Need help to disassembly an iFi Micro iDSD V1
Feb 24, 2023 at 4:45 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

pcsgcs

Head-Fier
DSC_0307.JPG

So here we go. Before sending the device to my regional ifi certified technician to charge me around 400eur for a brand new battery which goes beyond scam, I wanna play my cards and see if this TP4056 module can miraculously revive it which btw was recommended to me by a guy in another forum!

Now I'm stuck at tearing the front panel apart and hopefully get the pcb out in order to connect the module to the battery and pray not to blow up on my face when connecting it to the phone charger.

This front panel seems to get stuck around the volume knob area and dont wanna force it much more, looks like is gonna break if I pull it.

I'm honestly disgusted with iFi's customer support. I've been messaging them for around a month going nowhere. The only thing I got in return was my time wasted. Don't even wanna imagine if this thing happened to a 700eur or more product of theirs.

Feb 24, 2023 at 9:36 AM Post #2 of 22
Feb 24, 2023 at 10:13 AM Post #3 of 22
Feb 24, 2023 at 10:32 AM Post #4 of 22
Feb 24, 2023 at 10:49 AM Post #5 of 22
Have you spoken with @iFi audio here?
Not yet, but I don't believe is gonna change anything. In fact, I think the customer support here is worse than the one available through their own page.

Is all clear. They don't wanna have anything to do with this obsolete/deprecated device. Can't send it to any of their official centers either uk, poland or holland. The one in my country can't inspect it cause "they don't have the schemes and stuff related to the device", although they can ask for more than 400eur for a battery change I HAVE TO BE THE ONE DECIDING IF THAT'S THE ACTUAL PROBLEM.

Ifi products are for sure fantastic, heck they have no rival; they are competing with themselves. But if this is what's gonna happen when the device has no warranty left, I'm honestly scared to buy a brand new one.

Now I'm unsure whether to take the front cover out or not. After reading that thread, stuff might brake. I don't even know how to take that knob out securely or if it is mandatory to do so for the panel to be pulled out. Chances are is gonna end up in the trash bin fairly soon. Oh well.

Feb 25, 2023 at 3:46 AM Post #6 of 22
Hi @Currawong @ClieOS @MrA1ex Do you guys know how to take this device apart: considerations, tricks, stuff to look out for... Mine has the front panel stuck at the volume knob side (below this knob looks like it's connected to something preventing it from pulling out: perhaps silicon, another screw, other unknown? I’ve seen people few people took the knob out but other didn't. Is not mandatory to do so, right? But even then, how do you take it apart without breaking it. Cheers.

Feb 25, 2023 at 4:36 AM Post #7 of 22
I haven't touched my iDSD for awhile. Give me sometime and I'll see if I can take mine apart.

Feb 25, 2023 at 4:59 AM Post #9 of 22
Bater-a-de-pol-mero-de-litio-para-equipo-m-dico-equipo-de-comunicaci-n-Dron.jpg_Q90.jpg_.webp

A guy recommended me this battery as a replacement: Link

It has the exact same pin structure. It includes the transistor (yellow cable). Now, will it fit inside the case? iFi Original: 75x55x10 mm vs Aliexpress: 120x45x7 mm (can expand up to 150x65x7.4 mm).

On one note, the cost of this battery shipping included (14 euro) is way lower than a replacement at iFi directly (is it really 89 pounds?) and much less than a replacement at a """certified""" affiliate iFi technical center at my place (not even worth mentioning the price again).

Feb 25, 2023 at 9:50 AM Post #10 of 22
I’d much appreciate it if you do but be careful, it might end up in the same place as mine

I actually took mine apart a long time ago when I were writing its review just to check out the PCB layout, didn't publich any picture though.

Anyway, took it apart again for you:

First, remove the switches by unplugging them. Use a small stick (or anything similar), go beneath them and pry them out.

A1.JPG

The volume knob is fitted in by fiction and just need to pry out with force. Yes, I used a metal earpick to go under it and slowly pry it out. You will dent it for sure. Technically you don't need to remove it to slide the PCB fron the front, but it is a lot easier to slide the PCB out from the back so I do recommend taking the volume knob out.

A2.JPG

The 3 switches on the side are going to be blocked by the housing when you try to slide the PCB out. Just push them slightly upward so they can fit into the channel opening to slide out. You wilkl need to repeat this a few times (also when fitting them back in).

A3.JPG

Once you slide the PCB a few centimeter, you will notice 2 metal pins pop out on the back PSB. Just remember to compress them back when you slide the PCB back.

A4.JPG

The stock battery measured around 70mm x 50mm x 9mm. You have to use something similar or smaller, otherwise you might not be able to fit them back as it is very tight inside the case. I didn't take the battery out as I have no reason to - plus it is double taped to the PCB.

A5.JPG

Last edited:
Feb 25, 2023 at 3:19 PM Post #11 of 22
I actually took mine apart a long time ago when I were writing its review just to check out the PCB layout, didn't publich any picture though.

Anyway, took it apart again for you:

First, remove the switches by unplugging them. Use a small stick (or anything similar), go beneath them and pry them out.

A1.JPG

The volume knob is fitted in by fiction and just need to pry out with force. Yes, I used a metal earpick to go under it and slowly pry it out. You will dent it for sure. Technically you don't need to remove it to slide the PCB fron the front, but it is a lot easier to slide the PCB out from the back so I do recommend taking the volume knob out.

A2.JPG

The 3 switches on the side are going to be blocked by the housing when you try to slide the PCB out. Just push them slightly upward so they can fit into the channel opening to slide out. You wilkl need to repeat this a few times (also when fitting them back in).

A3.JPG

Once you slide the PCB a few centimeter, you will notice 2 metal pins pop out on the back PSB. Just remember to compress them back when you slide the PCB back.

A4.JPG

The stock battery measured around 70mm x 50mm x 9mm. You have to use something similar or smaller, otherwise you might not be able to fit them back as it is very tight inside the case. I didn't take the battery out as I have no reason to - plus it is double taped to the PCB.

A5.JPG
Thank you so much. I honestly didn’t expect someone to actually do a step-by-step tutorial like this. Will soon tear mine down and keep you guys updated.

Feb 26, 2023 at 4:50 AM Post #12 of 22
1677404269183.jpeg

Mine cannot slide out from the front without taking the volume knob out cause the black piece of plastic (SPDIF IN/OUT) is too high up getting blocked by the left rail. I legit cannot push it down. The only way is to slide the pcb from the back like you did, but that implies to take the knob out which im not sure how to without breaking it. It seems to tighten up it refuses to get out. I’ve tried with a little metal “toothpick”, cannot get beneath the knob. By hand force pulling it out doesn’t seem a good idea either. Might get mad in the end and yank it off with a bunch of pliers.

Feb 26, 2023 at 5:25 AM Post #13 of 22
DSC_0307.JPG
So here we go. Before sending the device to my regional ifi certified technician to charge me around 400eur for a brand new battery which goes beyond scam, I wanna play my cards and see if this TP4056 module can miraculously revive it which btw was recommended to me by a guy in another forum!

Now I'm stuck at tearing the front panel apart and hopefully get the pcb out in order to connect the module to the battery and pray not to blow up on my face when connecting it to the phone charger.

This front panel seems to get stuck around the volume knob area and dont wanna force it much more, looks like is gonna break if I pull it.

I'm honestly disgusted with iFi's customer support. I've been messaging them for around a month going nowhere. The only thing I got in return was my time wasted. Don't even wanna imagine if this thing happened to a 700eur or more product of theirs.

I'm sorry to hear that you had a bad experience with our support. 400 Euros for a brand battery for our micro range is nowhere near what we charge. Can you please provide me with details (a ticket number would help!) how that conversation went? I'll be more than happy to help you out :)

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Feb 26, 2023 at 5:36 AM Post #14 of 22
They don't wanna have anything to do with this obsolete/deprecated device.

Quite the contrary! We service old and long-discontinued products as long as we have spare parts for them and we've been fixing even old micro iDSDs ever since I can remember :)

Mine cannot slide out from the front without taking the volume knob out cause the black piece of plastic (SPDIF IN/OUT) is too high up getting blocked by the left rail. I legit cannot push it down. The only way is to slide the pcb from the back like you did, but that implies to take the knob out which im not sure how to without breaking it. It seems to tighten up it refuses to get out. I’ve tried with a little metal “toothpick”, cannot get beneath the knob. By hand force pulling it out doesn’t seem a good idea either. Might get mad in the end and yank it off with a bunch of pliers.

If you'd like to dismantle the product on your own, the guide above nails it. Here's the correct order of doing this:

1. Remove the volume knob
2. Remove the screw that holds the pot in place
3. Remove the front plate
3. Remove all rubber buttons
4. Remove the rear plate
5. Gently push the PCB towards the rear until it goes out

Here it's worth knowing that if your battery is old, it's most likely swollen inside. That's why removing that PCB with the battery on top may require some force. Once the PCB is out, you may want to very gently remove the battery as it's firmly glued to capacitors and you don't want to remove these too. That's the gist of it!

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Feb 26, 2023 at 7:29 AM Post #15 of 22
By hand force pulling it out doesn’t seem a good idea either. Might get mad in the end and yank it off with a bunch of pliers.
Actually you do really need to force it. It is very tight.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back