Neumann NDH 30
Jun 24, 2023 at 6:00 PM Post #2,642 of 4,939
I just locked through the thread... The inconsistency(-ies) are problematic, and I do not know if all headphones had pad sound. I had the 20s since the end of the first year or start of second. The pads made the sound metallic. After these ripped for some unknown reason for me, the new ones sounded much better, yet the reverb / echo reproduction in songs and video games was zero. It lacked everything. I always think of the NDH20 as an upgrade for the Sennheiser 58x, for which I got more and more bored and sold both. The NDH30 have no issues for me and I like the strong *insert bad memes* hug of a waifu (I do not watch any anime). I do like the clamp compared to the HD600 which press into my jaw line.

Headphones I own are: NDH30, HD600, Sony MDR M1ST w/ Yaxi M1ST pads, MDR 900ST and Koss KPH30i. For the first 3 mentioned headphones I do have no order anymore. I do use the 30 and 600 the most.

Welcome!

For me the NDH30 made my HD600 sound weird. Both headphones are more or less going for the same thing re neutrality but one is doing things better. NDH30 has it beat in multiple areas - namely imaging, stage width/depth/height, micro details, and bass performance (textures and quantity). NDH30 driver has more speed as well. It's almost planar like in its ability to handle attack/ release of notes, and is just as weighty in the notes as all of the 6 series headphones imo, so there's no tradeoffs. It's just an upgrade all around. I've heard over the years that people are basically searching for a 600 with bass. If that's the case, it seems to me that this is what the NDH30 accomplishes in addition to the other aforementioned improvements.

NDH30 did not make my 6XX sound strange. In fact, I appreciate that headphone even more now and recognize some strengths it has over the 600. All of this confirms what a weird journey this hobby is.. I said i wouldn't give up my 600 and now I am moved to do just that. I cannot be trusted :smile:

Jun 24, 2023 at 7:06 PM Post #2,643 of 4,939
As I mentioned, I had my NDH 30s playing unattended since I received them on Thursday. I don’t claim to hear any major differences from my first impressions. Still unhappy w/ the feel of the pads, so I played w/ some alternative pads. Had some Mr.Speakers Ether Flow pads — one angled, one flat, both solid leather. Size is about right, but both shifted tonality bassward … a lot.

ZMF pads are too big, but I could test them w/ clamping force holding them in place. Auteur perforated lambskin and suede pads both sounded very good.

But the big winner for me are some worn-out Ether 2 stock pads. Very comfortable, and not damaging to the sound signature. They’re also too big, but the adhesive Dan uses to mount them helped somewhat to hold them in place. Amusingly, I prefer those solid stock E2 pads over the perforated pads I now use on my E2. Switching back and forth w/ stock NDH 30 pads, I hear slightly less treble energy, but the rest of the spectrum seems unaffected.

Bottom line, I’m quite pleased with this outcome as it eliminates my biggest issue with NDH 30s. Gonna go shop for double-sided tape.

Jun 24, 2023 at 7:16 PM Post #2,645 of 4,939
I’ve often read that the HD800S isn’t really that different to the HD800. Basically the same with the 6kHz spike tamed somewhat and more perceived bass through added 3rd harmonic distortion. A better tuning for many for sure, but not a ‘better’ headphone overall.

I’d take the NDH 30 over the HD800 any day. Even ignoring the frequency response, the naturalness of the imaging, tonality and soundstage make it the better headphone to me, despite the undoubted technical abilities of the driver in the HD800. Add to that the build quality and comfort of the NDH 30 and there’s no contest IMO. The 30 looks, feels, and sounds like the better headphone.
There are some interesting summaries of the HD800 'evolution' on-line. I've owned them all I think - a big fan. In short, the early 800 model had a fierce top end and clean, lean low end. The late 800 model adjusted some design parameters - including ear pads and the steel weave on the driver housing - which introduced some more low end heft and reduced the temperature somewhat on the top end. The 800S came with essentially the same pads and housing but also with a resonator to dampen selected higher frequencies. The latest 800S (which I have) isn't obviously different (I owned the early 800S too), but I'm tempted to say it's a little cleaner than the first 800S (might be imagining it). I think the models all sound quite different. The early 800 (which I owned and loved) is ruthless and considerably brighter than the late version - which I don't consider particularly bright. In fact, the late 800 sounds more like the early 800S I think - both having a little more distortion in the low end, giving greater heft and much less bite in the top end. My guess is that early review comparisons between the 800 and 800S were based on the early 800. To my ear the current 800S is the best so far - and among the best available at any price. I think it's more natural than the 800 - even though some of the changes might be seen as a little less clean, with a little more observable distortion. I must say also that I think it's considerably better that the Neumann - but at twice the price. That said, I might have preferred the Neumann over the 800 - maybe easier to live with. (But I've parted company with both - there are a number of other phones I prefer.)

Last edited:
Jun 24, 2023 at 7:48 PM Post #2,646 of 4,939
Welcome!

For me the NDH30 made my HD600 sound weird. Both headphones are more or less going for the same thing re neutrality but one is doing things better. NDH30 has it beat in multiple areas - namely imaging, stage width/depth/height, micro details, and bass performance (textures and quantity). NDH30 driver has more speed as well. It's almost planar like in its ability to handle attack/ release of notes, and is just as weighty in the notes as all of the 6 series headphones imo, so there's no tradeoffs. It's just an upgrade all around. I've heard over the years that people are basically searching for a 600 with bass. If that's the case, it seems to me that this is what the NDH30 accomplishes in addition to the other aforementioned improvements.

NDH30 did not make my 6XX sound strange. In fact, I appreciate that headphone even more now and recognize some strengths it has over the 600. All of this confirms what a weird journey this hobby is.. I said i wouldn't give up my 600 and now I am moved to do just that. I cannot be trusted :smile:
Honestly once you hear the drawbacks of the HD 600, it's kinda hard to unhear them. For me it was the DT 480 that made the HD 600 sound weird to me. Can't wait to get my hands on the NDH-30 though (it's my next headphone so will be able to see what I think). After spending a lot of time with all of the HD 6xx line recently, I also heard the benefits of the HD 660S over the HD 650 and HD 600, while not a full upgrade it does have it's benefits. I have no interest in the HD 600 anymore. The HD 660S2 messed up the upper mids to my ears, like there was a bit of a void in their upper mids, odd because the upper mid relaxed T1.3 didn't have that problem, it's more than just a recess going on there.

Last edited:
Jun 25, 2023 at 2:09 AM Post #2,647 of 4,939
Slightly OT..was just checking my local shop, L&M, around the corner from me on pricing......they have the AKG K712 priced higher than the NDH30...eh ...????

Amazon on the other hand?

The local shop just around the corner?! That's a dream (musically) and dangerous (financially) at the same time!

Prices for headphones seem to differ from country to country quite significantly sometimes.

These are the current prices in Switzerland (converted to USD):

HeadphonesPrice (USD)
AKG K7212 PRO239
Focal Clear MG Professional1,342
Neumann NDH 20 Silver472
Neumann NDH 20 Black557
Neumann NDH 30613

Last edited:
Jun 25, 2023 at 2:41 AM Post #2,648 of 4,939
@kman1211
A long time ago I also owned an HD600, which was somehow 'too smooth' for me - then I bought a K701, which brought more life into the music.
The HD600 then lay in the drawer until I sold it.
At the moment I listen with K712, K812, Austrian Audio Hi-X65.
I have my sights set on the DT1990 Pro, which I would like to try out. But the Beyer-Peak? :thinking:
Neumann NDH 30 would be interesting but how far away is its sound from the HD600, is it basically based on the Sennheiser HD5xx, HD6xx series - also made in China?
The Neumann NDH 30 is a bit too expensive just for playing around.

Jun 25, 2023 at 2:47 AM Post #2,649 of 4,939
@kman1211
A long time ago I also owned an HD600, which was somehow 'too smooth' for me - then I bought a K701, which brought more life into the music.
The HD600 then lay in the drawer until I sold it.
At the moment I listen with K712, K812, Austrian Audio Hi-X65.
I have my sights set on the DT1990 Pro, which I would like to try out. But the Beyer-Peak? :thinking:
Neumann NDH 30 would be interesting but how far away is its sound from the HD600, is it basically based on the Sennheiser HD5xx, HD6xx series - also made in China?
The Neumann NDH 30 is a bit too expensive just for playing around.
If you're listening for enjoyment, rather than studio monitoring, to my ears the K812 is very hard to beat. I think the K812 is excellent. If you like the K812, I'm inclined to think the Neumann wouldn't be as satisfying. Imaging, in particular, isn't as convincing I think.

EDIT: I should add that, as a happy T1 owner (I like the Beyer approach), I think it's also more satisfying than the Neumann. I think the DT1990 shares much of the T1 character.

Last edited:
Jun 25, 2023 at 3:57 AM Post #2,650 of 4,939
The Beyers are good if you don’t mind the forward treble. The NDH 30 treble is much smoother, even a little recessed, but far more natural and pleasant for many people. Check out the video I posted a few pages back for a good comparison of the DT 1990 and the NDH 30.

Jun 25, 2023 at 8:06 AM Post #2,651 of 4,939
Jun 25, 2023 at 8:23 AM Post #2,652 of 4,939
Neumann NDH 30 would be interesting but how far away is its sound from the HD600,
When I first auditioned the NDH30 last November the HD600 series came to mind, but with more body and bass, definitely a different phone though. Was tempted but at close to 1K$ Canadian a little pricey to scratch an itch and then the HD660S2 unexpectedly rolled out and offered a few improvements over the HD660S that for me were missing and with a pre-launch discount and the sale of my 660S the itch was scratched . lol

Austrian Audio Hi-X65.
As a long time AKG user the Austrian Audio Hi-X65 are still on my radar, more so than the NDH30.
But again.... :)
.......I do not really need another phone at the moment. (famous last words) :sunglasses:

Last edited:
Jun 25, 2023 at 8:48 AM Post #2,653 of 4,939
But again.... :)
I’m not sure if I admire your self restraint, or if I wonder whether your apparent resistance to being in any way coerced is keeping you from something that would otherwise be an obvious purchase…….. After all, IIRC you wanted to sell something before you bought the NDH 30, but in the meantime you’ve splashed out on the HD820. Of course, it’s none of my business how are you organise your affairs, but as you’ve been kind enough to share your thought processes it seems somewhat curious to me that you seem so reluctant to take the plunge with the NDH 30?

Hope that doesn’t come across as rude, it’s certainly not meant to be(!), but it is something that I have been wondering……

Last edited:
Jun 25, 2023 at 9:01 AM Post #2,654 of 4,939
Where exactly is the NDH 30 produced, who is this company, contract manufacturer?
Who developed this new membrane?

Screenshot_2023-06-24_at_1.58.41_PM.jpg

Jun 25, 2023 at 9:31 AM Post #2,655 of 4,939
you wanted to sell something before you bought the NDH 30,
Life's complicated . lol .....the NDH30, sound wise for me sit somewhere between the the HD800S and the HD660S so no big urge or need to purchase and the S2 with little outlay replaced the 660S. As for the HD820, after auditioning them they were a must have on my bucket list, especially for a closed back, sadly dollar wise out of reach and not going to happen :triportsad:......

but in the meantime you’ve splashed out on the HD820.
... some "funny money" rolled in (unexpected returns on investments). : )

you’ve been kind enough to share your thought processes
Well it's a hobby and just sharing ideas. : )

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back