Need recomends for headphones in ~$150~ range
Dec 5, 2003 at 1:06 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 39

Kinomoto Shinji

New Head-Fier
Looking for a pair of headphones for around $150. I've never actualy had a chance
to listen to any decent ones, so this is kinda unknown to me. I've already
spent about a week lurking here, trying to get a idea of whats out there for my price range. But, these
seem to be the best from my search results:

Sennheiser HD 590
Sennheiser HD HD 580

My source(s) that I would be hooking them up to:
My PC using the Hercules GTXP. (mainly for playing FPS and some import action RPGs like Ys VI)
Panasonic XP30 for DVDs (mostly anime)
PS2/GCN/DC for gaming (mostly RPG, Fighting, and Action/Adventure type games)

I mostly want to use them for gaming and dvd viewing. But I'll listen to anime/video game OSTs here and there. Crisp, clear
clean dialog is very important to me. Also, when playing FPS like CS and TFC, I like to a pair where I can really tell
where everything is coming from. Good sense like I'm in the game. Decent bass is nice, but not a must. Just need to be immersed
in it, that's all. Also, if I plan on hooking it up to the speaking input on my my reciever (that decodes DTS, DPII, DD5.1),
how are movies that are 5.1/DTS? From research on these forums, it sounds like I can get good results, but some list processors
you need to use. If I already have a reciever, do I really need anything else? Well, expect a amp if I go for the 580s. How
much would I need to spend for a decent amp if I went with the 580s as opposed to the 590s (which I read don't need a amp, correct?).

Any other suggestions? I've seem some others in my price range, but I really don't want closed ones since it sounds like you sacrifice some sound quality as opposed to open ones. But alot of those require a amp (which I'm not sure how much I would need to spend on).

Thanks in advance.

Dec 5, 2003 at 1:17 AM Post #2 of 39
I'm new to this also, so don't listen to what I say. I have a set of HD 580's and I like them alot. They may not be the best for gaming but I have played e few with them and they work great for me.

Dec 5, 2003 at 1:41 AM Post #4 of 39
Welcome to the audio fanatic's chit-chat site!!
smily_headphones1.gif

The 580s are great phones for their price. And its not too hard to drive. I used to own the 580 - it since died from my lack of care... but now i have the 600s so all is well
wink.gif
- and I could get reasonably loud volumes from my old panasonic portable cd player. You might be able to make do with the 580s without an amp for the time being.

Also, as Jessica00 suggested, the 280s might be a good phone too. I don't think its true that you have to sacrifice sound quality with closed designs. (uh oh... i foresee some heated debates to follow). A well designed closed headphone could sound mighty good. I used to own a Sony V-900 (?) - can't remember the model.. its been 8 years - and they were quite good. I compared it back to back with my 580s and the Sonys held up well despite its slightly lower price.

Quote:

Originally posted by Kinomoto Shinji
Also, if I plan on hooking it up to the speaking input on my my reciever (that decodes DTS, DPII, DD5.1),
how are movies that are 5.1/DTS?

Not quite sure what you meant by this.
confused.gif
But perhaps others could help you out with it.

Cheers

Dec 5, 2003 at 1:56 AM Post #5 of 39
I had a similar problem just recently. Let me start out by saying that my first pair of headphones were the sony mdr-7506's (same as v6's) and I absolutely love(d) them. They were less then $100. I also play CS and although I have a klipsch 4.1 400w speaker system, I still prefer wearing my 7506's when I want to play seriously. I can hear EVERYTHING... every little foot step. A lot of people thought I was wall hacking... got me kicked from servers sometimes... yeah sad. I also did happen to use them while I watched DVDs and I personally really enjoyed them. By the way, I too love animes. Ghost in the Shell is one of my all time favorites. I got the 7506's around 4 years ago and now I wanted to move up to even better cans.

In a thread I recently started (http://www4.head-fi.org/forums/showt...threadid=52677), I was considering to buy the HD580's, but I was convinced that I'd be better off with what seems like the best headphones that DON'T require an amp (but do benefit from one), the Audio-Technica ATH-A900's. They are ~$200 and I was told that they have the same signature sound as the 7506's, but everything is better and they're way more comfortable and look amazing. By the way, the 7506's are indeed comfortable (I heard esp. with the beyer 250 pad mod), but I was looking for something that won't be fatigueing to me even after like 8hrs.

So here's what I recommend from my "research" on this forum and internet sites:
-If you don't want to go over $150, then the HD590's
-If you want to spend $200, then the A900's
-If you want to spend money on a decent amp, then the HD580/600's

good luck. I'm ordering the A900's either tonight or tomorrow.

Dec 5, 2003 at 3:55 AM Post #6 of 39
Wow. 4 replies in under a hour.

Hmm..those A900's look really interesting reading that thread and review of them. I'm willing to go over $150 if it means considerable jump in AQ if I don't have to get a amp. Hmm..considering I live a mile away from a traintrack, maybe some closed ones wouldn't be to bad of I idea. I'll look more into those. Plus, it would be nice to use them on my a portable if I ever would need to take them on the go.

Any more thoughts about the A900's or anything else? I'm open to suggestions.

Dec 5, 2003 at 4:13 AM Post #7 of 39
Senn 580 give you the most room for upgrading your source.

For dialogue, Grados rule! You could find 125's for under $150. Some think the 225 are a notable step up. I use the 325.

Dec 5, 2003 at 4:30 AM Post #8 of 39
Although I don't own a pair and now you're looking to go portable, I hear that the Ety's are awesome. My friend has a pair and swears by them. The depth and clarity are supposed to be exellent. Since you don't care about bass and you don't want an amp they may be the way to go for you. See, that's the problem with this place. You won't get a definite answer from anyone. All you get is confused. Lol. There is no cut and dry answer for ANY headphone question. Everyone has their own opinion and no one is wrong! Good luck! I could tell you that the ear buds that came with my free FM radio is the way to go and no one would blink an eye. Alright, maybe they would....
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 5, 2003 at 9:48 AM Post #10 of 39
I'm very happy with my HD590s, using them unamped out of the Soundstorm setup on my motherboard. I'm putting them to much the same use you will be, they're performing admirably.

Dec 5, 2003 at 10:02 AM Post #11 of 39
Quote:

Originally posted by Chizzler
Although I don't own a pair and now you're looking to go portable, I hear that the Ety's are awesome. My friend has a pair and swears by them. The depth and clarity are supposed to be exellent. Since you don't care about bass and you don't want an amp they may be the way to go for you.

@Chizzler

Sorry, but I don't want ear canal phones. I really don't like anything being crammed in my ears for hours on end. I can't even stand having earplugs in my ears, so canal one's I'll have to scratch off. Also, portable isn't necessary. If I do use them for portable use, it would be like once a month or something. I don't have the time to listen to stuff when I'm on the go. Thanks for the suggestion. I

Quote:

See, that's the problem with this place. You won't get a definite answer from anyone. All you get is confused. Lol. There is no cut and dry answer for ANY headphone question. Everyone has their own opinion and no one is wrong! Good luck!

I could tell that from lurking here for the week. Heh. Believe me, I don't except a definate answer. As long as I can narrow down suggestionsfrom others that have similair listening habits as me, I think I'll be less confused...maybe.

Dec 5, 2003 at 10:28 AM Post #12 of 39
Quote:

Originally posted by jessica00
eh, for anime dvd's you can save yourself some money and get HD-280 pro's

I'd agree the 280 is a good all around can that will work well with gaming, dvd and music. As an added bonus it has great isolation so you don't have to hear the fans in your computer. If you do get them, remember that they take about 100 hours to fully burn in and about a week or two to become comfortable to wear.
280smile.gif

-EDIT-

Oh yeah, they can be had for $60 - $70...

Dec 5, 2003 at 11:53 AM Post #13 of 39
I have just received my new Ultrasone HFI-650s (dvd edition). They are supposed to be very similar to the regular 650s, with a bit more bass slam. Also, they are at least within striking distance of your price range (check out meier-audio.de). BTW, Dr. Meier is an incredibly great guy to deal with.

Having owned some Beyer DT880s, Senn PX100s and PX200s, this is the first headphone I've found that has the ability to satisfy my all of my listening tastes - from rock to metal to country to r&b.

As to your comment about not wanting to go with a closed can (worried it entailed too much of a sacrifice in terms of sound quality) . . . though I'm an admitted newbie, I don't believe I've sacrificed a thing! Moreover, I can listen at 5:45 a.m. (like I'm doing now) without waking the entire house!!

Dec 5, 2003 at 7:45 PM Post #14 of 39
Hmm...from doing search on all the different models everyone's listed, I'm thinking the ATH-A900 are really my best choice for my budget. They should sound good for gaming and all, with decent bass and sound stage. They're closed, but if they sound good and are comfortable, that's what really matters. I'll considering these the most out of all of them.

I was considering the HD-280's when someone mention the price, but probably better just to spend the money now, then go on a upgrade streak latter. I know I've done enough with my setup with my displays (going from my monitor, to a projector, to just a good interlaced set, who knows when I'll change next. ^^;; ).

Dec 5, 2003 at 11:00 PM Post #15 of 39
Yeah, the Ety's aren't for everyone. Your reason is the same one I don't own a set.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back