Neumann NDH 30
May 25, 2023 at 2:07 AM Post #2,281 of 4,939
A fine-sounding headphone. I appreciate its tuning-- neutral and detailed without being overly bright. So far, it's a keeper. Will be joining a few other headphones I've been most happy with lately, forming a German quartet: the T+A Solitaire P, the HEDD headphone, the Sennheiser HD660S2, and now the NDH30.
Quite a nice selection of headphones! I am sure you'll be enjoying all of them!

May 25, 2023 at 3:27 AM Post #2,282 of 4,939
A fine-sounding headphone. I appreciate its tuning-- neutral and detailed without being overly bright. So far, it's a keeper. Will be joining a few other headphones I've been most happy with lately, forming a German quartet: the T+A Solitaire P, the HEDD headphone, the Sennheiser HD660S2, and now the NDH30.
I would appreciate a comparison of the NDH 30 with the HD660S2, either here or on the S2 thread.

May 25, 2023 at 4:59 AM Post #2,283 of 4,939
The twist doesn't connect anything more, just secures the cable in place. Full connection is already achieved with full insertion.
And ..once again (for new readers): Cable always on the Right side for Neumann headphones. Opposite wearing of the headphones affects the sound negatively because the drivers are off-centered and inclined.
We can't repeat this often enough: The cable must be on the right side for Neumann headphones if even well-known and great mixing engineers get it wrong:

May 25, 2023 at 5:11 AM Post #2,284 of 4,939
We can't repeat this often enough: The cable must be on the right side for Neumann headphones if even well-known and great mixing engineers get it wrong:

What astonishes me is that someone at that level has not noticed the most basic of all things, namely that the L-R image is reversed. It's amazing enough that he wouldn't have noticed that the sound from the headphones was not good (because the drivers are in the wrong place and wrong orientation relative to the ears), but if he's wearing them the wrong way around it must mean that, either he hasn't listened to anything familiar that would have told him that the stereo image was reversed, which is astounding, or, he has but didn't notice, which simply beggars belief.

May 25, 2023 at 5:26 AM Post #2,285 of 4,939
Hello,

Arcanera,

Didn't have the chance to compare directly the hedd to the ndh30, but as described by a British reviewer it is true that the hedd sounds like having two line arrays on the side of your head.
I think the Neumann is more on the monitoring side. Also more practical, you could wear it at office or everywhere without looking like a fool which would be the case with the headphone.
I think I will buy again a heddphone when I find a bargain. and keep both of them.

What would you say briefly about these two headphones ?

May 25, 2023 at 5:47 AM Post #2,286 of 4,939
I would appreciate a comparison of the NDH 30 with the HD660S2, either here or on the S2 thread.
Just initial impression: the standout difference I'm hearing is that the HD660S2 is warmer, a little diffuse in comparison, not quite as technical/clean/accurate as the NDH30. I don't think the HD660S2 is a slouch though. Both have their virtues. Pretty happy with both so far.

May 25, 2023 at 5:51 AM Post #2,287 of 4,939
What would you say briefly about these two headphones ?
The HEDD is definitely an awkward beast! Indeed, I find it's better to call them, not headphones, but "ear speakers." The sound is excellent though, to my ears. The best timber I've ever heard. I really love them for Classical (most of what I listen to).

May 25, 2023 at 7:50 AM Post #2,289 of 4,939
The HEDD is definitely an awkward beast! Indeed, I find it's better to call them, not headphones, but "ear speakers." The sound is excellent though, to my ears. The best timber I've ever heard. I really love them for Classical (most of what I listen to).
Would you mind comparing this tracks on the hedd Vs ndh30 for me
?
Especially micro details and micro dynamics such as castañuelas and viola di Gamba upper extension.

I would appreciate.

Screenshot_2023-05-25-13-47-17-246_com.extreamsd.usbaudioplayerpro.jpg

May 25, 2023 at 9:11 AM Post #2,291 of 4,939
For now though, my initial impressions comparing the NDH30 and the HEDD generally. The way I hear it:

The HEDD is overall more refined; it has a fuller, richer tone, great timber, and excellent instrument separation, and image depth.

The NDH30 is a little thinner in tone, but is admirably even across the board. Excellent soundstage--but more wide than deep--and instrument placement.

In terms of dynamics, I can't say much yet, but I like both (honestly more than I thought I would, given some reviews I've read).

The main downside of the HEDD for me is actually not its weight or bulk, but a slight midrange peak, I think, that can be be bothersome. I really like its exceptional midrange articulation though, combined with a rich detailed bass and non-peaky treble. It is harder to drive however.

That said, I think the NDH30 is pretty excellent and I'm enjoying it very much. Glad to have both.

May 25, 2023 at 11:48 AM Post #2,292 of 4,939
Really glad to read this kind of comparisons!

Also I am very glad that Greg ("Satriany") initiated me to the gorgeous music of Jordi Savall which had totally skipped my radar until a few weeks ago. The world is very small, Greg and I met near Delphi when we happened to visit the same village in Greece at the same day!!! I new he was visiting Greece but can you imagine my surprise when he sent me an hour-fresh photo, practically taken in front of the hotel I was staying? We had a nice meeting, trying not to talk audio (lol), our families met too! A very nice guy with a wonderful family.

Now, I am ready to visit Athens Headphone Show this Saturday. Willing to compare some more headphones and head-amps, I thought that a balanced cable for my NDH 30 would be very useful. Thus I bought an internally symmetrical cable, the one that HD-560S use - just for €16 - and modified the headphone end plug (made its body 0.5m thinner to fit in the NDH-30 socket). At the amp end I soldered a Pentaconn type 4.4mm plug. I also made a small extension with a Pentaconn female plug at one and and a 4-pin XLR at the other:

1685026795381.jpeg

I hope that the 4-pin XLR that I used is of correct dimensions (I tried to verify that there is no other type of 4-pin XLR).

Below are the HD-560S plug (left) before modification and the Neumann one (right):

1685027396171.jpeg

Their contacts part is absolutely identical but you can see that the 560 plug body needs thinning with a cutter. There was no way to insert it as it was. It was a relatively easy job to decrease its diameter to 6.0mm from 6.5mm, sculpting a little the lock point groves too.

The modification was very successful and the sound of the cable is really excellent (as expected). I have a FiiO KA3 dac dongle with both single ended 3.5mm and balanced 4.4mm outputs. Comparing the two outputs for a few minutes, the first with the stock Neumann cable and the second with the home-made balanced one, I can tell that the balanced output of the KA3 is at least equal to the SE one. There were moments that I though that it sounded better than the SE output, I will test more in the future.
Now I am equipped for any headphone comparisons, using the exact same amplification stages. I am sure that some exhibitors at the show will only offer listening of their headphones in balanced mode.
In the future, if I think that the balanced mode of some amplifier may have more to offer than my single ended Lehmann Linear II D (not very likely), I will modify an original Neumann cable (about € 80) which is internally balanced and thus ready for plug modification at the amp end. The Pentaconn type plugs cost no more than €10 (Audiophonics-France) for an already very good quality.

P.S. The most difficult part is to prepare the cable wire (litz type) for soldering because each and every strand is individually enamel-insulated and does not accept soldering. Slightly burning their ends (2-3mm) with a small flame, destroys the red or green enamel. After a little scrapping and cleaning with alcohol (methanol or ethanol) the wire ends become "nude" and conductive again. The only reason for which I chose a stock cable for the modification is because it already had the very thin 4-pin 2.5mm plug that is very hard or impossible to find.]

Last edited:
May 25, 2023 at 12:00 PM Post #2,293 of 4,939
Really glad to read this kind of comparisons!

Also I am very glad that Greg ("Satriany") initiated me to the gorgeous music of Jordi Savall which had totally skipped my radar until a few weeks ago. The world is very small, Greg and I met near Delphi when we happened to visit the same village in Greece at the same day!!! I new he was visiting Greece but can you imagine my surprise when he sent me an hour-fresh photo, practically taken in front of the hotel I was staying? We had a nice meeting, trying not to talk audio (lol), our families met too! A very nice guy with a wonderful family.

Now, I am ready to visit Athens Headphone Show this Saturday. Willing to compare some more headphones and head-amps, I thought that a balanced cable for my NDH 30 would be very useful. Thus I bought an internally symmetrical cable, the one that HD-560S use - just for €16 - and modified the headphone end plug (made its body 0.5m thinner to fit in the NDH-30 socket). At the amp end I soldered a Pentaconn type 4.4mm plug. I also made a small extension with a Pentaconn female plug at one and and a 4-pin XLR at the other:

1685026795381.jpeg

I hope that the 4-pin XLR that I used is of correct dimensions (I tried to verify that there is no other type of 4-pin XLR).

Below are the HD-560S plug (left) before modification and the Neumann one (right):

1685027396171.jpeg

Their contacts part is absolutely identical but you can see that the 560 plug body needs thinning with a cutter. There was no way to insert it as it was. It was a relatively easy job to decrease its diameter to 6.0mm from 6.5mm, sculpting a little the lock point groves too.

The modification was very successful and the sound of the cable is really excellent (as expected). I have a FiiO KA3 dac dongle with both single ended 3.5mm and balanced 4.4mm outputs. Comparing the two outputs for a few minutes, the first with the stock Neumann cable and the second with the home-made balanced one, I can tell that the balanced output of the KA3 is at least equal to the SE one. There were moments that I though that it sounded better than the SE output, I will test more in the future.
Now I am equipped for any headphone comparisons, using the exact same amplification stages. I am sure that some exhibitors at the show will only offer listening of their headphones in balanced mode.
In the future, if I think that the balanced mode of some amplifier will have more to offer than my single ended Lehmann Linear II D, I will modify an original Neumann cable (about € 80) which is internally balanced and thus ready for plug modification at the amp end. The Pentaconn type plugs cost no more than €10 (Audiophonics-France) for an already very good quality.

P.S. The most difficult part is to prepare the cable wire (litz type) for soldering because each and every strand is individually enamel-insulated and does not accept soldering. Slightly burning their ends (2-3mm) with a small flame, destroys the red or green enamel. After a little scrapping and cleaning with alcohol (ethanol or methanol) the wire ends become "nude" and conductive again. The only reason for which I chose a stock cable for the modification is because it already had the very thin 4-pin 2.5mm plug that is very hard or impossible to find.]
Great stuff! Really looking forward to some impressions and comparisons from the headphone show! It will be very interesting to hear what others think of the NDH 30!

May 25, 2023 at 12:45 PM Post #2,294 of 4,939
Last edited:
May 25, 2023 at 1:18 PM Post #2,295 of 4,939
Seeing Axel Grell had a hand in the Neumann anyone else catch this?
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/axel-grell-headphone.967413/
I would think a totally different target group though than the NDH20 /30s ....

Apparently for Drop.
https://www.techpowerup.com/306163/...po-targeting-approximate-usd-300-unit-pricing
Interesting! Thanks for the heads up. Looks a bit like an NDH 30 for the headphone enthusiast masses (i.e. not the pros) - more fun H-Fi sounding with its emphasis on soundstage, and half the price. I imagine it will be a huge hit!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back