*-* Need help choosing an open can *-* Suggestions? *-*
Jul 27, 2010 at 7:09 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

Kouzelna

500+ Head-Fier

HI Everybody,

Early this year I had an accident which really fried both my ears.  Really, really unfortunate.  Talk about bad luck for an audiophile.

The right recovered, but the left is still so sensitive that listening with my Mark Lawton modified MD2000 causes it to ring, even at lower volumes.  I even bought a new MP3 player as a source to my Glow One, and dialed down the bass using a custom EQ setting, figured that'd take care of it.  Still rang.  I assume this is because of the awesome strength of that driver in the Denons.  Very sad.  

I don't have the problem nearly as often with my Etymotic ER-4. So  I figure a nice pair of full-sized open ended cans would be great.  (If I find one that sounds great and matches up with the Glow, I will have to sell my beloved MD2000 just for budget reasons - so ya know).

Previous open can experience:

HD650 - perfect sound, but very rolled off.  I heard the famous "veil" and it really bothered me as the music always sound so restrained.  The 600 and 555 are much cheaper, any comparison?

Beyerdynamic DT880 32-Ohm - awesome headphone for detail and spaciousness. I loved that about it, and would like to find it in another open can. But the sibilance made it unlistenable.  And anyway it was not nearly as good as the MD2000 in SQ.

What I'm running now:

I'm now running the MD2000 with a Glow One tube amp, and it's awesome.  The Glow does not have that warm tube sound coloration.  It is crystal clear.  It is very crisp, clear and utterly neutral.  It sounds like the music is coming from outer space.

I will do a review of the Glow if a few people ask.

I listen to primarily Vocal Trance and Trance through the Glow and headphones, at night when no one's around.  That's primarily what I bought the rig for.

ANYWAY.... 
regular_smile .gif

I've been really enjoying the sound of the modified Denons.  One thing I'd change, is the soundstage, and that's not because it lacks - it's awesome!  But it's so good, that I'd love to switch to an open can to achieve even more of that spaciousness I love, while cutting down on the force of the Denon driver directly into that left ear.

Tough call.  Can you give me any feedback on a good open can that you've found to be as superior in quality as the MD2000?  Nothing I've heard has ever come close.  Not even remotely.  

D.

Jul 27, 2010 at 9:07 PM Post #3 of 15
Perhaps if you could try an AKG 701 through your amp you may like it. I've only tried them un-amped but I think that through a good amp they may be just what you are looking for. They have the soundstage, clarity, and less bass, though more defined and controlled then the D2000's (havent heard the MD's) I think its atleast worth a shot.

Jul 27, 2010 at 9:08 PM Post #4 of 15
Really glad you mentioned that verse, patabird.  Helps me keep things in great perspective when looking to buy even more stuff!  Will definitely sell my MD2000 if/when I get an open can to replace it.

As for the 701, that was mentioned by several friends.  But one also mentioned that if I thought the DT880 was too bright, then I would hate the 701.  

Anyone feel that the 701 and/or DT880 250-Ohm would be less bright, more rounded off and therefore less fatiguing through a strong tube amp like the Glow One?

Jul 28, 2010 at 1:19 PM Post #6 of 15
OK wind016, that's good to know and settles the issue on the 701.  

Lunatique keeps telling me to shoot for neutrality and accuracy, and I'm going to take that advice.  The Glow presents the most neutral and accurate tone I've ever heard besides the colder Grace 901.  The Glow in my opinion sounds more natural and pleasing.

So that takes me back to the Sennheiser 650 or 600.  These I recall are extraordinarily natural and accurate.  

My Question:  Which do you feel are "better" suited for Vocal Trance music?  Any difference?

What I love about Vocal Trance when presented through great cans, is the very wide soundstage, panning effects and layers of sound, and the warm and intimate midrange vocal presentation.  Of course, harsh highs here can ruin your day, so that has to be good.

I'm happy to sacrifice on the bass as Trance has way too much anyway for my tastes.  Hearing it in an M50 was like being in a club when you shoulda gone home to bed - for all you bass heads out there, you'd love it!

Now since I owned them both, the 650 and 600, but at very different times and years ago, here's all I can remember:

In 2000 I had a great tube headphone amp from Wheatfield's Peter Millet, the HA-1, and I used an HD600 with that, and I remember just being in love with it.  Spending night after night throwing in old CDs and just glowing at the awesome sound of it all.

In 2004 I had a Grace 901 with an HD650, and I remember thinking the amp was merciless and "perfectly cold" and the cans were veiled: kinda dark, with the music never really "springing to life."  I eventually sold them and stuck with my ER-4 for a while.

Compared for example to both the M50 and the MD2000, the 650 was just too laid back, though utterly perfect in accurate presentation to my ears.

Neither were bass heavy, or too bright by a long shot.

Jul 28, 2010 at 2:10 PM Post #7 of 15
With some hearing damage, I would assume that you want some headphones that sound quite good at low volume levels.  In my experience, a lot of cans, like the HD800s for example, don't tend to show what they're truly capable of unless you drive them to higher volumes.

Based on what you describe, you might want to look into the Audez'e LCD-2s.  They are described as very natural sounding, with a good soundstage and imaging, and treble that is crisp and accurate without being fatiguing.  I've also read comments that they are outstanding for low-volume listening.

They are expensive (~$1000), and there's currently a wait list to get them, but they may be an excellent match for what you are looking for.  Just a thought, anyway.

Jul 28, 2010 at 9:21 PM Post #9 of 15
Unfortunately, I have to stay at a lower price range.  A divorce, then a 'change of careers' we'll say, greatly reduced my income level.  Anyway, the idea is to keep my total rig about $1,000 or less.  That leaves about $300 left for headphones.  :D

After a long day of research and phone calls, it's boiled down to an AKG K701 or a HD600.  ?Your Thoughts?

Jul 29, 2010 at 7:52 AM Post #10 of 15
It's been a long time since I've listened to the HD600s, but I do have a pair of K701s.  In your situation, I would probably go with the HD600s.  They should overall be less fatiguing to listen to, as well as more versatile with respect to music of different genres.  The K701s do some things remarkably well, but they tend to be picky about amplification and can get a little bright.

Jul 31, 2010 at 2:06 AM Post #13 of 15
Well guys and gal (do we have one?), here's the way it's worked out so far:

I found a fairly new, 100 hours only, K701 on Amazon for $210 incl. shipping and the guy turned out to be really cool.  And it's close by.  So I got it.

Same day, another cool guy, close by, hit me up for a trade for his HD650 with a Cardas, for my MD2000 and a little cash.  So I took that too.

They're both on their way and they should both be here Tuesday.  So I'll rejoin the thread with some tasting notes on Wednesday, hopefully.  If not, I gotta go babysit my 4 year old nephew and 10 year old niece 'til Saturday, so I'll then get the notes up Monday.  But whatever, they'll get up soon, along with a fat review of my Glow Audio One with both those cans, the MD2000 (got my notes ready), and my ER-4P.  

So, there you go.  Something to look forward to.  I'll stick it all up in a single thread, and mark a link here.  So we all have something to look forward to, and I have very bleary eyes and sore typing fingers to look forward to.  

P.S.  Pataburd that's a great suggestion on the DT880 600.  I'll keep that in mind, and also suggest it to a friend and continue begging him for a 3-day borrow.  I think he's showering with the thing by now, he just won't let it go.  

beerchug.gif

Jul 31, 2010 at 3:15 AM Post #14 of 15
Two popular choices that do different things, for sure. Nicely done. Congrats.

Jul 31, 2010 at 10:26 AM Post #15 of 15
Late answer, but if Beyers are too annoying because of the highs, there's a pair of K601s FS at TTVJ.com.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back