need for warm headphones
Aug 21, 2012 at 8:48 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

squirrelboy1210

Head-Fier
k after extending my collection a bit, i have to say i am totally not cool with bright headphones, especially since they hurt your ears at higher volumes. what i'm looking for are warm, full sized, closed headphones, with clear (but not too bright) treble and punchy bass. any suggestions?

Aug 21, 2012 at 8:51 AM Post #2 of 15
Budget?

Philips L1, Bowers & Wilkins P5 (but the P5 have special shaped "flat" pads which sits on ear but covers the entire ear though), M-Audio Q40 or Skullcandy Mix Masters Mike.

Aug 21, 2012 at 9:47 AM Post #3 of 15
DT770 PRO?

Aug 21, 2012 at 10:06 AM Post #4 of 15
Quote:
DT770 PRO?

Not a warm headphone in my ears, too much emphasized highs vs recessed mids. It's both the mids and bass versus highs balance which determines warmth, not just bass emphasis. If highs exceed either bass or mids, it's usually not very warm sounding. Fostex TRP50 for example are warm sounding headphones with its mid-centric sound with rolled-off bass and highs.

Aug 21, 2012 at 10:14 AM Post #5 of 15
Quote:

Not a warm headphone in my ears, too much emphasized highs vs recessed mids. It's both the mids and bass versus highs balance which determines warmth, not just bass emphasis. If highs exceed either bass or mids, it's usually not very warm sounding.

I know that. I just threw it in because my 770 PRO has subdued highs and lower bass emphasis compared to the regular DT770 and DT990.

Aug 21, 2012 at 10:16 AM Post #6 of 15
I'm looking for the same thing. It seems that many people associate exhausting treble and upper-mid range with the "hi-fi" sound, leaving fewer options for people who want something mellow and warm with tight, powerful bass that they can listen to for an entire day.

May 4, 2013 at 1:02 AM Post #10 of 15
Quote:
warm, full sized, closed headphones, with clear (but not too bright) treble and punchy bass. any suggestions?

Numark Electrowave... seriously, no kidding.  It's actually quite good and pretty much covers all the bases above.

May 4, 2013 at 2:06 AM Post #12 of 15
Another vote for the HD598. One of my all time favorites. You can't go wrong with them.

May 4, 2013 at 2:31 AM Post #13 of 15
Quote:
Sennheiser HD598. 

Originally Posted by Koolpep /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Another vote for the HD598.

Is there a new revision of the HD 598 out?  I don't remember it being a closed headphone. 
confused.gif

May 4, 2013 at 4:14 AM Post #14 of 15
Quote:
k after extending my collection a bit, i have to say i am totally not cool with bright headphones, especially since they hurt your ears at higher volumes. what i'm looking for are warm, full sized, closed headphones, with clear (but not too bright) treble and punchy bass. any suggestions?

I understand your concern. It is one I share. If you want a neutral sounding headphone with a bit of a bass punch (not too much :)), you might want to check out the jvc 700's. 

These headphones are very easy to modify. I tweaked the sound signature with a 'semi open' mod which opens up the midrange and high frequencies noticeably; fortunately, the headphones are still noise isolating: perhaps 10-15 dba. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back