New Beyerdynamic T1 (2nd Generation)
Nov 6, 2015 at 1:21 PM Post #676 of 3,925
  Is the hd650 really that good? I shall try it thouhg

Hi,

I'm was a convinced HD650 owner since a year and a half. I've been using it on my bottlehead crack+iFi Nano, an amp I've tuned, picking the tubes and heavily modifying almost everything to deliver it's best with the sennheiser, removing most of its veil to obtain something really fulfilling my needs. All in all, the HD650 is very nice with this amp.

Last week, I've found a nice offer on the T1Gen2. Being an high impedance headphone, the T1 is on the shortlist of compatible ones for the crack. So be it.

I'll quote what I said on bottlehead forum with new remarks :
"What an upgrade in terms of transparency and micro-informations : out of the box, this thing reveals so many details I'd never heard before on thought well-known records !
That's clearly the best gift I recently gave to the crack, and it seems I'll soon start to roll my tubes again and be able to re-qualify them with a far better and accurate tool.
Bass are full and tight and not fundamentally different from the senn's, thanks to the crack that drives them properly."
  I'll add after a few listening hours that the bass seem now improved and undoubtly are better rendered compared to the hd650. Strong response and control. Far better than HD650's.

"Voices seem a bit recessed compared to the Senn with perhaps at the higher end some sibilant re-appearing. Beautiful though."
  women voice are really wonderful. The HD650 seemed to zoom on the mi-band. The T1 but some distant on the voice, to the benefit of the balance and my tastes.

"Mids seemed to exhibit less texture on some well known things, but in need to listen again to be sure.
Highs are nice and subtle. That's where the T1 shines the most I think. A range where the HD650 aggregated too many things."
   what a presence of instruments. No veil. Everything is clear and clean with tons of micro-informations.

"All in all, the most pleasant upgrade is on acoustic music. Jazz and classical are natural and so simply obvious, with coherent image, and reflections, pinpointing instruments where they belong on the stage.
This transparency comes with a downside on not too good records whose flaws are now fully exposed....
Another side effect : a panic on unexpected creaking intro of Thriller thanks to MJ !!  Lol
On the wearing point of view, perhaps a light discomfort after a few hours for the larger ears like mine.
In conclusion, very nice headphone and excellent association with the crack I own, no regret on my investment. I think I'll spend more time listening and appreciating jazz than before."
   still the T1 is more comfortable than the HD650 for me.

In conclusion the HD650 was nice and cheap, but it simply cannot compete with the T1. It's like night and day. The presence of every voice, every instrument is now so natural, easy and obvious that my Senn will be on sale soon.

If you have something like a crack for amp, go for the T1Gen2, you won't regret it !

Nov 6, 2015 at 6:04 PM Post #677 of 3,925
I've had HD650 and both generations of T1 and I can say the same - the difference in pure quality, detail retrieval and tilt of the whole sound is indeed like night and day. I put both T1 much above current HD650. In my opinion the oldest variants of HD650 sounded the best from all HD650 variants, but still much below T1 level.

Nov 7, 2015 at 9:15 AM Post #678 of 3,925
I've had HD650 and both generations of T1 and I can say the same - the difference in pure quality, detail retrieval and tilt of the whole sound is indeed like night and day. I put both T1 much above current HD650. In my opinion the oldest variants of HD650 sounded the best from all HD650 variants, but still much below T1 level.

It is more about preferences. A warmer sound somewhat more relaxed and a more analytical retrieval.

Nov 7, 2015 at 2:34 PM Post #680 of 3,925
Yes, it's all about preferences.
Can a $300 headphone sound better than T1 to some? Of course. I come from Ultrasone Pro 2900.
I am very satisfied with T1 G2, except for the price. (Of course it will come down come Christmas.)  T1 is much more balanced than Ultrasone. I haven't tried T1 G1, but the bass is as strong as the Pro 2900 as far as I can tell. The only thing I will miss about Ultrasone is the S-Logic.
But T1 provides a detailed representation and you don't miss a single note. Plus, Ultrasone is too bright and can, and do cause listening fatigue. (By the way, does Ultrasone Edition 12 sound as bad as that guy from inner fidelity says? I don't know. I didn't have a chance to listen to it.)
T1.G2 was a smart purchase on my part. Unfortunately there is no scientific way to describe the sound, all I can say is I am glad that I bought these headphones: Pro 2900 served me a good four years and I believe it will be the case for T1G2. In the end, I spent $1,099 for peace of mind (as to not to wonder if I would be better off buying this or that instead) for  3 -4 years, and that's worth it. 
By the way, I won't be able to wait for the short cable from Beyer. I'll solder this for the time being instead: 

Nov 10, 2015 at 10:09 AM Post #684 of 3,925
Nov 10, 2015 at 10:39 AM Post #685 of 3,925
The holidays are coming. Treat yourself with beautiful sound. 
gs1000.gif

T1 gen 2 are back in stock. Get yours before they're all gone, again. 

http://wooaudio.com/headphones/beyerdynamic/t1.html

Nov 10, 2015 at 11:18 AM Post #686 of 3,925
Nov 10, 2015 at 12:06 PM Post #689 of 3,925
  €99.00 for 1.4m cable! Holy moly! not quite reasonable price dont u think?!

Not what you call cheap but at 1/10th of the headphone price it isn't unreasonable imo.

hmm, I looked at the Balanced Cable, you can get one hand built by a few guys for a little bit less than that, an still get a REALLY nice cable at that 

Nov 10, 2015 at 12:16 PM Post #690 of 3,925
€99.00 for 1.4m cable! Holy moly! not quite reasonable price dont u think?!

Probably the most affordable audiophile grade headphone cable with OCC 7N copper conductors in the market. The material cost is actually higher than with silver(!) plated OFC.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back