New Audio Technica Woodies: ATH-W1000Z announced
Oct 18, 2014 at 10:06 PM Post #31 of 259
  W1000Z has a new recalibrated driver and a better quality headphones cable so they are bound to sound better than W1000X. I predict the bass will be more firm and also slightly more impactful compared  to the bass of W1000X. The better cable and thus better audio signal going through this cable should also improve the soundfield / soundstage and resolution and imaging. The difference will not be dramatic but it will be heard. 
The wood of the earcups is Teak which is a 'luxury wood', the felling of teak trees is generally forbidden, except some places with sustainable forestry management.

I posted more photos of W1000Z - http://www.head-fi.org/t/738762/new-a-t-headphones-and-portable-amps-ckr9-ltd-msr7-dn1000-usb-esw9-ltd-w1000z-pha100

Yea but my W1000x is recabled, so there's that for one

The differances to me are going to be in the Pads and how the driver it self is tuned. "warm" is not a welcome translation imo, as the W1000x was indeed WAY to loose in the bottom end, hence is why I modded mine, to tighten up that bottom end 

Oct 18, 2014 at 11:19 PM Post #33 of 259
  Must not buy this. Must not buy this. Must not buy this. Must not buy this. Must not buy this. Must not buy this. Damn. 

Ahh the mantra of every audiophile every were! The more we chant, the faster our wallets fly away lol 

Oct 18, 2014 at 11:24 PM Post #34 of 259
  Must not buy this. Must not buy this. Must not buy this. Must not buy this. Must not buy this. Must not buy this. Damn. 

050104_s.jpg

Oct 18, 2014 at 11:47 PM Post #38 of 259

Hrml.... out of all the woodies I've owned, I gotta admit, the original W1000 and W2002 aren't my favorites.  But they have a distinctive approach, and if you like that approach, I can see someone really really loving them. 

Have you ever listened to the L3000?  I've always felt the L3000 took what I liked about the W11JPN and that approach (of which the W10VTG is the predecessor) and combined it with the strengths of the more modern cans, W1000, W2002 and W5000.

Best,

-Jason

Well, to be honest, the stock W1000 didn't always work for me.

It worked spectacularly well for certain things, like those guitar solos by Sungha Jung, but outside of that, it's a mixed bag. It would even go as far as presenting some songs great, while others very mediocre in the same album.

To be fair, I think it should be said that what I heard in the W1000 when I initially heard it was not "great sound", but rather the "potential" for great sound. Its treble range was right up my alley, save for a bit of abrasiveness that I thought I could tame. I heard what could be a great mod.

And it turned out to be a great mod in my opinions, but it was becoming apparent that I would eventually gravitate more toward headphones with more technical prowess, and I knew the W1000 would get less head time, so I ultimately let it go.

I haven't heard the L3000 to be honest, and I hope I would have the chance one of these days, just so I can form a complete picture of how good a headphone can possibly sound. And from reading impressions on it, I think it would match my taste quite well.

Oct 18, 2014 at 11:52 PM Post #39 of 259

I haven't heard the L3000 to be honest, and I hope I would have the chance one of these days, just so I can form a complete picture of how good a headphone can possibly sound. And from reading impressions on it, I think it would match my taste quite well.

... if I were to win the lottery I think the Sony MDR R10 [both verisions] and a Audio Technica L3000 would be the very first thing I'd buy :x 

Oct 18, 2014 at 11:55 PM Post #40 of 259
  ... if I were to win the lottery I think the Sony MDR R10 [both verisions] and a Audio Technica L3000 would be the very first thing I'd buy :x 

I'd buy the SR-007A, get the Cavalli Liquid Lightning, grab the Berkeley Audio Design Alpha (BADA) and call it a day. 
beerchug.gif

Oct 19, 2014 at 12:03 AM Post #41 of 259

I'd buy the SR-007A, get the Cavalli Liquid Lightning, grab the Berkeley Audio Design Alpha (BADA) and call it a day. 
beerchug.gif

Good idea, though I'd have to go with some wood backs meng... get my feti... I mean uhh... get some good listening in ;3

that said, my plan for the Spring [or how I'll waste my Tax Return this year] is to grab a MDR Z7 and W1000Z and see which I like more. Heck Curr just posted an impression of the MDR Z7 with a PAD MOD :O lol so that's cool 

Oct 19, 2014 at 12:05 AM Post #42 of 259
  You know guys I think I might start walking to work... 

I'll give you a good idea how to get these headphones for free. Reduce, or even eliminate, the so called impulse buying. That means do not spend money on a whim. If you eliminate buying sugary 'pop' drinks like sodas or chemical-sugary poisonous brews which actually harm your body, you can save, by a conservative estimate, a dollar fifty a day, ten dollars fifty a week - 545 dollars a year. Cut on buying hot dogs [ http://www.businessinsider.com/how-hot-dogs-are-made-photos-2013-7?op=1 ] which are made from disgusting animal parts, this would save you at least 50 dollars a year. Cut on buying ice-cream or some unneeded snacks . Get yourself a thermo, mixing water and frozen orange juice will make you stop wasting money on cancerous sugary pop drinks. [ 1 - http://preventcancer.aicr.org/site/PageServer?pagename=recommendations_03_sugary_drinks  2 - http://www.webmd.com/cancer/pancreatic-cancer/news/20100208/pancreatic-cancer-linked-sodas ] Or make yourself a full thermo of good tea in the morning and take it with you. Learn to make yourself a sandwich, this way you will save money by not buying junky fast food. You can save over a 1000 dollars a year this way.
I used to spend some 60 dollars a month on restaurants. For over a year and a half I did not go to them and I made some 1200 dollars. The way it worked out I got my Beyerdynamic T1 and the Continental portable amplifier for free. Anybody can do this. Good luck !

Oct 19, 2014 at 12:12 AM Post #43 of 259
  I'll give you a good idea how to get these headphones for free. Reduce, or even eliminate, the so called impulse buying. That means do not spend money on a whim. If you eliminate buying sugary 'pop' drinks like sodas or chemical-sugary poisonous brews which actually harm your body, you can save, by a conservative estimate, a dollar fifty a day, ten dollars fifty a week - 545 dollars a year. Cut on buying hot dogs [ http://www.businessinsider.com/how-hot-dogs-are-made-photos-2013-7?op=1 ] which are made from disgusting animal parts, this would save you at least 50 dollars a year. Cut on buying ice-cream or some unneeded snacks . Get yourself a thermo, mixing water and frozen orange juice will make you stop wasting money on cancerous sugary pop drinks. Or make yourself a full thermo of good tea in the morning and take it with you. Learn to make yourself a sandwich, this way you will save money by not buying junky fast food. You can save over a 1000 dollars a year this way.
I used to spend some 60 dollars a month on restaurants. For a year and a half I did not go to them and I made some 1200 dollars. The way it worked out I got my Beyerdynamic T1 and the Continental portable amplifier for free. Anybody can do this. Good luck !

PFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF

Homie, I drink water 24/7, I think soda is nasty

Yea Ice Cream, and snack food... home SLICE I eat INSTANT RAMEN all day ERRY Day [seriously im kinda broke] An Sandwhiches HOME SLICE I LOVE me a sand which [it's what I eat at work] !  and Reusturants ARE BLASPHAMEY,
Seriously though, that's good advice, I've just kinda been living by it for 3 years now :/ and I'm kinda gettin old of being broke <.< I really need a new job... I'm vastly under paid at my current one! But that's what college is for, get a degree, meet some good contacts and get RICH [not really, it's work hard, net work and open doors for your self] 

But yea, what Zorin said is very true! Also... hold on the bass just dropped... I'll get back to you guys 

Oct 19, 2014 at 12:22 AM Post #44 of 259
The ath-L3000 lacks the mid-range magic of the w11jpn/w10vtg/w1000.  I think you'll be disappointed with the L3000's mids if that's what you're looking for.  I find the tone of the L3000 is almost as strange as the W5000.  What the L3000 can offer are thundering, rumbling, & impactful bass.  In my opinion, the bass just overpowers the mids and highs.  The heavy bass has too much of a focus on the music.  The ATH with the cleanest and clearest highs belong to the W3000anv.

Oct 19, 2014 at 1:32 AM Post #45 of 259
  Good idea, though I'd have to go with some wood backs meng... get my feti... I mean uhh... get some good listening in ;3

that said, my plan for the Spring [or how I'll waste my Tax Return this year] is to grab a MDR Z7 and W1000Z and see which I like more. Heck Curr just posted an impression of the MDR Z7 with a PAD MOD :O lol so that's cool 

Well, the best wood back and also portable headphone title goes to my uber-modded ATH-ES10 IMO.

It doesn't even sound anything like the stock headphone. It sounds like a completely different headphone.

One of these days, if you would like to give it a listen, I can lend it to you for a while. I'm sure the HE-560 and Z7 would hold me over during that period anyway.

I've gotta warn you though... just today, one of the students I know in college gave it a go, and he was able to hear the difference between the headphone output of a 2011 MacBook vs a 2012 MacBook with a death metal song on Youtube. So... it is kinda revealing of the source material.

But then that's just the whole point. Audio Technica's drivers are good. Very very good. They just haven't toned them toward technicality yet.

The ath-L3000 lacks the mid-range magic of the w11jpn/w10vtg/w1000.  I think you'll be disappointed with the L3000's mids if that's what you're looking for.  I find the tone of the L3000 is almost as strange as the W5000.  What the L3000 can offer are thundering, rumbling, & impactful bass.  In my opinion, the bass just overpowers the mids and highs.  The heavy bass has too much of a focus on the music.  The ATH with the cleanest and clearest highs belong to the W3000anv.

Hm... I have heard the W3000ANV on many occasions, and while I think it is quite a good and euphoric headphone, it is also kind of piercing in the upper midrange/lower treble region for me. That's why I don't have one.

But I know the last time someone heard my W1000 compared to his stock W1000 and his W3000ANV, he kinda preferred mine.

In fact, he offered to help me set up a headphone-modding business, and I'm still considering it. Haha...

Not to sound conceited, of course, but I do think there are improvements that can be done to Audio Technica's lower-end headphones... and the W1000 and W1000X are just perfect examples of that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back