New Audio-gd R-7, R-7HE R-8, R-27, R-27HE, R-28 Flagship Resistor Ladder DACs and DAC/amps
Sep 17, 2018 at 7:45 AM Post #3,196 of 11,305
Scrap the rojon by trimming the legs off as close as possible to the case. Then clean up the sockets. Cause i assume you were referring to sockets...??

Yeah, but usually the force by trimming this way will damage the through-hole traces. I assume it is much safer to trim at Rojon legs since it sits atop the sockets

Sep 17, 2018 at 2:21 PM Post #3,202 of 11,305
I'm on the fence between a new Yggy and the R2R7. I read a lot here about the tonality differences and I got that. However the information about soundstage differences is scant. Has anyone a chance to compare soundstage and imaging on the speakers?

Sep 18, 2018 at 12:22 PM Post #3,204 of 11,305
I'm on the fence between a new Yggy and the R2R7. I read a lot here about the tonality differences and I got that. However the information about soundstage differences is scant. Has anyone a chance to compare soundstage and imaging on the speakers?

Most R2R DACs I've heard weren't spacing giants in terms of sheer size but projected organic and breathing image which I've found very enjoyable. If I had to pick between sources you listed, I'd go with R2R7.

Forza AudioWorks Stay updated on Forza AudioWorks at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://forzaaudioworks.com/en
Sep 18, 2018 at 5:38 PM Post #3,205 of 11,305
Sep 18, 2018 at 8:51 PM Post #3,206 of 11,305
Have been searching for resellers of the Accusilicon oscillators. Haven't found any but did come across this DDC product Martix X-SPDIF 2 that employs Accusilicon. Anyone using the Matrix X-SPDIF 2 with Audio GD products?

http://www.matrix-digi.com/en/products/158/index.html

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/matrix-x-spdif-2-a-singxer-su-1-killer.855159/
Matrix regulators just crap.Better when powering f1 crystek separately,with some 3 stage step down parallel connected ultra low noise regulators like 4xlt3045,hplun or others.

Sep 20, 2018 at 10:15 PM Post #3,207 of 11,305
Most R2R DACs I've heard weren't spacing giants in terms of sheer size but projected organic and breathing image which I've found very enjoyable. If I had to pick between sources you listed, I'd go with R2R7.
I would expect a really wide soundstage with natural imaging on minimally miked recordings (mostly classical), and exaggerated images of closely miked instruments strictly between the speakers with effects (reverb, chorus, phaser) spanning outside the speakers (studio jazz, rock). I never heard about these distinctions in any review I've read so far.

Last edited:
Sep 21, 2018 at 9:23 AM Post #3,208 of 11,305
I don't think sound stage is a weakness of the R2R7. It is pretty damn wide and quite deep mainly with CD transport as source. I don't have very good digital computer source so that may have compromised the sound. My speakers are mainly for chamber music at the moment but they do give quite wide and holographic sound. If the source is great, R2R7 should deliver well. I am using mainly NOS node, can't commend on the OS mode. There are some detailed reviews comparing the Yggy with holo and Medtrum pavane, but none with Audio-gd. If you find some comparing R2R7 with medtrum or holo then you might be able to get some idea with Yggy. which seems to be more of an analytical gear.

Sep 21, 2018 at 9:34 AM Post #3,209 of 11,305
I would expect a really wide soundstage with natural imaging on minimally miked recordings (mostly classical), and exaggerated images of closely miked instruments strictly between the speakers with effects (reverb, chorus, phaser) spanning outside the speakers (studio jazz, rock). I never heard about these distinctions in any review I've read so far.
Hmm. I may try to find some recordings with such characteristics though I don't have many jazz recordings, no rock, almost all classical. R2R 7 is not very forward sounding but not laid back either. Dynamic is huge! More so than SD (at least when comparing with ESS 9018). I don't remember having forward exaggerated images of closed miked recordings. I think it may actually relaxes the images of close miked recordings, and so they are not like in your face (not like sitting 2-3 roles in front of the musicians but move back more)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back