Need recomends for headphones in ~$150~ range
Dec 11, 2003 at 10:38 PM Post #31 of 39
Shinji,

I once ordered a pair of speakers based purely on recommendations (glowing magazine reviews as well as user reviews) but had to sell them b/c I just plain didn't like em. Lost around $200 in that transaction.

Since then I've learned that when buying audio equipments, its best to test it out first. Reviews and recommendations do help weed out the clear losers. But nothing beats personal auditioning.

If internet purchase is necessary, then always pick the store that has a return policy. The price might not be as low as the bargain stores, but you'll end up happier in the end.

To make a long story short: don't put too much weight on recommendations. If you feel that the A-900 ain't right for you, then return it (i assume audio cube has a return policy?).

Good luck!!

smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 11, 2003 at 11:07 PM Post #32 of 39
Quote:

Originally posted by Ticky
Shinji,

I once ordered a pair of speakers based purely on recommendations (glowing magazine reviews as well as user reviews) but had to sell them b/c I just plain didn't like em. Lost around $200 in that transaction.

Since then I've learned that when buying audio equipments, its best to test it out first. Reviews and recommendations do help weed out the clear losers. But nothing beats personal auditioning.

If internet purchase is necessary, then always pick the store that has a return policy. The price might not be as low as the bargain stores, but you'll end up happier in the end.

To make a long story short: don't put too much weight on recommendations. If you feel that the A-900 ain't right for you, then return it (i assume audio cube has a return policy?).

Good luck!!

smily_headphones1.gif

This strategy might workout for you as you live Washington DC...but if you tried that out here, you'd be forever damned to use streetstyles, or lower end Sennheisers...as that's all you can audition around here
frown.gif

edit: In regards to audiocubes, I'm pretty sure you can only return items which are defective...I wanted the A900's...so I had to take the plunge, as they're not available elsewhere...I personally am very glad I did...but others may feel differently.

Dec 11, 2003 at 11:54 PM Post #33 of 39
Quote:

Originally posted by Ticky
Shinji,

Good luck!!

smily_headphones1.gif

Hmm...there are a few Hi-Fi stores here, but I've never been to any of them. Other side of town and all. I could try is Sound Advice, where I know I could possibly get to safely to and back. You think somehwere like Sears, Comp. USA, etc. would demo some of the stuff listed on these threads?

Dec 12, 2003 at 12:06 AM Post #34 of 39
yeah... I have a hard time finding anything other than low end senns (I bought HD500's before coming to this site) at brick and mortar stores. I've heard fry's has some decent headphones but the closest one to me is 30 mins away. I guess go with the advice to shop on the internet and get headphones with a good return policy (like headroom). As for me, I just went ahead and took the plunge at a place with no returns, ordered some ety's a year ago and hadn't regretted it until all these damn shure e5c reviews started coming out =).

Dec 20, 2003 at 12:02 AM Post #35 of 39
Hmm...none of the suggested headphones around my area. I just may try to order some headphones off Headroom next week (once holidays are over). I'll be out $10 at most for shipping if I didn't like the headphones I get. One thing that surprises me is that only couple people recomended Grado's for me, since they're suppose to have good sound w/o need for a amp as w/the other choices.

I'm thinking of trying the Grado 125s. The main thing that confuses me about these are the what pads are you suppose to replace on them to be comfortable.
confused.gif
Sehn mods, bowl, large, etc.? Ones on the Headroom site?

Just remember, I've never heard any kind of Hi-Fi equipment, so I think anything I get initaly, I'll probably like. The most "Hi-Fi" equipment I have (and isn't Hi-Fi), is the Cerwin Vega 5.1 speakers (which take up to much space any more...trying to sell).
So my ears aren't to well trained is this sort of stuff.
cool.gif
As long as it plays dialog well (especialy female voices), gets me decent music from my RPGs and videogame/anime OSTs, I'll be happy. Good soundstage is still important for FPS, but I only play Team Fortress Classic and Counter Strike (till TFC2 and CS2 come out
evil_smiley.gif
), but I really only play them a couple hours a week (untill said TFC2/CS2 come out, that is).

Well, I hope that all makes since. ^^;; Thx in advance.
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 20, 2003 at 1:39 AM Post #36 of 39
wsup man. A900's are great headphones. if you like anime, i just finished watching some eps of gundam seed with these things on and they gave me good, accurate sound.

for cs/ hl mods, A900 sound awesome and very detailed, which makes people think you're using a wallhack because you can hear EVERY little sound.

i'm not sure about female vocals for A900's, but if you give me a song, i'll try listening and tell you how good they are for your music taste.

from what i've gathered, Grado's are good for vocal type music so they might be good for you. HD-580's probably aren't that good for vocals (they sound real smooth and different from A900), but sound real good in everything (probably will sound better if i got an amp). the HD-590's sounded alright when i listened to them at a local Good Guy's store, but again, they would prolly sound better with an amp.

if you want some pics of the A900, you can go here for pics i just took not too long ago.

Dec 20, 2003 at 5:03 PM Post #37 of 39
Originally posted by ch1nkster
wsup man. A900's are great headphones. if you like anime, i just finished watching some eps of gundam seed with these things on and they gave me good, accurate sound.

for cs/ hl mods, A900 sound awesome and very detailed, which makes people think you're using a wallhack because you can hear EVERY little sound.
Quote:

i'm not sure about female vocals for A900's, but if you give me a song, i'll try listening and tell you how good they are for your music taste.

Hmm...here are some mp3 samples that I like (they're theme songs from Bishoujo games, couple megs).
http://kagami.pettanko.net/arkham/lu.../luvnatier.mp3
http://kagami.pettanko.net/caramel-b...trailer_02.mp3
http://kagami.pettanko.net/circus/sa...dls/opdlsh.mp3 (this one's just mostly female dialog, not a song).
http://botan.sakura.ne.jp/~falcom/movie/FSB_DEMO.wmv (this especialy is the kind of music I like listening to).

If you give me your opions on how they do one those, I think I might be sold on those. ^^

Quote:

from what i've gathered, Grado's are good for vocal type music so they might be good for you. HD-580's probably aren't that good for vocals (they sound real smooth and different from A900), but sound real good in everything (probably will sound better if i got an amp). the HD-590's sounded alright when i listened to them at a local Good Guy's store, but again, they would prolly sound better with an amp.

Ah, good to hear they're good for vocal type music. Thanks for the input. At least I know they're be a good alternative if I don't go with the A900s.

Quote:

if you want some pics of the A900, you can go here for pics i just took not too long ago.

As I said in the other thread, they look great. I'm tempted to reconsider them now. Man, Japan must love me this month. $300 in import games and OSTs, and now possibly headphones.

Also:
Quote:

they kinda look like those things that Shinji puts on his head in Neon Genesis Evangelion the anime).

I don't see how that's true. Shinji where's earbuds when listening to that same cassest all the time. I'm a big Eva fan myslef.
biggrin.gif

Dec 28, 2003 at 6:50 PM Post #38 of 39
Okay, I truely decided. After researching for another week,I finaly put my order in for the ATH-900s (and this time, I made no mistakes on my CC info.) Processing now, so hopefuly it'll ship soon and maybe I'll have it before the end of the week. It seems in the end. basing on all the threads I've read thus far, these have to be the ones for me short of those CD3ks I've seen it compared to (though, I don't have that kinda budget...well, I could, but I would of have to given up the $300 of import games/osts I ordered this month). Then again, it's probably best that I didn't get a set that's to revealing, since my source isn't audiophile level.

Thanks everyone for your input. Once I get them, and get to test them out well, I'll post on how I like them. Then I'll have to put a block on this site, before my wallet can get hurt anymore!
wink.gif
j/k Having a anime/manga/videogame hobby is bad enough! Especialy when you import! Much less do I need a fourth hobby to drain my wallet.

Jan 11, 2004 at 7:01 PM Post #39 of 39
Finaly got them two days ago. Man, these things are awesome. I don't think I'll be able to listen to my speakers the same again. The sound is so crisp and clean. Everything sounds accurate. Anime sounds great. Voices are almost intimate. MP3s sound decent, and my OSTs are just fantasic with them on. Bass is good as well. And watching something like the Matrix or Lord of the Rings with 5.1/DTS, I wouldn't of thought it was possible to sound this good coming from two channels.
smily_headphones1.gif

The only thing I haven't tested it on is CS and TFC. Streamloader isn't running them for some reason. :/ Need to look into it.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I should of ordered these sooner. Hell, I just leave them on with no music and it blocks out 70% of the noise from my computer. So it's a major plus to silience those loud fans.

Best. $200. Spent. Period.
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back