New Beyerdynamic T1 (2nd Generation)
Nov 3, 2015 at 4:37 PM Post #661 of 3,925
  I know this is off topic but T1 mk1 ( or mk2) vs Hd650 for classic rock, jazz, classical, and metal. Which pair should i get ? I know the price is day and night different but i just one to hear your opinions. I would like the sound to be a bit warmth and dark with good soundstage and imaging. I tried DT880 and the treble is abit too piercing. What amp should i use to compliment the sound of either of the headphones. I appreciate any help from you guys.

P/S: source is PC (do i really need to invest in a DAC !?)

Thank you K,

If you had a hard time with the DT880, you may want to steer clear of the T1. T1Mk1 has as much or more treble than the DT880 (there seems to be a good bit of production variance, mine had WAY more than the 880). The T1Mk2 is warmer than the Mk1 and the 880. Treble level is probably a little below the 880. Treble becomes very smooth with a higher-end amp (but tightest treble control will come with a $1k+ price tag). It can be quite outstanding, if you invest in helping it sound good.

Best bet for a headphone in the price range that has good soundstage and imaging in the price range and doesn't necessarily need an amp would be the Enigma Acoustics Dharma D-1000. I'd call that one neutral with a slight bit of warmth. Good amp and dac will improve all aspects of the sound, but isn't necessarily necessary to enjoy the headphone.

There's also the Astell & Kern T5p, which is a collaboration with Beyer. It sounded similar to the new T1Mk2 when I heard it, but then again, I heard it on Astell & Kern's $3,800 flagship player, so you may want to take that with a tiny grain of salt. It probably sounds different through your PC. :)

I also think the Westone WA-60 would get you there, sound-wise, if you are open to an IEM.

All your other options (excluding IEMs) will include an amp. And unless your PC has a TOTL sound card that you didn't mention, you'll probably want a DAC too to optimize your sound level for your investment. A good DAC and amp can do quite a lot for your soundstage and imaging needs. Of course, YMMV.

Nov 3, 2015 at 4:46 PM Post #662 of 3,925

If you had a hard time with the DT880, you may want to steer clear of the T1. T1Mk1 has as much or more treble than the DT880 (there seems to be a good bit of production variance, mine had WAY more than the 880). The T1Mk2 is warmer than the Mk1 and the 880. Treble level is probably a little below the 880. Treble becomes very smooth with a higher-end amp (but tightest treble control will come with a $1k+ price tag). It can be quite outstanding, if you invest in helping it sound good.

Best bet for a headphone in the price range that has good soundstage and imaging in the price range and doesn't necessarily need an amp would be the Enigma Acoustics Dharma D-1000. I'd call that one neutral with a slight bit of warmth. Good amp and dac will improve all aspects of the sound, but isn't necessarily necessary to enjoy the headphone.

There's also the Astell & Kern T5p, which is a collaboration with Beyer. It sounded similar to the new T1Mk2 when I heard it, but then again, I heard it on Astell & Kern's $3,800 flagship player, so you may want to take that with a tiny grain of salt. It probably sounds different through your PC. :)

I also think the Westone WA-60 would get you there, sound-wise, if you are open to an IEM.

All your other options (excluding IEMs) will include an amp. And unless your PC has a TOTL sound card that you didn't mention, you'll probably want a DAC too to optimize your sound level for your investment. A good DAC and amp can do quite a lot for your soundstage and imaging needs. Of course, YMMV.

I'm not sure if I read this correctly. Are you proposing he should still be looking for a headphone in Beyerdynamics lineup when he said:
"I would like the sound to be a bit warmth and dark..." ?

Nov 3, 2015 at 4:51 PM Post #663 of 3,925

Thank for your reply. I shall check out the headphone you mention. In your opinion, can the Enigma keep up with the pace of heavy metal ? the AK is out of my budget tange :wink:. I will definitely buy dac and amp for whatever cans i get.

Nov 3, 2015 at 4:54 PM Post #664 of 3,925

If you're looking for a headphone with warmth you're in the wrong place buddy LOL. Beyerdynamic is in the oposite direction. Most here will probably disagree but I think the HD650 is a better headphone compared to both T1 and the new T1.2. Especially if you take price into consideration. It's probably best if you create a thread here: http://www.head-fi.org/f/7840/introductions-help-and-recommendations

And then give some information about what exactly you're looking for. Budget is also a good thing to mention. 

Is the hd650 really that good? I shall try it thouhg

Nov 3, 2015 at 5:38 PM Post #665 of 3,925

I'm not sure if I read this correctly. Are you proposing he should still be looking for a headphone in Beyerdynamics lineup when he said:
"I would like the sound to be a bit warmth and dark..." ?

I only meant if he's hell-bent on a Beyer... which some people are. It's still a Beyer, but it's 32 ohms and warmer than the 880. Not exactly an Audeze though.

Overall, his proposition is a somewhat difficult one. A spacious, easy-to-drive headphone with a warm signature. Getting 2 out of the 3 is pretty doable. Getting 3 out of 3 is pretty rough. It doesn't leave you with many options. If he's open to IEMs, that's really the best bet for hitting all 3 marks.

If he's open to more amp & dac options, then there are lots of options.

Nov 3, 2015 at 5:44 PM Post #666 of 3,925

I only meant if he's hell-bent on a Beyer... which some people are. It's still a Beyer, but it's 32 ohms and warmer than the 880. Not exactly an Audeze though.

Overall, his proposition is a somewhat difficult one. A spacious, easy-to-drive headphone with a warm signature. Getting 2 out of the 3 is pretty doable. Getting 3 out of 3 is pretty rough. It doesn't leave you with many options. If he's open to IEMs, that's really the best bet for hitting all 3 marks.

If he's open to more amp & dac options, then there are lots of options.

I understand, I was once like that but it was a huge mistake. I'd hate to see him make the same mistake as me. If he seeks a headphone with warmth he should be looking for a headphone with warmth and not a bright headphone using a tube to alter the sound. That's just my opinion of course. 

Nov 3, 2015 at 6:00 PM Post #667 of 3,925

I understand, I was once like that but it was a huge mistake. I'd hate to see him make the same mistake as me. If he seeks a headphone with warmth he should be looking for a headphone with warmth and not a bright headphone using a tube to alter the sound. That's just my opinion of course. 

Same here. Actually, depending on budget, dude could also wait for the HiFiMan Edition X. That checks all the boxes. It will set you back $1,799. But it checks all the boxes.

Nov 4, 2015 at 11:33 AM Post #668 of 3,925

Thank for your reply. I shall check out the headphone you mention. In your opinion, can the Enigma keep up with the pace of heavy metal ? the AK is out of my budget tange :wink:. I will definitely buy dac and amp for whatever cans i get.

Definitely. I pushed it with lots of fast progressive metal and tech death, and it performed well. If you're buying a headphone for metal, I'd recommend you join me over in this thread: http://www.head-fi.org/t/715478/headphones-for-metal-music-ultimate-solution

There, we can help you drill down to a more solid recommendation for you favorite metal genres and artists. 

Nov 4, 2015 at 7:07 PM Post #669 of 3,925
Anyone else thinks that the cable is too long? I'm thinking of cutting it in half and have a new jack (by a professional) soldered. 
Any after market short cables? What  do you think?

Nov 4, 2015 at 7:11 PM Post #670 of 3,925
No, a 3m cable is standard for headphones made for home and studio use. ...I hope you're not out walking the streets/riding the bus with these?!?!
I believe Beyer announced a shorter cable coming soon though.

Nov 4, 2015 at 7:18 PM Post #671 of 3,925
  No, a 3m cable is standard for headphones made for home and studio use. ...I hope you're not out walking the streets/riding the bus with these?!?!
I believe Beyer announced a shorter cable coming soon though.

Well that's good news I'll wait for the short cable then. I'm not walking the streets with T1 on my head 
biggrin.gif
  But it gets a bit messy when my headphone amp is just within my reach on the couch or my desktop  most of the times. 

Nov 5, 2015 at 1:57 AM Post #672 of 3,925
Originally Posted by The Walrus /img/forum/go_quote.gif

But it gets a bit messy when my headphone amp is just within my reach on the couch or my desktop  most of the times. 

You could look for a small cable winder. The T1 I auditioned came with one. If you want I can try and find out the details.

Nov 5, 2015 at 12:52 PM Post #673 of 3,925

You could look for a small cable winder. The T1 I auditioned came with one. If you want I can try and find out the details.

Many thanks, I didn't think there would be such a winder. Can I find it on eBay?

Nov 5, 2015 at 4:01 PM Post #675 of 3,925
Many thanks, I didn't think there would be such a winder. Can I find it on eBay?

I was called upon :wink:

You'll find it here

http://cablenizer.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=33&product_id=53&sort=p.sort_order&order=ASC&limit=1

I had the same issue with the long and messy cable so on my request and T1's stock cable specs during his crowdfunding campaign Flemming Christensen altered his original design to an XL version for the T1 to fit this winder. Happy user since. It's quite sturdy, T1's jack is a tight fit through the Cablenizer XL's hole.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back