New Audeze LCD3
Jun 17, 2013 at 6:58 PM Post #7,516 of 11,521

Here is the FR graph for my new phones. Sorry vertical inclination but still can see that the curve is extremely flat.

Jun 18, 2013 at 4:28 AM Post #7,518 of 11,521
Quote:
LCD3 is on the top of my list to try. But I am a liitle bit worry about the issue. Will the later LCD3 avoid this problem?

They already should have for more than a year.  And, as a matter of fact, mine from April 2013 are still working properly, totally unveiled, with an FR graph really close to commtrd's one.  (I've just compared mine to his.)

So, if you want to try it, don't hesitate.  I even bought them without being able to try them, and I surely don't regret it.

Jun 18, 2013 at 6:30 AM Post #7,519 of 11,521
Quote:
LCD3 is on the top of my list to try. But I am a liitle bit worry about the issue. Will the later LCD3 avoid this problem?

Well I have one from April 2013 (supposedly one with issues) and still sings amazingly. As for the FR chart, here is mine:

It is weird that LCD3s have a bit of variant patterns start from 5K up the end, but I don’t care as long as I'm enjoying such epic sounds.  

Jun 18, 2013 at 7:14 AM Post #7,520 of 11,521
Quote:

Well I have one from April 2013 (supposedly one with issues) and still sings amazingly. As for the FR chart, here is mine:

It is weird that LCD3s have a bit of variant patterns start from 5K up the end, but I don’t care as long as I'm enjoying such epic sounds.  

I'm not intrigued by the variance from 5 kHz up to 20, it could already be the case simply by measuring the same sample several times.  The results would be different, within certain boundaries of course, and I suspect that it could be several dB different in the 5 to 20 kHz range.

I also suspect that the earcushions don't have to be fairly different in composition and dimensions to have a noticeable impact in that frequency range, as well as the position of the LCD around the ear (Neumann microphone) has.  So if you put them off and on several times, the positioning itself could explain the variance.

I've said "I suspect" twice, and I don't like it more than you do, so it would be totally-utterly cool to have, let's say, Tyll from Innerfidelity give his opinion on my suspicions.

Jun 18, 2013 at 8:08 AM Post #7,521 of 11,521
had the LCD3 sold it bought a PS1000 now much happier 
gs1000.gif

Jun 18, 2013 at 8:23 AM Post #7,524 of 11,521
well from that you can either say the ps1000 has hot treble or the lcd3 has recessed treble, for me its the latter, the ps1000 are just much more engaging to me. tbh freq graphs can be misleading i have a t1 and that is much brighter across the board than the ps1000 but it doesnt look that way on the graphs.
Also the soundstage shape and imaging on the ps1000 is better than the lcd. if id use one word to describe the cans LCD3 would be claustrophibic, T1s would be reverbious( coming from ps1000's the its t1s sound as though your listening to it in a cave and im not refering to the size of the soundstage im refering to the tone of sounds), ps1000s would be refined

Jun 18, 2013 at 9:07 AM Post #7,525 of 11,521
LCD-3 most definitely has recessed treble.  Doesn't change that the PS1000 has a nasty treble and midbass hump and no extension at either end.  Engaging short term, grating once it wears off, coming from a previous Grado fan.

Jun 18, 2013 at 10:14 AM Post #7,527 of 11,521
Quote:
LCD-3 most definitely has recessed treble.  Doesn't change that the PS1000 has a nasty treble and midbass hump and no extension at either end.  Engaging short term, grating once it wears off, coming from a previous Grado fan.

Actually it gets a whole lot worse when you consider the 30 and 300 Hz square wave plots, distortion (YIKES on the PS1000s under 100Hz...approaching 90%+) and slow impulse responses. For that kind of $, I expect a WHOLE lot more in terms of performance. 

LCD-3:
http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/AudezeLCD3Rev2sn2613375circa2012.pdf

PS1000:
http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/GradoPS1000.pdf

Heck the PS500s measure better with regards to distortion, 300Hz square wave and impulse response. And they don't have that nasty, nasty treble. 

PS500:
http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/GradoPS500.pdf

Jun 18, 2013 at 10:55 AM Post #7,528 of 11,521
i dont think the ps1000 has nasty treble at all, treble on the t1 sounds sharper and on the lcd3 the treble is just way too soft. I trust my ears rather than look at graphs, the w3000anv has a freq graph that looks like poo but lots of people still seem to love it

Jun 18, 2013 at 11:12 AM Post #7,529 of 11,521
Quote:
i dont think the ps1000 has nasty treble at all, treble on the t1 sounds sharper and on the lcd3 the treble is just way too soft. I trust my ears rather than look at graphs, the w3000anv has a freq graph that looks like poo but lots of people still seem to love it

I find the PS1000/GS1000's treble about as nasty as Grado's get. Have you heard the PS500s with the bowl pads? You might be surprised on the comparison (and for 1/3 the price). Then there's the extreme roll off on the bass under 80Hz (and the incredible distortion). But I'm not going to try to convince you that what you're hearing is wrong...it is absolutely right for you. 
size]

I on the other hand would take the LCD-3s or HD800s (or even PS500s) over the PS1000s any day of the week.

The T1's treble is actually quite smooth (at least based on the T1s I've heard) when driven on a great OTL amp.

Jun 18, 2013 at 12:02 PM Post #7,530 of 11,521
Another chart from August 2012. I first had a pair the dealer shipped to me that started with a serial number of 23 and had been pro-actively sent back to Audeze for checking. The graph for those showed a flatter extension out to 2K rather than 1.5K, but I had terrible issues with my Yamaha Clavinova as they suffered from some kind of strange ringing effect at around middle C on the piano. They were swapped for these ones which were serial numbered 26. These do not have that strange issue at all and have been great. While I do see variances in the graphs, fundamentally they all start sliding down around 1.5-1.8K. They then seem to have two humps at 5K and 7K before a larger hump that they all seem to share more closely. It is the 7K hump that has the most variance and the newer charts show a bigger hump at this point. But we do not know if they have changed their measuring equipment/technique or whether they have tweaked the response of the drivers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back