New Audio Technica ATH-M50x with Removable Cable
Feb 2, 2014 at 10:20 AM Post #46 of 958

An authorized Audio Technica reseller is offering me the LEs for the same price as the black ones. $170 USD. If i wait for the original black ones, I won't receive them until the 17th-20th of February. If I decide to go for the Blue LE (for the same price), I should receive it within a week from now.

Which one would you go for in this case?
Is the sound significantly different between the two?

Cheers.

hhmmm.....very hard to tell as we don't really have the same ears. imho, since i've listened to both, i would still stick with the standard one. they sounded a bit smoother in the mids versus the LEs. but, YMMV, if you could audition them first, the better

Feb 2, 2014 at 12:08 PM Post #47 of 958
I'm excited for these! I've been on the fence for the M50s as I've been wanting closed cans with a detachable cable for mic use. The M50s have a huge following and come highly recommended for everyone's first step into the audiophile world. Does anyone have thoughts on the the originals vs the detachable?

Feb 2, 2014 at 12:23 PM Post #48 of 958
the detachable cable is what pushed me to purchase one. i too was contemplating on purchasing the m50s for more than a year - the detachable cable could potentially "tweak" the sound of the m50s. as for the sound signature - to my ears, they are the same.

Feb 3, 2014 at 12:21 AM Post #49 of 958
Man, you're so lucky karloil to have got these early. This will be my first set of M50's. I've held off for a year or two and I'm extremely excited to get them. Could you post more photos of them out of the box?

Feb 3, 2014 at 3:59 AM Post #50 of 958

An authorized Audio Technica reseller is offering me the LEs for the same price as the black ones. $170 USD. If i wait for the original black ones, I won't receive them until the 17th-20th of February. If I decide to go for the Blue LE (for the same price), I should receive it within a week from now.

Which one would you go for in this case?
Is the sound significantly different between the two?

Cheers.

hhmmm.....very hard to tell as we don't really have the same ears. imho, since i've listened to both, i would still stick with the standard one. they sounded a bit smoother in the mids versus the LEs. but, YMMV, if you could audition them first, the better

What would you say about the bass on the LEs compared to the ones you got? Are they similar?

Feb 3, 2014 at 7:09 PM Post #51 of 958
  Man, you're so lucky karloil to have got these early. This will be my first set of M50's. I've held off for a year or two and I'm extremely excited to get them. Could you post more photos of them out of the box?

we're on the same boat! held off for more than a year since i still have the dt1350 and sr225i back then. these cans totally made my day as it saved me money and can totally justify the price for home use. (versus to my planned hd25 1-II purchase). i really haven't had the chance to get more pictures but so far, here's what i have - just a different angle: 

closer picture of the cable to headphone connection:

and the proprietary connector (bottom) as compared to the standard 3.5mm male connector (top):

i think the proprietary is a sub-mini 2.5mm male connector. i'm already sourcing the plugs so that i can start creating cables
wink_face.gif

What would you say about the bass on the LEs compared to the ones you got? Are they similar?

i really didn't get the chance to listen to the bass on the LEs. i was listening to the mids and treble and totally forgot about them
confused_face.gif

Feb 4, 2014 at 7:07 PM Post #52 of 958
I did it...I went for the limited edition blue....I hope its worth it!

I have had beats (never again) then urban ears (meh) and after much research I am settling on the ATH-M50x...now could anybody tell me how to properly "burn" these guys?

Feb 4, 2014 at 7:22 PM Post #53 of 958
now could anybody tell me how to properly "burn" these guys?

oopppssss....don't want to get into a lengthy discussion about burn-ins but i for one also believe in this as I've heard the difference with some of my old IEMs.

i use an app called Burninwave Generator, starting from low volume, then working my way up to mid-high volumes.

Feb 4, 2014 at 8:32 PM Post #54 of 958
Let music of all genres go through them slightly above a med volume for 40 hours, and you should be good

Feb 5, 2014 at 12:51 AM Post #57 of 958
Like many the M50 was my first pair of audiophile grade headphones. I soon went to better headphones, and gave my pair away to a friend, but I kinda regret it since I would like to use it as a reference point to how far I've progressed. I definitely am interested in the M50x now.

Feb 5, 2014 at 12:16 PM Post #58 of 958
the pre orders are selling like hotcakes on amazon….cant wait for the brown and blue…..Just need to sell my red ones now

Feb 5, 2014 at 2:26 PM Post #59 of 958
I did it...I went for the limited edition blue....I hope its worth it!

now could anybody tell me how to properly "burn" these guys?

Nice!

The best way to burn in headphones is to just listen to them with whatever music you like. :)

When I got my M50's I just listened to music with them (like I normally would) and I slowly started noticing the headphones were improving (slightly).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back