Need Help identifying / Correcting PC Audio Hiss
Jul 13, 2020 at 2:23 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

LoryWiv

Headphoneus Supremus
I have been enjoying high quality audio with a black background with my PC Audio gear per signature below for over a year, until the last several weeks when an annoying low level hiss has become evident during music playback. It is especially noticeable in quiet passages of classical piano music, my favorite genre, and driving me a bit batty!

I did add the Furman power conditioner in April at which time I also removed an iFi iGalvanic, but the hiss began some weeks later. I've worked through the usual troubleshooting steps, re-securing all connections, adding back the iGalvanic between PC and Singxer as it was before (no effect), assuring all components are plugged into the Furman to minimize ground loop potential, opening the PC and using compressed air on fans to remove dust etc... All of these steps produced no appreciable attenuation of the hiss. I even cleaned my ears of wax with peroxide 3 consecutive days in case there was unrecognized accumulation casing tinnitus or some "host factor" rather than gear factor. No difference. Using my go to software HQPlayer versus FooBar both produced the hiss, although it may have been a tad less with Foobar (less resolving, less DSP, or perhaps just my imagination?). Next, to determine if it might be my Singxer DDC, Matrix DAC, Elise amp or ZMF Auteur at fault, today I used my Shanling M1 DAP as PC USB DAC, output to 64 Audio or Linsoul IEM's, completely bypassing those 4 desktop listening components, and the exact same level of his was audible. Even more interesting was that the Shanling DAC has a timed function wherein it auto-stops 10-15 seconds after playback ends, and voila, once the DAC disengaged the hiss was gone!

I'm a bit stumped. I think the above results isolate the issue to PC noise origin, and admittedly it is not a dedicated audio PC. But why now after previously no issues with same gear, might there be a component going bad? I would have thought running the PC USB out to Singxer than Singxer I2S to Matrix DAC would have eliminated USB noise, but perhaps there are other PC sources of hiss even though USB is my only interface out to the audio equipment. Next step may be to remove the Furman although it's situated rather inaccessibly and would be quite a chore to reconnect all, and seems counter-intuitive to replace those power connections into lesser quality power strips.

So apologies for the long post, but I welcome any and all suggestions and of course can provide more information if it will allow one of the forum cognizanti to help me troubleshoot.

Sincere thanks!

Last edited:
Jul 13, 2020 at 8:13 AM Post #2 of 7
It sounds to me like there might be a noise source added, like a mic or line input set to "listen" by somebody while you were away.

Can you check all your inputs to make sure that "listen to this device" isn't on?

You are already using WASAPI exclusive or ASIO output paths I suppose? Perhaps some screenshots of your software setup may help?

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Jul 13, 2020 at 3:06 PM Post #3 of 7
Thank you for your thoughts, Joe. I use ASIO and HQPlayer. do not have a mic connected and have verified windows settings correspond to no input. I am at work now bit if there are specific screen shots that you may find diagnostically helpful, please specify and I'll post this evening.

Sincere thanks!.

Last edited:
Jul 14, 2020 at 5:48 PM Post #4 of 7
Could the PC have updated USB drivers, or overwritten your manual config (the joy of Windows :D) - maybe worth reinstalling the drivers.

R.

Jul 14, 2020 at 6:46 PM Post #5 of 7
Great point, and yes I reinstalled the USB audio driver. Are there others I should reinstall as well?

Jul 14, 2020 at 7:34 PM Post #6 of 7
Great point, and yes I reinstalled the USB audio driver. Are there others I should reinstall as well?
I can't think of anything else that would affect your USB card - perhaps try an aftermarket (cheap) USB card in a spare slot, and if that cures it, you can buy an audio-centric card.

You could also test for ground noise by using a USB cable with the Ground/+5 physically dicosnnected...

Get thee to a RadioShack :D

Jul 17, 2020 at 2:42 PM Post #7 of 7
Update:

1. Removed ALL components from Furman power conditioner and used a common power strip -->no appreciable difference in hiss.
2. Re-made all connections securely: power, USB, RCA, I2S--> all cables flush and secure.
3. Bypassed my external kit and plugged HP's directly into the realtek chip / front panel audio on PC --> also no reduction in hiss, perhaps a bit more extraneous noise (not surprisingly).

Both of the above were tested using HQP and FooBar to eleimante software effect.

My conclusions thus far are that I may have PC noise including but not limited to USB bus, and some component of tinnitus that is subclinical most of the time but evident during careful music listening.

Having an audiogram next Tuesday and also considering iFi's iSilencer, iPurifier or iDefender, although it's hard to determine which may have most potential benefit as their product profiles seem to overlap and thus confuse me a bit.

Other thoughts / suggestions welcomed!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back