New Audio Technica ATH-M50x with Removable Cable
Jan 26, 2014 at 9:04 PM Post #31 of 958
Im pretty sure they will sound the same. As much as i would like to get these, i think im going to wait until later this year on blk friday....the regular M50s were on sale for 100 bucks this past Blk Friday, So im pretty sure these new M50x will be cheap as well later this year...maybe 120

Jan 28, 2014 at 11:05 AM Post #32 of 958
An M50 with a detachable (non-coiled) cable sounds like a terrific deal. I'm sure many portable headphone users may consider getting one now - the portability (and appeal) factor has just increased.

It's a good thing my M50 is used mainly at home, or I'll be sorely tempted to get one.

Jan 28, 2014 at 8:00 PM Post #35 of 958
Man, just found out about these, and I want them...even though my M50's are only a couple years old and do fit like a glove.  Maybe I'll just buy the "upgraded ear pads."(some rep said they were new pad material in some youtube NAMM coverage)  I do wish they had left the original design of the 3.5mm termination, I think the full metal casing looks so sexy compared to rubber(or whatever it is) and that generic looking 6.3mm adapter.

Feb 1, 2014 at 8:38 AM Post #36 of 958
sold my dt1350 and sr225i due to minimal use, then i realized that i need cans for home use - just got this today!
tongue.gif

Feb 1, 2014 at 8:45 AM Post #37 of 958
Wow those are really nice looking. is that a leather bag/case? And how is the sound compared to the old M50?...I so want this for portable use but i might wait till later this year on BLk Fridays, since i jist dumped $380 on a pair of MA900 and X1 together....my wallet is hurt for now l, needs time to heal before I buy another pair lol

Feb 1, 2014 at 9:06 AM Post #38 of 958
i did a comparison with the shop's old m50 versus to the new set of m50x that they have and here are some of my impressions:

- the fit on the m50x seems to be a lot better, more snug fit and clamping force is just right
- was surprised how punchy the bass is on the m50x
- detachable cable is really a plus - i make my own cables and that's an area of opportunity to "tweak" it's sound. however, the connector to the cups is proprietary - may need to find suppliers first
- yes, it comes with a leather case - and 3 cables!
- to my ears, both the m50 and m50x sounds the same - but the store clerk keeps on mentioning that the m50x isn't fully burnt in yet.

i was eyeing the m50 for more than a year now, was only held back because i find the mids to be a bit recessed. but i still jumped the gun on the m50x the moment i heard/saw them. i was suppose to get the hd25s - good thing the store already carried the m50xs - they saved me a lot of money today!
bigsmile_face.gif

Feb 1, 2014 at 7:08 PM Post #42 of 958

How were you able to get your hands on these babies as early as February 1st? And what do you think of the blue/tan color on the m50x?

the local store has them in stock for almost a week now! and it says on the local ATH website that release date for my country is Feb 1. - I guess they are well eager to rack sales for this baby. They are on an introductory sale price too! that helped me decide to get m50xs
tongue.gif

i did listen too the m50x LEs. imho, i really don't like the color. plus i want to change the pads in the future - the black pads would really mess up the color scheme. the LEs to me is a bit bright to my ears. which for me would really sound fatiguing to listen to in extended hours. plus they cost a bit more than the standard black/white ones - so i just went for the standard color which saved me money and i'm sure would give me more awesome listening time
wink_face.gif

Feb 1, 2014 at 7:18 PM Post #43 of 958

the local store has them in stock for almost a week now! and it says on the local ATH website that release date for my country is Feb 1. - I guess they are well eager to rack sales for this baby. They are on an introductory sale price too! that helped me decide to get m50xs
tongue.gif

i did listen too the m50x LEs. imho, i really don't like the color. plus i want to change the pads in the future - the black pads would really mess up the color scheme. the LEs to me is a bit bright to my ears. which for me would really sound fatiguing to listen to in extended hours. plus they cost a bit more than the standard black/white ones - so i just went for the standard color which saved me money and i'm sure would give me more awesome listening time
wink_face.gif

Thanks for the response. Where are you located by the way? And how can I check what the release date is in the U.S?

Oh and what does the color have to do with the comfort/listening time? I thought the material was the exact same, regardless of the color. Maybe I am wrong.

Edit: I prefer the black ones as well, though I'd have to wait until the 17th of Feb to purchase them. The Blue/Tan and the white ones however, are available on the 5th of Feb.

Feb 1, 2014 at 7:44 PM Post #44 of 958

Thanks for the response. Where are you located by the way? And how can I check what the release date is in the U.S?

Oh and what does the color have to do with the comfort/listening time? I thought the material was the exact same, regardless of the color. Maybe I am wrong.

Edit: I prefer the black ones as well, though I'd have to wait until the 17th of Feb to purchase them. The Blue/Tan and the white ones however, are available on the 5th of Feb.

i'm currently in Singapore. saw the release date for SG was set to Feb 1 in the ATH SG website

the blue is a LE variant (ATH-M50xBL) - and yes, it does have sonic difference as compared to the black standard one. the LE is brighter to my ears. they didn't really push the mids but it's brighter - which is fatiguing for me to listen to in the long run. but yes - the materials are the same regardless of the colors.

Feb 2, 2014 at 9:53 AM Post #45 of 958
the blue is a LE variant (ATH-M50xBL) - and yes, it does have sonic difference as compared to the black standard one. the LE is brighter to my ears. they didn't really push the mids but it's brighter - which is fatiguing for me to listen to in the long run. but yes - the materials are the same regardless of the colors.

An authorized Audio Technica reseller is offering me the LEs for the same price as the black ones. $170 USD. If i wait for the original black ones, I won't receive them until the 17th-20th of February. If I decide to go for the Blue LE (for the same price), I should receive it within a week from now.

Which one would you go for in this case?
Is the sound significantly different between the two?

Cheers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back