New Audeze "Prototype-Z"!
Jan 15, 2015 at 7:56 PM Post #316 of 455
Oh YES!
They're just highly focused on EL-8 right now, of course...
After everything they put into the EL-8 launch - the LCD-Z WILL be out - but they just have to focus on EL-8 related stuff right now...

As I just said in the EL-8 Thread (as I was trying to get the peeps interested in LCD-Z to come HERE)
I'm at the docs w/ my wifey - and as soon as we get home tonight I'll give you the intel I found out.

Good luck at the doctors, I hope everything turns out ok!

Jan 16, 2015 at 4:23 AM Post #318 of 455
Come on Mike, spill the beans :D

Jan 16, 2015 at 8:26 AM Post #320 of 455
tongue_smile.gif

Jan 16, 2015 at 8:35 AM Post #321 of 455
Mike,
I hope you and the better half are on the road to recovery health-wise.

As important as headphones are, health is far more important....

Best to both of you.
You for burning the candles at both ends recently (can't blame you for that) and,
Your wife with whatever seems to be wrong there..
Hope both of you are performing as good as the Prototype Z  ASAP. 
smile_phones.gif

Jan 16, 2015 at 12:04 PM Post #322 of 455
Come on Mike, spill the beans
biggrin.gif

hey fellas.
SO sorry I didn't get back to ya last night.
In addition to helping Alexandra (she'a not able to do much these days) I've been nursing this wicked post-CES cold/flu - so its been FUN at the Mercer household!
I crashed when we got home last night.

OK:

The LCD-Z (or, previously called the "LCD-HiZ" - lets see what model name sticks) was not conceived nor designed to be the new Audeze "flagship", rather a totally different type of headphone within the LCD-series.

Perhaps its cost (which will be considerable - looking at what they're looking to accomplish) put that idea in some peoples minds - but it's another ground-breaking design that Audeze is trying to implement: Matching High-Impedance with High-Efficiency! At 1200 ohms - the idea is that the LCD-Z could be paired with OTL tube amps (less a transformer) -  with a gain of 4-5dB.

Audeze is also looking to offer the LCD-Z with a matching amplifier.
I think this is a great idea - 

I've also got word that the carbon fiber headband will in fact be offered (less clamping force, etc.) and it looks like we'll be able to switch out our current headbands (vegan and leather) on the other LCD cans as well with the new carbon fiber one.
I'm REALLY looking forward to that!!

So the concept was born out of trying to innovate rather than replace anything else.

As their efforts are focused on the launch of the EL-8 (understandable - having experienced their booth at CES) right now - the LCD-Z has NOT been abandoned.
They just had to switch their focus in the meantime.

So this will materialize!

I remember the same anticipatory excitement when it came to the LCD-XC (we were teased for a year following Judes experience with the XC at Canjam) as we didn't see the LCD-XC again - until the Headmasters event at the California Audio Show a year after the prototype was shown. I remember when Alex (Rosson) brought the XC over to the Head-Fi Meet we were having during that show - next thing you know we're all waiting to hear it on @warrenpchis' rig! I wish I could link to that Thread - but, nonetheless - we will be seeing the LCD-Z again ASAP. 

They're pretty busy over there to say the least,
and I'm sure they'll get back to work on the Z as soon as their EL-8 launch meets whatever goals they have set for themselves.
That's a mighty task.

So, in the meantime, back to our collective sonic drool...

Mike,
I hope you and the better half are on the road to recovery health-wise.

As important as headphones are, health is far more important....

Best to both of you.
You for burning the candles at both ends recently (can't blame you for that) and,
Your wife with whatever seems to be wrong there..
Hope both of you are performing as good as the Prototype Z  ASAP. 
smile_phones.gif

wink:
I wholly appreciate this post - more than you know.
Thanks for understanding. Having been w/ Alexandra for 18 years - it's tough (well, thats putting it lightly)
to see her in this helpless state. It feels good knowing the peeps in our Head-Fi community get that.

Jan 16, 2015 at 2:50 PM Post #324 of 455
Want to say +1 to wink's post and add my support Mike. Puts this hobby in perspective. All the best to both of you.

Jan 16, 2015 at 7:04 PM Post #327 of 455
hey fellas.
SO sorry I didn't get back to ya last night.
In addition to helping Alexandra (she'a not able to do much these days) I've been nursing this wicked post-CES cold/flu - so its been FUN at the Mercer household!
I crashed when we got home last night.

OK:

The LCD-Z (or, previously called the "LCD-HiZ" - lets see what model name sticks) was not conceived nor designed to be the new Audeze "flagship", rather a totally different type of headphone within the LCD-series.

Perhaps its cost (which will be considerable - looking at what they're looking to accomplish) put that idea in some peoples minds - but it's another ground-breaking design that Audeze is trying to implement: Matching High-Impedance with High-Efficiency! At 1200 ohms - the idea is that the LCD-Z could be paired with OTL tube amps (less a transformer) -  with a gain of 4-5dB.

Audeze is also looking to offer the LCD-Z with a matching amplifier.
I think this is a great idea - 

I've also got word that the carbon fiber headband will in fact be offered (less clamping force, etc.) and it looks like we'll be able to switch out our current headbands (vegan and leather) on the other LCD cans as well with the new carbon fiber one.
I'm REALLY looking forward to that!!

So the concept was born out of trying to innovate rather than replace anything else.

As their efforts are focused on the launch of the EL-8 (understandable - having experienced their booth at CES) right now - the LCD-Z has NOT been abandoned.
They just had to switch their focus in the meantime.

So this will materialize!

I remember the same anticipatory excitement when it came to the LCD-XC (we were teased for a year following Judes experience with the XC at Canjam) as we didn't see the LCD-XC again - until the Headmasters event at the California Audio Show a year after the prototype was shown. I remember when Alex (Rosson) brought the XC over to the Head-Fi Meet we were having during that show - next thing you know we're all waiting to hear it on @warrenpchi
s' rig! I wish I could link to that Thread - but, nonetheless - we will be seeing the LCD-Z again ASAP. 

They're pretty busy over there to say the least,
and I'm sure they'll get back to work on the Z as soon as their EL-8 launch meets whatever goals they have set for themselves.
That's a mighty task.

So, in the meantime, back to our collective sonic drool...

wink:
I wholly appreciate this post - more than you know.
Thanks for understanding. Having been w/ Alexandra for 18 years - it's tough (well, thats putting it lightly)
to see her in this helpless state. It feels good knowing the peeps in our Head-Fi community get that.

Oh, didn't know she was in such a bad state... SO sorry to hear that man, all the best for both of you!

Jan 16, 2015 at 8:48 PM Post #328 of 455
  there you go again with this whole 'it's not the next flagship' thing 
angry_face.gif

biggrin.gif

Want to say +1 to wink's post and add my support Mike. Puts this hobby in perspective. All the best to both of you.

ThanX @AiDee! I appreciate the kind words, and absolutely! When she got sick it really put things in perspective for SURE

I too wanna join in, Mike, and wish your wife good health. I hope she recovers quickly and gets back on track. Much more important than audio gear!

Alexandra is REALLY impressed w/ these messages fellas - I'm reading them to her - and she says: "That's SO nice, thanks Head-Fiers!" "I'd never hear anything like this from the pocket-protector audiophile crowd" (love that - she came up with that awhile ago when I took her to a high-end show - and all the older fools just staired at her boobs).
Thanks @Chikolad!!  

AND SORRY FOR BEING OFF-TOPIC HERE - But I wanted to be sure Alexandra heard these messages.

Yeah, I wish Alexandra all the best and I hope you get through your flu quickly so that you can feel 100% while helping her out.

ThanX @greenkiwi! I wholly appreciate all your support and thanks for continuing to read my stuff. Alexandra said "I recognize that Head-Fi handle - doesn't he comments on your articles?" I said yup!!

Oh, didn't know she was in such a bad state... SO sorry to hear that man, all the best for both of you!

Man - you guys made her night, and mine. Don't worry - we've been dealin' w/ this for over a year now (damn auto-immune disorder that they can't diagnose yet - but we keep fighting the good fight). Thanks @citraian  - 

SO
Did I give you the intel you were looking for??
Need anything else w/ regard to the LCD-Z????

Users who are viewing this thread

Back