New Audeze "Prototype-Z"!
Jan 23, 2015 at 9:16 AM Post #376 of 455

Take a deep breath and re-read my posts in their entirety. I never even said they where comfortable for that matter. 
rolleyes.gif
 But the 10 minutes (turns out was hyperbole) was what first drew my tongue in cheek post. Again, we're talking about 200g (a whopping 7oz for you non-metric folks) here...not 10-20lbs. 
wink.gif
 Now this case was unique and I can appreciate/understand his issues...but for the vast majority whether they find them comfortable or not (I'm neutral here as I find them neither), 10 minute limits are just that...for special cases.

Had the comments been they are uncomfortable, cool. Nothing is one-size fits all. While I said, the weight never bothered me, I also clearly stated it never impressed me either. I'm with Rob (Skylab) here...while I don't find the LCD-X/whatever uncomfortable, I also don't find them comfortable either. There are several other headphones I can put into this category that I've owned or own now.  I wish my SR007s pulled down more for those of us with larger heads, nothing is perfect.

rolleyes.gif
confused.gif
redface.gif
wink.gif
confused.gif

I can use smilies too!

Seriously, your response seems odd. He's just saying that comfort isn't Audeze's strong suit.

Jan 23, 2015 at 9:28 AM Post #377 of 455
But the Audezes are comfortable for him therefore they're comfortable headphones for everyone!  10 minutes might be hyperbole in some people's minds.  20 minutes on my head becoming real uncomfortable is not a hyperbole for me.

Anyways-- thank god, Audeze's doing suspension straps!

Jan 23, 2015 at 10:37 AM Post #378 of 455
top of my head always has a red spot of pressure on it every day since receiving my LCD.  It used to actually be tender and hurt like a bad bruise but my head stopped growing nerve cells in that region I think :wink: i am bald so i get some strange looks from people everywhere i go.  they always ask if something is wrong with me :wink:

Jan 23, 2015 at 11:08 AM Post #379 of 455
Well, like everything, they have their pluses.

Some people find kinship in the bipolar nature of double sided magnets.

hahahahh!!!!! +2

Jan 23, 2015 at 11:22 AM Post #380 of 455
And I find doing 15 full pullups a few times a day quite comfortable. Just saying.

What I mean is people come in different sizes and fitness levels, as well as sensitivities. Comfort and tolerance with headphones is wildly variable.
Fitness levels...these are headphones...and not that heavy either. It's not like a 20lbs weight. I guess I have a hard time understanding such comments.
Some people have their own peccadilloes which might be difficult to understand. My ex-wife couldn't have her feet covered because she said they got clostraphobic. I've also got a friend who's an Airborne Ranger who doesn't like to wear hats, he says they're to heavy. Go figure.

Jan 23, 2015 at 1:03 PM Post #381 of 455
My mom took off he-500 after 2 minutes. The lcd2 and lcd-3 were immediately taken off upon wearing it. She found them uncomfortable right away. My dad doesn't care whatsoever. Different people, different threshold.

Jan 23, 2015 at 1:16 PM Post #382 of 455

What's the deal with single-sided magnets?

Typically less control over the drivers as they are at their furthest point from the magnets. In general, this leads to higher distortion.

rolleyes.gif
confused.gif
redface.gif
wink.gif
confused.gif

I can use smilies too!

Seriously, your response seems odd. He's just saying that comfort isn't Audeze's strong suit.

But the Audezes are comfortable for him therefore they're comfortable headphones for everyone!  10 minutes might be hyperbole in some people's minds.  20 minutes on my head becoming real uncomfortable is not a hyperbole for me.

Anyways-- thank god, Audeze's doing suspension straps!

Instead of cherry picking phrases, please read them in their entirety. I agree that comfort isn't Audeze's strong suit...but as mentioned, I don't find them uncomfortable either. YMMV here...but 10 minutes is/was hyperbole (which was my point). While the suspension straps are more comfortable...they do look more dorky.

Jan 24, 2015 at 3:14 PM Post #384 of 455
once a chiropractor tried to sell me what essentially amounts to a weight belt for my head including lead shot divers weights when he saw my progressing neck issues. he wanted some $150 for it so I just sewed one up myself and dropped a few bags in it from the local diver supply and never actually used it... whereas my LCD provides the proper motivation 
L3000.gif

Jan 25, 2015 at 6:51 PM Post #385 of 455
Just to be clear, I think those who find Audeze phones heavy for regular use just have extraordinarily weak necks or something. It's not light, but it's definitely not heavy enough to make it uncomfortable. As a matter of fact, I find it very comfortable. The cups are very comfortable and snug to your ears and around it.

Jan 25, 2015 at 6:58 PM Post #386 of 455
i'd be fine with it if i didn't have arthritis in my neck. people with that appreciate the difference a couple hundred grams can make. the suspension style headband will also do a lot to help with the sore spot on top but i agree it does look dorkier. perhaps a slightly thicker memory foam cushion would be enough.  i'm pretty sure Audeze is focused on solving these issues in the Z which is why they are taking their time of it, and i thank them for that.  Improved sound alone wouldn't get me to upgrade.

Jan 25, 2015 at 7:25 PM Post #387 of 455
As far as Audezes weight, my issuer isn't my neck it's the pressure I feel on the top of my head from the band. I wouldn't think to much about it if it wasn't for how great my Denon AH-D7100s feel.

Jan 25, 2015 at 7:45 PM Post #389 of 455
i'd be fine with it if i didn't have arthritis in my neck. people with that appreciate the difference a couple hundred grams can make. the suspension style headband will also do a lot to help with the sore spot on top but i agree it does look dorkier. perhaps a slightly thicker memory foam cushion would be enough.  i'm pretty sure Audeze is focused on solving these issues in the Z which is why they are taking their time of it, and i thank them for that.  Improved sound alone wouldn't get me to upgrade.

But that's an exceptional case. You can mod the phone to conform to your case. Buy an attachable suspension strap. I think Audeze should make some "adaptor" that can be attached under the headband where such adaptor conforms to your head.

For me, I'm looking for SQ, first and foremost. I wouldn't trade it for comfort. If the Audeze Z sounds substantially better, I'll get it.

As far as Audezes weight, my issuer isn't my neck it's the pressure I feel on the top of my head from the band. I wouldn't think to much about it if it wasn't for how great my Denon AH-D7100s feel.

I think Audeze prioritized durability. Like me, they prolly didn't think majority would find it uncomfortable. Again, a simple mod would solve the problem. Or maybe they should change the leather on the headband into a detachable one, where different configurations are available that would fit different head sizes and shapes. That would be great.

Jan 25, 2015 at 8:01 PM Post #390 of 455
But that's an exceptional case. You can mod the phone to conform to your case. Buy an attachable suspension strap. I think Audeze should make some "adaptor" that can be attached under the headband where such adaptor conforms to your head.

For me, I'm looking for SQ, first and foremost. I wouldn't trade it for comfort. If the Audeze Z sounds substantially better, I'll get it.
I think Audeze prioritized durability. Like me, they prolly didn't think majority would find it uncomfortable. Again, a simple mod would solve the problem. Or maybe they should change the leather on the headband into a detachable one, where different configurations are available that would fit different head sizes and shapes. That would be great.

Except for years they've heard people complain about the comfort. They're finally treading towards solving these issues. Weight will always be a problem for some.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back