New Audio Technica Woodies: ATH-W1000Z announced
Oct 17, 2014 at 12:02 AM Post #16 of 259
The original W1000... if not for its bass deficiency, would have been one of the best dynamic headphones... period, IMO.

Its soundstage is comparable to the HD800, which is quite a feat. In fact, I flat out preferred mine when I had the chance to directly compare it to the HD800 with the Zana Deux, so if that's not an indication...

The reason why the HD800 is so hugely popular is because:

1) It's Made In Germany, and I think we all know that "German Engineering" term...
2) It's Sennheiser's flagship amist all of the HD600/HD650 fame, and right around the time people were wishing for a dynamic version of the HE90.
3) It is actually competent at all frequencies while maintaining that massive soundstage.

And the reason why the W1000 wasn't at all that popular is because:

1) Audio Technica targeted mostly the midrange-centric crowd with their headphones back at the time, so those who were looking for technical proficiency wouldn't even bat an eye at the headphone.
2) It's a middle of the road headphone that wasn't at all expensive, so there was lack of a "high-end" proposition.
3) Even amongst the Audio Technica crowd, it was far too close to neutral for their liking
4) Its bass is weaksauce. As in... there is practically nothing down there. So it had a massive soundstage but with no "presence" or "body" for a full holographic projection.

Needless to say, I loved my W1000 to death. Even more so than the W1000X. If I had not heard the HE-560, it would have been my end-game.

Now the HE-560 may be my end-game, but I'll still keep an eye out for this W1000... if the Z7 doesn't meet my target of a closed-back full-size for a transportable setup.

Oct 17, 2014 at 12:32 AM Post #17 of 259
  The original W1000... if not for its bass deficiency, would have been one of the best dynamic headphones... period, IMO.

Its soundstage is comparable to the HD800, which is quite a feat. In fact, I flat out preferred mine when I had the chance to directly compare it to the HD800 with the Zana Deux, so if that's not an indication...

The reason why the HD800 is so hugely popular is because:

1) It's Made In Germany, and I think we all know that "German Engineering" term...
2) It's Sennheiser's flagship amist all of the HD600/HD650 fame, and right around the time people were wishing for a dynamic version of the HE90.
3) It is actually competent at all frequencies while maintaining that massive soundstage.

And the reason why the W1000 wasn't at all that popular is because:

1) Audio Technica targeted mostly the midrange-centric crowd with their headphones back at the time, so those who were looking for technical proficiency wouldn't even bat an eye at the headphone.
2) It's a middle of the road headphone that wasn't at all expensive, so there was lack of a "high-end" proposition.
3) Even amongst the Audio Technica crowd, it was far too close to neutral for their liking
4) Its bass is weaksauce. As in... there is practically nothing down there. So it had a massive soundstage but with no "presence" or "body" for a full holographic projection.

Needless to say, I loved my W1000 to death. Even more so than the W1000X. If I had not heard the HE-560, it would have been my end-game.

Now the HE-560 may be my end-game, but I'll still keep an eye out for this W1000... if the Z7 doesn't meet my target of a closed-back full-size for a transportable setup.

n that's a shame to hear the bass was no me gusta, still wish I could have gotten a chance to hear the bass modded W1000 you had <.< as much as I love open backs I cant use them on the go so I'm always in the market for a nice closed back! 

Oct 17, 2014 at 1:20 AM Post #18 of 259
Well, it did end up having more bass, but the extension is still not good enough for most of my music to sound coherent.

The cut-off at the bottom end is very apparently a limitation of the drivers.

I'm waiting for Audio Technica to come out with a headphone that uses the same drivers as my ATH-ES10, but with a more neutral tuning, and better ear pads.

Of all of the headphones I have owned, it's still the most versatile, needing no amping or special source to sound good, having a sound that's polite enough to tame any bad recording, and yet still with enough excitement to go along with EDM.

Oct 17, 2014 at 9:00 AM Post #21 of 259
  Official MSPR for these are 65000 yen, which is cheaper than old W1000X

65,000 yen comes out to like $600 usd... which is more than a fully modded W1000X atm, though my concern with headphones atm is pricing. We have the MDR Z7 at around the same price, and how well will the ATH compare to it? It seems a touch over priced imo, or maybe it's going to sound even better than the last verision did! It's got the new pads which is nice. 

Though another $500 ish can is the Ultrasone Pro 900 which was like $299 back in the day, and I think it ought to have stayed at that price, at it's current $499 price I think the Pro 900 is even more of a joke

Lets hope though the W1000Z can compete with it's rivals up there in it's price bracket. That or PriceJapan does a super sweet deal on them, like they did the MDR Z7 

Oct 17, 2014 at 10:10 AM Post #22 of 259
65,000 yen comes out to like $600 usd... which is more than a fully modded W1000X atm, though my concern with headphones atm is pricing. We have the MDR Z7 at around the same price, and how well will the ATH compare to it? It seems a touch over priced imo, or maybe it's going to sound even better than the last verision did! It's got the new pads which is nice. 

Though another $500 ish can is the Ultrasone Pro 900 which was like $299 back in the day, and I think it ought to have stayed at that price, at it's current $499 price I think the Pro 900 is even more of a joke

Lets hope though the W1000Z can compete with it's rivals up there in it's price bracket. That or PriceJapan does a super sweet deal on them, like they did the MDR Z7 

W1000X MSPR is 68000 yen.

Oct 17, 2014 at 2:13 PM Post #24 of 259

Nice to see there's still some appreciation of the W1000. FOM here for such a short time.
I've held onto mine along with the Yamamoto amp and they're still a nice sounding combo. As a stand alone headphone I still prefer the W1000X more, probably because of the better bass.
Depending on the reviews I could be interested in the new version. Wasn't a big fan of the W5000 although I hung onto a pair many years.

Oct 17, 2014 at 11:04 PM Post #25 of 259

http://www.audio-technica.co.jp/atj/show_model.php?modelId=2649

Note: By Google Translate

W series of proficiency that enjoy the sense of unity, such as wearing the sound. 
Tone, warm with a bang by Wood housing of natural teak.

1. Wood housing * 1 carved solid natural teak is the three major precious wood world.
  2. Equipped depict faithfully the high-resolution sound source, an integrated yoke φ53mm driver dedicated design.
  3. Super high-class OFC-7N voice coil bobbin winding * 2 depict until delicate expression.
  4. Reproduce * 3 a relaxed bass by DADS (Double Air Damping System) mechanism.
  5. Floating mount system, which bring out the sound of the original wood suppress unwanted vibration of the unit itself in the baffle and frame subjected to a lightweight design and high rigidity of the magnesium alloy body.
  6. 3D wing support system of our own comfortable fit still persists for a long time.
  7. Code specification of (4-wire) structure independent left and right ground wire out of the left and right both thorough pursuit of sound quality.
  8. 3.0m input code of OFC-6N + OFC conductor and highly elastic elastomer sheath difficult tangle.
  9. Wooden sleeve adopted φ6.3mm gold-plated stereo plug standard optimized for sound quality.

* 1 natural teak: Adopt teak high density, which is used as part of a musical instrument such as a guitar or bass, it has been aged. Of unique natural wood, wood grain different one by one tone and rich bass thick you can enjoy. (Characteristics of teak, you may grain such as black lines in the housing enters.) 
* 2 OFC7N: oxygen-free copper of 99.999997% purity 
increase the damping effect of the air in the housing of * 3 double structure, the bass I will improve growth.

ModelSealed dynamic type
Driverφ53mm, OFC-7N voice coil
HousingNatural teak solid wood
Output sound pressure level101dB / mW
Play frequency band5 ~ 42,000Hz
Maximum input2,000mW
Impedance43Ω
I mass (excluding code)About 320g
Plugφ6.3mm gold-plated stereo standard
Code3.0m (TPE / OFC-6N + OFC)

Optional: Replace sleeves HP-W1000Z

Model numberJAN codeCase input number 
(our suppliers for)
Package SizeRelease Date
ATH-W1000Z496131012932310PCS.H292 × W212 × D123mmNovember 21, 2014

Note: Price to be determined

I am worried though, that these will have a simmilar sound to the Un Modded W1000X, it'll be nice to see how the impressions go, I might seriously guy this stupid freaking headphone :/ I 100% don't need it though, but dmnit all it looks pretty good... 100% no me gustah... might wait till Spring or I dunno maybe take the plunge and grab it off Price Japan for cheap... no me gustah, no me gustah 

still I might have to get these, take em apart and mod em... warm tone and relaxed bass screams W1000X, a little dynamat in the deepest parts of the cups did wonders to really clean up the sound and give the headphone some wonderful tactility and clarity 

Oct 17, 2014 at 11:39 PM Post #26 of 259
Going beyond dynamat gives you more than just clarity.

That's how I mod my ES10.

Audio Technica's stock dampening is very utilitarian, likely to drive costs down in order to rake in more profits.

Meanwhile, something like the Mr. Speaker's Alpha Dog is meticulously tuned, so that's why it sounds so good.

Oct 17, 2014 at 11:56 PM Post #27 of 259
  Going beyond dynamat gives you more than just clarity.

That's how I mod my ES10.

Audio Technica's stock dampening is very utilitarian, likely to drive costs down in order to rake in more profits.

Meanwhile, something like the Mr. Speaker's Alpha Dog is meticulously tuned, so that's why it sounds so good.

Exactly, and I don't have the time to reaserach it like you do or you have , I might just buy one and ship it to you <.< 

But yea Dynamat just cleans up resonnances, the one thing about my W1000X I'd like to improve is it's sound stage and I'm thinking maybe the new Pads and new Can have that improved sound stage 

of which a little Dynamat might just clean up nicely 

The next thing I mention is the DXK series, of which a good bit of resonnance resistance was used, though ofc Mark used a couple of different  things, and ofc has been trying new woods and mats so... yea... stupid W1000Z maybe I should just shut up an get an MDR Z7 ahh but oh wait no wood...  <.< DAT WOOOOOD ME GUSTAH 

but yea... I might just get a MDR Z7 and W1000Z and slap em into the Pb2 SE out and see which I like more <.< then go from there... the spring is going to be  a fun time 

Btw when Audio Technica says you can shove 2,000 mW they mean it q.q, had my W1000x hooked up balanced out of my NFB10ES2 on high gain at like 50% power... yea it was loud as schiit thankfully I could actually listen at that level for like 45 seconds before I got to be to much for me... but uhh yea... I won't be doing that again... sadly my HE 4 and W1000x have the same Termiantion but COMPLETELY opposite power requirements 

Oct 18, 2014 at 11:22 AM Post #28 of 259
  I am worried though, that these will have a simmilar sound to the Un Modded W1000X, it'll be nice to see how the impressions go, I might seriously guy this stupid freaking headphone :/ I 100% don't need it though, but dmnit all it looks pretty good... 100% no me gustah... might wait till Spring or I dunno maybe take the plunge and grab it off Price Japan for cheap... no me gustah, no me gustah 

still I might have to get these, take em apart and mod em... warm tone and relaxed bass screams W1000X, a little dynamat in the deepest parts of the cups did wonders to really clean up the sound and give the headphone some wonderful tactility and clarity 

W1000Z has a new recalibrated driver and a better quality headphones cable so they are bound to sound better than W1000X. I predict the bass will be more firm and also slightly more impactful compared  to the bass of W1000X. The better cable and thus better audio signal going through this cable should also improve the soundfield / soundstage and resolution and imaging. The difference will not be dramatic but it will be heard. 
The wood of the earcups is Teak which is a 'luxury wood', the felling of teak trees is generally forbidden, except some places with sustainable forestry management.

I posted more photos of W1000Z - http://www.head-fi.org/t/738762/new-a-t-headphones-and-portable-amps-ckr9-ltd-msr7-dn1000-usb-esw9-ltd-w1000z-pha100

Oct 18, 2014 at 11:43 AM Post #29 of 259
A W1000 that actually sounds close to the original W1000 would be welcomed. I really dislike how the W1000X sounded far too loose in the low end.

Oct 18, 2014 at 1:13 PM Post #30 of 259

Hrml.... out of all the woodies I've owned, I gotta admit, the original W1000 and W2002 aren't my favorites.  But they have a distinctive approach, and if you like that approach, I can see someone really really loving them. 

Have you ever listened to the L3000?  I've always felt the L3000 took what I liked about the W11JPN and that approach (of which the W10VTG is the predecessor) and combined it with the strengths of the more modern cans, W1000, W2002 and W5000.

Best,

-Jason

Users who are viewing this thread

Back