Need some opinions (BEATS HATERS GET OUT)
Dec 20, 2010 at 12:23 AM Post #31 of 101
Have you been sitting on my front porch watching (listening) to all the cars driving past my house, because from your post it sure sounds like it.

Quote:
Oh boy. No, we don't hate bass. We hate bad bass.

Bass that is sloppy and imprecise sucks. It all sounds like the same note.

Doesn't that get boring after awhile?

It really sucks when bass keeps you from hearing the mids and highs. Sometimes the vocals are just drowning in mud.

The very worst is when headphones (or speakers, for that matter) make bass that isn't there on the recording. Do you want to hear something that was never intended to be on the recording? That destroys the artistic integrity of the recording.

For those of you who just want a pulsating beat you can feel and don't give a rip about anything else, here's a plan for you. Go get $29 subwoofer at Pep Boys. Or from the swapmeet, because it doesn't matter. Do not buy an expensive one because - horror of horrors - it might reproduce bass accurately. You want cheap; trust me. If you're inclined to spend a lot of money, just buy more of them. Next, get some cheap plywood and build a subwoofer cabinet. Just use a jigsaw and a drill. Don't worry about precision because you want the cabinet to make noise on its own. Anything well-designed might make bass accurate, and that's the wrong approach. Next, find an old PA amp or a cheap car subwoofer amp. Do not buy a nice amp. You need one that's kinda crappy and does not have good control over the subwoofer.

Don't bother with mids or tweeters. Since you don't care about those, it won't matter. Besides, they'll just get drowned out by the subwoofer.

Now hook it all up and play music. Thump, thump, thump. You'll be happy and should have all you care about in the music. Plus this will be a lot cheaper than buying decent headphones or speakers.

Dec 20, 2010 at 8:36 AM Post #33 of 101
I love this thread!!! xD So now everyone liking a high-fidelity sound should get out of this thread, that happens to be on Head-Fi? It´s alright for me if OP gets the Beats, it´s not my money wasted. :D

Dec 20, 2010 at 8:42 AM Post #34 of 101
IF you don't want beats haters to comment, how do you expect honest opinions?

@sugarkang

I'm so sick of people thinking that people who listen to hip-hop must love big bass and nothing else. I listen to quite a bit of hip-hop and hate big bad quality thumping bass. Way to insult people who like hip-hop and don't like hip-hop. Way to sterotypify Europeans.

Furthermore, Dr Dre is a world class producer. Are you honestly that ignorant to not think that Dr Dre would actually use these while producing and that the Beats are merely a marketing job (and a good one at that).

Dec 20, 2010 at 10:40 AM Post #35 of 101

Quote:
IF you don't want beats haters to comment, how do you expect honest opinions?

@sugarkang

I'm so sick of people thinking that people who listen to hip-hop must love big bass and nothing else. I listen to quite a bit of hip-hop and hate big bad quality thumping bass. Way to insult people who like hip-hop and don't like hip-hop. Way to sterotypify Europeans.

Furthermore, Dr Dre is a world class producer. Are you honestly that ignorant to not think that Dr Dre would actually use these while producing and that the Beats are merely a marketing job (and a good one at that).

I'm not sure if this is aimed at me, but I never said that. I believe in this: you can listen to hip-hop and still enjoy a very good - and balanced pair of headphones. But if you own and like the Beats, you are probably listening mainly to hip-hop. Hip-Hop lovers aren't necessarily stupid uneducated people. Beat lovers just haven't quite realized how good of a bass you can have FOR LESS MONEY.

And I absolutely agree that Dre does not use the Beats himself. Like the troll above mentioned, he is a really famous producer. I don't know how to make music better than he does, but I sure as hell know he doesn't use the Beats to work, and I sure as hell know way better headphones than the Beats at a lesser price. Dre never created them for audiophiles and producers, he created them for teens with too much money and too little knowledge. You're not stupid for buying the Beats, but you were probably misinformed.

Dec 20, 2010 at 11:39 AM Post #36 of 101
I listen to a LOT of hiphop (maybe one third of my collection is hiphop, that's thousands of songs) and absolutely love a great bass line.  I still can't stand Beats or Bose Tripods.

For those that have listened to tracks produced by Dre, you would see that he has great artistic abilities and produces amazing songs, which are absolutely not one-noted bass thumbers... when you listen to decent speakers or headphones; on Beats, a lot of tracks really do sound one-toned and the midbass grossly overpowers the upper bass and lower mids.  You lose so much from the song when listening to it... sure it'll sound a lot more like a nightclub or lounge, but it's not like very close to how good the track can sound.

Dec 20, 2010 at 1:28 PM Post #37 of 101

Quote:
Yeah, this is precisely what I was talking about. 
Let me guess "good bass" is only what you consider to be good.  
And what would hip hop culture be without the "thump, thump" one note as you call it?
Or is there a meta argument that you're making about hip hop music listeners?
Did you want to say that the people who like that sort of music are somehow inferior to you,
an educated, civilized descendant of Europeans? 

Maybe you should send an email to Dr. Dre and tell him that he is listening to his music incorrectly?
Better yet, why don't you ask him to turn down the bass in his music, because obviously you know how to create his music better!
Here let me get you started:

Dear Dr. Dre,

I think your music would be much better if you turned down the bass and increased your treble. 

Sincerely, Euro Guy.

You can keep your treble heavy phones if it sounds good to you. 
But please dear moderator, notice OP's original request: 
BEATS HATERS GET OUT.
At least for this thread, it seems that you are the troll.
You and your snickering automatons weren't solicited for this post. 
So why did you come in looking for trouble, Euro guy?

Quote:
Oh boy. No, we don't hate bass. We hate bad bass.

Bass that is sloppy and imprecise sucks. It all sounds like the same note.

Doesn't that get boring after awhile?

It really sucks when bass keeps you from hearing the mids and highs. Sometimes the vocals are just drowning in mud.

The very worst is when headphones (or speakers, for that matter) make bass that isn't there on the recording. Do you want to hear something that was never intended to be on the recording? That destroys the artistic integrity of the recording.

For those of you who just want a pulsating beat you can feel and don't give a rip about anything else, here's a plan for you. Go get $29 subwoofer at Pep Boys. Or from the swapmeet, because it doesn't matter. Do not buy an expensive one because - horror of horrors - it might reproduce bass accurately. You want cheap; trust me. If you're inclined to spend a lot of money, just buy more of them. Next, get some cheap plywood and build a subwoofer cabinet. Just use a jigsaw and a drill. Don't worry about precision because you want the cabinet to make noise on its own. Anything well-designed might make bass accurate, and that's the wrong approach. Next, find an old PA amp or a cheap car subwoofer amp. Do not buy a nice amp. You need one that's kinda crappy and does not have good control over the subwoofer.

Don't bother with mids or tweeters. Since you don't care about those, it won't matter. Besides, they'll just get drowned out by the subwoofer.

Now hook it all up and play music. Thump, thump, thump. You'll be happy and should have all you care about in the music. Plus this will be a lot cheaper than buying decent headphones or speakers.

do you seriously think that that Dr Dre wants everyone to listen to his music with hugely boost, flabby, uncontrolled bass???? no, absolutely not, and if you feel he does you're delusional.

were saying that you should want to listen to the music how Dr Dre meant it to be listened too. we want accurate bass to how its put on the recording. what you want is bass thats boosted by 20db for some reason, and then you try to hide behind the fact that the bass is already loud on the recording, which is true, but its not that loud.

and as fallen angel said, Dr Dre is a very good producer, with much nuance and intricacy in his music, that you will sorely miss if you arent using an accurate sound reproduction device, and instead just want ridiculously overpowering bass that is out of control, slow and flabby.

we arent trying to hurt your appreciation of the music you listen too, because even i listen to some rap, mainly Eminem, but its mostly been produced my Dre, except for the newest album, but we're trying to increase your own appreciation of the music you listen too.

Edit: Also, i dont think that i or anyone else in this thread appreciates your insinuation that europeans(obviously you're implying caucasian's) somehow have a superiority complex, or that we arent able to like the same music. its insulting at the least, and most likely just blatant racism, so you should probably edit that portion out of your post

Dec 20, 2010 at 1:44 PM Post #38 of 101
the beats are good

Triumph-the-Insult-Comic-Dog.jpg

for me to poop on!

Dec 20, 2010 at 3:23 PM Post #40 of 101
He obviously doesn't give a crap or otherwise he would not have put his name on such an inferior product. His agent probably showed Dr. Dre a pic of a pair of headphones, said if you endorse these you'll make this much money and Dre was like yeah...looks good, put my name on them. The rest is tragedy...I mean history.

Quote:
do you seriously think that that Dr Dre wants everyone to listen to his music with hugely boost, flabby, uncontrolled bass???? no, absolutely not, and if you feel he does you're delusional.

Dec 20, 2010 at 3:35 PM Post #41 of 101
Well, think about it, the company behind the headphones is Monster (and they do have a reputation for overpriced crap with a lot of marketing as though it is actually good) and they just came out with another version of those headphones called JustBeats... by Justin Bieber. :)

Just imagine how cool would you be blasting 2Pac in Justin Bieber headphone! 

Dec 20, 2010 at 3:38 PM Post #42 of 101
Oh God...here comes another wave of "Are JustBeats good for...." in the headphone section.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back