Nerdiest Audiophile Moments
May 29, 2011 at 5:52 PM Post #4 of 66
people think I'm crazy having multiple headphones. They can understand someone who loves music to buy an expensive headphone, but not to have many of them

May 29, 2011 at 11:07 PM Post #8 of 66
When someone at work asked me how much my TF10 costs. They were like, "Really??? You paid that much for earphones?"

May 29, 2011 at 11:53 PM Post #10 of 66
Walking around old town..... with my MDR-CD2000's on (and in a couple weeks the MDR-Z1000's) Screw em all, I need my musics and I need it injected pure, sometimes the PortaPro's (which are quite awesome) don't cut it.

May 30, 2011 at 1:45 AM Post #12 of 66
OOOHHHH the BOSE STORE. I can almost feel the horrible awkwardness of that like an episode of Fawlty Towers with John Cleese x 10 with a side of Inspector Cluseau ( Pink Panther ).   wait: Bose had a dedicated storefront?

Having my desktop background at work set to a picture of glowing tubes in a dark room, and having to explain what they are, why they are nice sounding, and having them ask with a thousand mile  stare: "...what do you mean? High end audio? Why?..."
Also caught myself DESPERATELY trying to explain bitrates and file formats other than MP3 to an 19 year old girl in an office, as simple as possible even a 6 year old would get it.FINALLY after realizing what I was dealing with I said "it just sounds better" she said :"why would I want that?" as she ate spoonfulls of hydrogenated hazelnut spread and hydrogenated peanut butter from their respective jars. No joke. I tried telling her about that hydrogenated crap too....

Every time I bring up the thing about headphones, that they all sound different and their driver principles, the looks I get are bad enough.

What really needs to happen is we need to get  mobile headphone re-education  listening vans driving around so they can hear it firsthand.

these are the future of the human race???????

May 30, 2011 at 1:48 AM Post #13 of 66

Quote:
What's fun is going into a Bose store (used to be one across from where I worked) and getting the spiel from a salesman.

Then starting to ask questions about how they compare to Sennheiser, Beyerdynamics, Grados, AKGs, etc.

You can see the fear in their eyes.

Yes. FEED ON THEIR FEAR >:]

Whenever my friends ask me for a recommendation on headphones, I ask them a bunch of stuff they don't understand, like "is soundstaging a priority?" or "do you mind hard-driven headphones?"

In the end I just give up and go "do you need looks?" =.=

May 30, 2011 at 1:50 AM Post #14 of 66

Quote:
Having my desktop background at work set to a picture of glowing tubes in a dark room, and having to explain what they are, why they are nice sounding, and having them ask with a thousand mile  stare: "...what do you mean? High end audio? Why?..."
Also caught myself DESPERATELY trying to explain bitrates and file formats other than MP3 to an 19 year old girl in an office, as simple as possible even a 6 year old would get it.FINALLY after realizing what I was dealing with I said "it just sounds better" she said :"why would I want that?" as she ate spoonfulls of hydrogenated hazelnut spread and hydrogenated peanut butter from their respective jars. No joke. I tried telling her about that hydrogenated crap too....

Every time I bring up the thing about headphones, that they all sound different and their driver principles, the looks I get are bad enough.

these are the future of the human race???????

Hydoga wadda what? I just say "filled with trans fat" :p

May 30, 2011 at 1:58 AM Post #15 of 66

Hydoga wadda what? I just say "filled with trans fat" :p

mmmmmmmm trans fats *drools*

I recently had to explain that tubes are not only for guitar amps, but for speaker amps and headphone amps as well. I was amazed that they believe the popularity of guitar amps, but won't believe me when I say I need to pick up more tubes for my stereo amp.

And as for Bose, I can go into Best Buy and confuse the Bose and Monster reps, then walk down the road toa place called Good Vibes and listen to a pair of $600 Klipsch speakers and cleanse myself. Then, to make me happy, go talk tubes with the guy at Glenn Poor's (the good audio shop) while listening to some Dynaudios through a stack of McIntosh gear all while wondering whether anything would be worth getting for speakers and Grados.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back