Need an amp specifically for IEMs/Sensitive cans
Jun 25, 2020 at 1:36 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

GoldenSound

Previously known as GoldenOne
Sponsor: Headphones.com
So I'm currently looking for a desktop amp for use specifically with iems and sensitive headphones.

I've got an AHB2+Goldpoint SA2X which i'm using for anything that's moderately hard to drive. (And it works beautifully)

But I'm looking for something for iems specifically. I'd like an amp alone, rather than a DAP so that I can use my main DAC with it. XLR inputs are preferable.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Jun 25, 2020 at 1:45 PM Post #2 of 5
RME ADI-2 DAC FS has a special IEM circuit, but it is a dacamp, not a pure amp.

Jun 25, 2020 at 1:53 PM Post #3 of 5
So I'm currently looking for a desktop amp for use specifically with iems and sensitive headphones.

I've got an AHB2+Goldpoint SA2X which i'm using for anything that's moderately hard to drive. (And it works beautifully)

But I'm looking for something for iems specifically. I'd like an amp alone, rather than a DAP so that I can use my main DAC with it. XLR inputs are preferable.

Anyone have any suggestions?
Just make sure the amp has a low output impedance, less than 1 ohm. The Schiit Magni or Jotunheim, and any of the THX amps fit this criterion, as do many other amps.

Last edited:
Jun 25, 2020 at 2:38 PM Post #4 of 5
RME ADI-2 DAC FS has a special IEM circuit, but it is a dacamp, not a pure amp.
I did have an ADI-2 for a while and I agree the iem output is fantastic. Though its a bit more than i'm wanting to spend for this specific use given as I won't be using them a whole lot

Just make sure the amp has a low output impedance, less than 1 ohm. The Schiit Magni or Jotunheim, and any of the THX amps fit this criterion, as do many other amps.

There's a fair bit more to it than that though. Unfortunately I'm not a fan of the 789 on low/med gain. The way that the attenuation is set up makes it sound rather thin if it isn't on gain 3.

I'm looking for some subjective impressions of suitable choices if possible

Last edited:
Jun 25, 2020 at 3:48 PM Post #5 of 5
JDS Atom is what you're looking for. I have a JDS El Amp which is basically the same (only looks better and a bit more power) and it drives my IEMs absolutely without noisefloor.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back