the shop mentioned that the Arcams were using Wolfsons now as well but he thought theirs was an older unit that didn't have it. I'm not sure what it would be though as I'm not that familiar with the Arcam line. If it was the same DAC then there is something much more going on that's different between the them because they were more dissimilar than similar.

Nov 11, 2003 at 3:35 AM Post #11 of 35
Any one know what "single-ended Class A output" means?

I am VERY tempted by the CEC unit, but is the Burr Brown PCM1738 DAC a good DAC?

Nov 11, 2003 at 6:15 AM Post #12 of 35
In the market for a new digital source myself. This one looks like a bargain! I wonder how it performs.

--Chris

Nov 16, 2003 at 9:32 PM Post #13 of 35
single-ended output just means normal, unbalanced RCA jacks. Class A means "kept in a state of perpetual amplification", I.E. even on low-level signals. This is the highest possible consumer of power, and usually the highest fidelity (especially for low-level signals/detail).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back